    drive (90GB). I have a very fast machine (twin processor, 1GB Ram
    etc). Any suggestions for speeding it up--would upgarding to
    Systemworks 2006 be faster, or should I use a different virus scanner?

    gp, Mar 2, 2006

  2. gp

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, gp
    says...
    > My virus scan on Norton systemworks 2003 takes 10 hours to check my C
    > drive (90GB). I have a very fast machine (twin processor, 1GB Ram
    > etc). Any suggestions for speeding it up--would upgarding to
    > Systemworks 2006 be faster, or should I use a different virus scanner?

    Norton is an unreliable system hog.

    Get rid of it and use something decent.

    www.free-av.com does me, their free package consistently does better
    than Norton in tests and it scans 120GB worth of drives in 30 minutes or
    less. They have a version with a small subscription too for faster
    updating and extra features.

    Flying Rat, Mar 2, 2006

  3. gp wrote:

    > My virus scan on Norton systemworks 2003 takes 10 hours to check my C
    > drive (90GB). I have a very fast machine (twin processor, 1GB Ram
    > etc). Any suggestions for speeding it up--would upgarding to
    > Systemworks 2006 be faster, or should I use a different virus scanner?

    Norton Systemworks has proven to be unreliable and a notorious resource hog.
    You might want to consider getting rid of it and using a different
    antivirus application. There are many free AV apps to choose from,
    including

    ClamWin:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    AVG Free Edition
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    AntiVir
    http://www.free-av.com/

    and a host of others.

    If you'd rather stick with commercial packages, I recommend McAfee over
    Norton,

    McAfee
    http://www.mcafee.com

    and there are many others, including:

    Kasperky
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Panda
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/

    TrendMicro
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/overview.htm
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/tmss/evaluate/overview.htm

    There was a time when I would recommend Norton/Symantec over most others,
    but, recently, I've seen too many corrupt virus definition databases and
    other failures in their software, causing user's machines to take *forever*
    to boot up and a completely inordinate amount of time to run a scan - such
    as you are now experiencing.

    Until the company resolves these issues, I cannot recommend Norton's
    products to anyone.

    Malware Magnet, Mar 2, 2006
  4. gp

    *x@y* Guest

    "gp" <> wrote in message

    > My virus scan on Norton systemworks 2003 takes 10 hours to check my C
    > drive (90GB). I have a very fast machine (twin processor, 1GB Ram
    > etc). Any suggestions for speeding it up--would upgarding to
    > Systemworks 2006 be faster, or should I use a different virus scanner?

    Hello gp,

    I found a nice clean Website, (No popup)

    Try here: http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

    Good Luck x@y

    *x@y*, Mar 2, 2006
  5. gp

    donleo Guest

    yes do yourself and your computer a favour get rid of any nortons
    programs.......i personally use the avg free and it works perfect for me

    donleo, Mar 2, 2006