    2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows XP

    Thanks.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 12, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:c7tq0p$kn5$:

    > Does any one know where I can download a trial version of Norton 2004 or
    > 2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows XP

    Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 12, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    jeremy Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    >Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    I used to like the Norton Utilities for two reasons; the easy access to
    cookies and the more user friendly defrag. When I was forced to upgrade
    and ended with Win2k pro, the utilities did not follow.

    What is a good cookie viewing and clean-up program?

    JJ

    jeremy, May 12, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    the 2002 version is XP compatible. It was the first retail XP compatible
    version for that matter.

    Thor, May 12, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:c7tq0p$kn5$:
    >
    > > Does any one know where I can download a trial version of Norton 2004 or
    > > 2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows XP

    > Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.

    I've come to the conclusion that NAV 2004 is crap-ola as well. I've now
    seen, and had to deal with countless instances where NAV 04 flat refuses to
    install, fails halfway through the installation for some unknown reason, or
    installs, but then refuses to load at startup. Then theres the new thing
    with NAV 2K4 wanting to phone home over the net about once each day. For
    dialup users this results in multiple dialup prompts at windows startup
    before NAV will even load up. Even setting DUN to never dial, doesn't seem
    to stop the damn thing. Pretty annoying. NAV has become such a bloated,
    invasive octopus of a program that it now seems to be hypersensitive to
    every little thing that isn't 100% kosher in windows. I've had systems that
    ran perfectly fine in all other aspects, but goddamn Norton 2K4 refuses to
    work. Had a system tonight that had a crapload of spyware, and a couple
    viruses on it. The customer tried to install Norton 2K4 but that just
    screwed things up worse. Granted, it would be tough to install a complex
    OS-integrated program like NAV under those circumstances, but even after
    removing all the spyware, the viruses, etc. and the system seems to be
    otherwise working fine now, Norton is now so hopelessly screwed up and will
    not uninstall, even when the CD's setup program attempts to remove the prior
    installation before reinstalling. So then I have to do the manual, tedious
    task of removing the umpteen million freaking registry entries, and multiple
    files and folders, and guess what? The damn NAV 2K4 installer STILL won't
    install. Something is hosed under the hood in windows, and it looks like
    it's going to take a complete windows reload to fix it just to get Norton to
    work. God I hate these. I virtually never had problems like this with the
    NAV 2K1, 2K2, and 2K3 versions. They were pretty reliable on the whole, and
    pretty trouble-free. 2K3 is becoming more like 2K4 though after Norton
    pushes a few program updates to it via live-update. I've seen 2K3 installs
    starting the phone-home crap a few times now as well, and I know they didn't
    do that when it was first released.

    Thor, May 12, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    bearman Guest

    > > > Does any one know where I can download a trial version of Norton 2004

    or
    > > > 2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows

    XP

    > > Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.

    > I've come to the conclusion that NAV 2004 is crap-ola as well. I've now
    > seen, and had to deal with countless instances where NAV 04 flat refuses

    > install, fails halfway through the installation for some unknown reason,

    or
    > installs, but then refuses to load at startup. Then theres the new thing
    > with NAV 2K4 wanting to phone home over the net about once each day. For
    > dialup users this results in multiple dialup prompts at windows startup
    > before NAV will even load up. Even setting DUN to never dial, doesn't seem
    > to stop the damn thing. Pretty annoying. NAV has become such a bloated,
    > invasive octopus of a program that it now seems to be hypersensitive to
    > every little thing that isn't 100% kosher in windows. I've had systems

    that
    > ran perfectly fine in all other aspects, but goddamn Norton 2K4 refuses to
    > work. Had a system tonight that had a crapload of spyware, and a couple
    > viruses on it. The customer tried to install Norton 2K4 but that just
    > screwed things up worse. Granted, it would be tough to install a complex
    > OS-integrated program like NAV under those circumstances, but even after
    > removing all the spyware, the viruses, etc. and the system seems to be
    > otherwise working fine now, Norton is now so hopelessly screwed up and

    will
    > not uninstall, even when the CD's setup program attempts to remove the

    prior
    > installation before reinstalling. So then I have to do the manual, tedious
    > task of removing the umpteen million freaking registry entries, and

    multiple
    > files and folders, and guess what? The damn NAV 2K4 installer STILL won't
    > install. Something is hosed under the hood in windows, and it looks like
    > it's going to take a complete windows reload to fix it just to get Norton

    > work. God I hate these. I virtually never had problems like this with the
    > NAV 2K1, 2K2, and 2K3 versions. They were pretty reliable on the whole,

    and
    > pretty trouble-free. 2K3 is becoming more like 2K4 though after Norton
    > pushes a few program updates to it via live-update. I've seen 2K3 installs
    > starting the phone-home crap a few times now as well, and I know they

    didn't
    > do that when it was first released.

    I tried NAV 2004 on a Win98SE computer. Slowed everything down terribly.
    Finally removed it and switch to AVG.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 12, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Sorry guy's, I meant I have Norton Utilities 2001. If NAV 2004 is a load of
    crap what other software do you recommend to fix problems with Windows XP.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 12, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    what kinds of problems do you anticipate needing to "fix"? I've managed to
    get on very well without these "do-it-all" Norton suites for 10 years now.
    Use the maintenence tools that come with windows to keep things running
    smooth, and use a decent antivirus program (like E-Trust, Avast, AVG, etc.)
    and you should be fine. You don't need a big bloated suite of fix-it
    utilities that insinuiates itself throughout your system like an octopus.

