    my computer ? I am still running the old WIN98.
    Thanks,
    Iowa883
    Iowa883, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Iowa883

    HF Guest

    Wait for it!!

    HF, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Iowa883

    Thor Guest

    no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.

    Thor, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Iowa883

    The One Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.
    >
    > "Iowa883" <> wrote in message
    >> Is Systemworks the best all around protection and maintainence program
    >> for
    >> my computer ? I am still running the old WIN98.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Iowa883

    I Don't know what Thor thinks, but all I have on my system is Norton
    Antivirus, Internet Protection and Utilities, my computer is safe Norton
    filters out and blocks all viruses and Trojans superbly, while utilities
    keeps my PC in perfect working order. Im not sure what's involved with
    Systemworks, but im sure for any user Antivirus, Internet Protection, and
    Utilities works fine and at no deterioration of performance.
    The One, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Iowa883

    Guest

    The One wrote:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.
    > >
    > > "Iowa883" <> wrote in message
    > >> Is Systemworks the best all around protection and maintainence

    program
    > >> for
    > >> my computer ? I am still running the old WIN98.
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Iowa883
    > >>

    > I Don't know what Thor thinks, but all I have on my system is Norton
    > Antivirus, Internet Protection and Utilities, my computer is safe

    Norton
    > filters out and blocks all viruses and Trojans superbly, while

    utilities
    > keeps my PC in perfect working order. Im not sure what's involved

    with
    > Systemworks, but im sure for any user Antivirus, Internet Protection,

    and
    > Utilities works fine and at no deterioration of performance.

    if you want a package of programs, then norton may be best - probably
    much better rival mcafee. However, Norton is bloated - so is mcafee.
    If you want what is best, it's probably best to run an anti-virus like
    NOD32 (that is not bloated), and gets highly reviews, I even saw it
    higher than norton and mcafee. The anti-virus prog AVG is free, though
    may not be as good as norton or nod.

    For a firewall, ZoneAlarm is the one people use. Though i had some bad
    luck with a version of zone alarm that wouldn't uninstall and wouldn't
    not start up with windows. It was a well known problem at the time.
    Also, all firewalls are pain in the ass if they're not configured
    perfectly.

    I wouldn't recommend you follow my example on this one, but currently I
    run against the grain in prefering to have pimpled peasants practice
    their hacking skills on my computer, than to configure a firewall to my
    specifications (the zonealarm firewall even warns you when a program
    from your computer accesses your computer - unless you tell it not to -
    which means you have to tell it every time you install a new program).
    No hacker can be that much of a pain in the ass!! I do have a DLink
    modem/router with NAT 'enabled' so that does a good job in blocking
    people accessing my computer(s).

    Since fixing computesr is not much of a science the most important
    thing is that you can reinstall when everything goes shit. So have a
    good back up. Have Partition Magic so you can resize partitions. I'm
    told that paragon may be better than PMagic, but both are good.
    , Dec 18, 2004
  6. Iowa883

    The One Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The One wrote:
    >> "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> > no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.
    >> >
    >> > "Iowa883" <> wrote in message

    > program
    >> >>

    >> I Don't know what Thor thinks, but all I have on my system is Norton
    >> Antivirus, Internet Protection and Utilities, my computer is safe

    > Norton
    >> filters out and blocks all viruses and Trojans superbly, while

    > utilities
    >> keeps my PC in perfect working order. Im not sure what's involved

    > with
    >> Systemworks, but im sure for any user Antivirus, Internet Protection,

    > and
    >> Utilities works fine and at no deterioration of performance.

    > if you want a package of programs, then norton may be best - probably
    > much better rival mcafee. However, Norton is bloated - so is mcafee.
    > If you want what is best, it's probably best to run an anti-virus like
    > NOD32 (that is not bloated), and gets highly reviews, I even saw it
    > higher than norton and mcafee. The anti-virus prog AVG is free, though
    > may not be as good as norton or nod.
    >
    > For a firewall, ZoneAlarm is the one people use. Though i had some bad
    > luck with a version of zone alarm that wouldn't uninstall and wouldn't
    > not start up with windows. It was a well known problem at the time.
    > Also, all firewalls are pain in the ass if they're not configured
    > perfectly.
    >
    > I wouldn't recommend you follow my example on this one, but currently I
    > run against the grain in prefering to have pimpled peasants practice
    > their hacking skills on my computer, than to configure a firewall to my
    > specifications (the zonealarm firewall even warns you when a program
    > from your computer accesses your computer - unless you tell it not to -
    > which means you have to tell it every time you install a new program).
    > No hacker can be that much of a pain in the ass!! I do have a DLink
    > modem/router with NAT 'enabled' so that does a good job in blocking
    > people accessing my computer(s).
    >
    > Since fixing computesr is not much of a science the most important
    > thing is that you can reinstall when everything goes shit. So have a
    > good back up. Have Partition Magic so you can resize partitions. I'm
    > told that paragon may be better than PMagic, but both are good.

    I fnd Norton Internet securtiy does a pretty fine job in providing a solid
    firewall that is easily configurable, also has a good internet tracking in
    reporting abuse and hackers to their ISP.
    The One, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Iowa883

    Kenny Guest

    A good alternative is System Mechanic from Iolo. The registry cleaner in it
    is the only one I trust after having had bad exxperiences in the past with
    these. Also Webroot's Window Washer is good for clearing out the s**t which
    builds up.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Dec 18, 2004
  8. Iowa883

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yeah Norton is a good firewall, I use NIS 2005 but it does bog your system
    down. If I didn't have a fast comp I would use NOD32 for anti virus and
    Sygate for the firewall.

    To get back to the OP question. Norton System Works is a good package but
    judging from the OS your using, you haven't got a fast enough comp to handle
    it, it will slow down your system considerably.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Dec 18, 2004
  9. Iowa883

    Terry Joyce Guest

    Iowa883 wrote:
    > Is Systemworks the best all around protection and maintainence program for
    > my computer ? I am still running the old WIN98.
    > Thanks,
    > Iowa883

    I tell people who ask that although I like my screwdriver and consider
    it a valuable tool, I do not leap out of bed in the morning and grab it.
    I wait until I have a need and then get it. Systemworks is like having
    the entire Union Hall of contractors greet you every morning. Might be
    useful but takes up allot of resources, time effort and money.
    Terry Joyce
    Terry Joyce, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Iowa883

    Thor Guest

    "Terry Joyce" <> wrote in message
    > Iowa883 wrote:
    >> Is Systemworks the best all around protection and maintainence program
    >> for
    >> my computer ? I am still running the old WIN98.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Iowa883
    >>

    > I tell people who ask that although I like my screwdriver and consider it
    > a valuable tool, I do not leap out of bed in the morning and grab it. I
    > wait until I have a need and then get it. Systemworks is like having the
    > entire Union Hall of contractors greet you every morning. Might be useful
    > but takes up allot of resources, time effort and money.
    > Terry Joyce

    I LOVE that analogy! LOL!
    Thor, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Iowa883

    Wizard Guest

    Quite the contrary, it is the worst.

    Wizard, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Iowa883

    Kyote Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:41:59 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.

    Thor, is there a similar software package that you'd recommend over
    Norton System Works?

    -------------
    Scott D.
    Kyote, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Iowa883

    Thor Guest

    "Kyote" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:41:59 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    >>no. It's overbearing, bloated, and invasive IMHO.

    > Thor, is there a similar software package that you'd recommend over
    > Norton System Works?

    Avast or antivirus, AVG, or E-Trust EZ Antivirus. Besides a decent firewall,
    that's about all most people need in that category, and they run better.
    Thor, Jan 7, 2005