    up and running?
    TIA
    Silvestra
    =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVzdHJh?=, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Norton System Works 2005 is not compatible with x64.

    There are several, I belive ClamWin, Avast, Symantec and McAfee have all
    released 64 bit versions along with some others. Computer Associates also
    has a native x64 version of eTrust. There will be more along soon from
    Company's such as Trend Micro and PC Cillin.

    Here are some recommendations:
    Symantec
    http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=155

    Note: The x64 client that ships with AV Corp10 and it will not update it's
    signatures from the parent server, it has to use Live Update which I won't
    work through proxyservers.
    Avast

    The free one from Avast:

    Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
    software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
    Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

    NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
    Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
    release.
    http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005

  3. The Computer Associates x64 edition is eTrust AV 7.1. NOD32 is in beta but
    reliable. Avast! is a free alternative (in testing for x64 but reported on
    favorably here). Symantec will not have any x64 product for quite awhile.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Norton is a "known driver issue" -- their software requires a system level
    driver, and they haven't released a 64-bit version yet.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  5. You are getting e-mailed too?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVzdHJh?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Silvestra,

    It's too bad you bought Norton Systemworks 2005 before finding out that it
    wasn't compatible (yet). However, it's widely known in computing circles
    that Norton is the second worst (to some, the worst) anti-virus out there
    (McAfee being the worst).

    Microsoft uses Computer Associates' e-Trust (I think that's what it's
    called. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the name) for A/V. The CA
    (Computer Associates) e-Trust product comes in 32-bit AND 64-bit (make sure
    you get the 64 bit for your 64 bit PC).

    A lot of businesses also use Trend Micro. Trend Micro has a consumer
    product called PC-cillian. This is an excellent A/V. I speak from
    experience from using McAfee, Norton, and then to Trend Micro's PC-cillian.
    Unfortunately, Trend Micro hasn't released a 64 bit version yet. My
    understanding is that they are currently working on it.

    In the meantime, there are free A/V products available for you to use on
    your 64 bit system. I believe one of them is from Avast. That one seems to
    be working the best right now (from what I remember other NG participants
    mentioning.).

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net
    > You are getting e-mailed too?
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    >> Norton is a "known driver issue" -- their software requires a system
    >> level driver, and they haven't released a 64-bit version yet.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    >> ======================
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    >>

    >> Silvestra wrote:
    >>> I have just loaded Win XP Pro 64 bit edition. Apart from the known
    >>> driver issues, I am now coming up against software issues. The first
    >>> is in installing, or trying to install, Norton Systemworks 2005. It
    >>> just won't install, quoting a message that the version is not
    >>> compatible with a 64 bit operating system.
    >>> A search of the Norton site gives me no joy. I can imagine people
    >>> buying the Norton product expecting it to install on the 64 bit
    >>> edition!
    >>> Anyone know if there are any fixes or workarounds that can get my NSW
    >>> 2005 up and running?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Silvestra

    Torrey Lauer, Jul 11, 2005
  7. I love Symantecs corporation version of AntiVirus though, its awesome.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  8. Several a day. 99.95% of which I don't answer, except my autoanswer. I don't
    do one on one support -- that's consulting, and most people can't afford my
    consulting fees. ;)

    --

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > You are getting e-mailed too?
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > message news:%...
    >> Norton is a "known driver issue" -- their software requires a system
    >> level driver, and they haven't released a 64-bit version yet.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    >> ======================
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    >>

    >> Silvestra wrote:
    >>> I have just loaded Win XP Pro 64 bit edition. Apart from the known
    >>> driver issues, I am now coming up against software issues. The first
    >>> is in installing, or trying to install, Norton Systemworks 2005. It
    >>> just won't install, quoting a message that the version is not
    >>> compatible with a 64 bit operating system.
    >>> A search of the Norton site gives me no joy. I can imagine people
    >>> buying the Norton product expecting it to install on the 64 bit
    >>> edition!
    >>> Anyone know if there are any fixes or workarounds that can get my
    >>> NSW 2005 up and running?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Silvestra
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  9. eTrust AV 7.1.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Yeah, thats what Microsoft uses.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  11. Who do you consult for then, Hollywood? ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  12. I got it through HP in exchange for a big discount certificate. It costs
    about $50 plus shipping.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  13. This newsgroup, for free. All others? No thanks. I live in Paradise and
    anything that takes me away is a bad thing. So I mostly don't leave.
    Sometimes the book projects require me to go down to Redmond, and I do (as
    long as the sun is out so I can drive with the top down.) But I come back
    home as quickly as possible and I stay here. I set my fees high enough that
    people don't bother me. Or if they do, it's almost worth it. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005