    Thor, May 13, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    mark mandel Guest

    > > > Does any one know where I can download a trial version of Norton 2004

    or
    > > > 2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows

    XP

    > > Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.

    > I've come to the conclusion that NAV 2004 is crap-ola as well. I've now
    > seen, and had to deal with countless instances where NAV 04 flat refuses

    > install, fails halfway through the installation for some unknown reason,

    or
    > installs, but then refuses to load at startup. Then theres the new thing
    > with NAV 2K4 wanting to phone home over the net about once each day. For
    > dialup users this results in multiple dialup prompts at windows startup
    > before NAV will even load up. Even setting DUN to never dial, doesn't seem
    > to stop the damn thing. Pretty annoying. NAV has become such a bloated,
    > invasive octopus of a program that it now seems to be hypersensitive to
    > every little thing that isn't 100% kosher in windows. I've had systems

    that
    > ran perfectly fine in all other aspects, but goddamn Norton 2K4 refuses to
    > work. Had a system tonight that had a crapload of spyware, and a couple
    > viruses on it. The customer tried to install Norton 2K4 but that just
    > screwed things up worse. Granted, it would be tough to install a complex
    > OS-integrated program like NAV under those circumstances, but even after
    > removing all the spyware, the viruses, etc. and the system seems to be
    > otherwise working fine now, Norton is now so hopelessly screwed up and

    will
    > not uninstall, even when the CD's setup program attempts to remove the

    prior
    > installation before reinstalling. So then I have to do the manual, tedious
    > task of removing the umpteen million freaking registry entries, and

    multiple
    > files and folders, and guess what? The damn NAV 2K4 installer STILL won't
    > install. Something is hosed under the hood in windows, and it looks like
    > it's going to take a complete windows reload to fix it just to get Norton

    > work. God I hate these. I virtually never had problems like this with the
    > NAV 2K1, 2K2, and 2K3 versions. They were pretty reliable on the whole,

    and
    > pretty trouble-free. 2K3 is becoming more like 2K4 though after Norton
    > pushes a few program updates to it via live-update. I've seen 2K3 installs
    > starting the phone-home crap a few times now as well, and I know they

    didn't
    > do that when it was first released.

    VERY true in my experience with NSW and Win98, not as bad as with XP. When
    you go about the uninstallation process, it's just about inevitable that
    you have to go through the laborious manual uninstallation because every
    procedure up till then just doesn't cut it.
    I am, however, keeping it one of my PC's cause I don't want to go through
    the same stupid hassle again.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, May 13, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I get a few problems with my computer. The latest one is my CD RW refuses
    to load any disc or copy them.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 13, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Wizard Guest

    .... and god help you if you change your network setup because it won't
    allow it but gives you no indication of why it won't work or that the
    culprit is Norton AV.

    Wizard, May 13, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    WebWalker Guest

    I think the CD came with a removal tool (in utility folder).
    Try to run the tool will remove whatsoever stuffs (or leftover) of the

    WebWalker

    PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

    WebWalker, May 13, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > > Does any one know where I can download a trial version of Norton 2004 or
    > > > 2003. I've got the 2002 version but it's not compatible with Windows XP

    > > Save your effort and money, Norton Utilities is trash.

    > I've come to the conclusion that NAV 2004 is crap-ola as well. I've now
    > seen, and had to deal with countless instances where NAV 04 flat refuses to
    > install, fails halfway through the installation for some unknown reason, or

    A blessing in disquise eh?

    Plato, May 13, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > Sorry guy's, I meant I have Norton Utilities 2001. If NAV 2004 is a load of
    > crap what other software do you recommend to fix problems with Windows XP.

    Norton will creat more problems than it can fix. Diss it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 13, 2004
  15. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    NAV 2K3 has a removal tool (rnav2003.exe, and rnis.exe for NAV 2K3, and
    Norton Internet Security 2K3 respectively). NAV 2K4 has no removal
    utilitites on the CD. There is only a regfile available from Norton's
    website that clears the registry entries only, and that was tried to no
    avail. Get this, even *after* a completely clean reinstall of windows 98 on
    this customer's machine, NAV 2K4 still couldn't manage to install without
    screwing itself up. After what looked like a successful installation,
    clicking on the Norton Antivirus program desktop icon, menu icon, or
    clicking the icon in the system tray resulted in a big fat ZERO effect. The
    damn program wouldn't even open. After uninstalling, reinstalling,
    uninstalling again, clearing the leftover registry entries, files, and
    folders once again, then looking on Norton's website (and suffering through
    their inane online troubleshooter that installs crap on your machine), I
    discovered this installation issue is evidently known to them, but
    unfortunately, their solution did no good. In the end, the only workaround
    was to manually change the icon's shortcut path to bypass the first-time run
    configuration wizard that evidently was screwed up somehow, and wouldn't
    launch. Norton's own docs on the issue, detail what path and command to
    enter to at least get the program interface working again. Clicking on the
    icon in the system tray still does nothing, however. No way to change that.
    But for christ's sake, this was a pristine, clean windows install, on a
    formatted drive, and the screwy program still doesn't work right. Worst NAV
    version EVER IMHO.

    Thor, May 13, 2004