    this business, please shed some light.

    Thanks.
    Dan.

    Dan Dawson, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Dan Dawson

    Geoff Guest

    Dan Dawson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have seen, Norton System Works 2003 PRO selling for $6.40 in the
    > ebay. Is it possible or am I getting something wrong. Because I saw
    > the price on a local computer store here in Canada and it was in the
    > hundreds. I am new to this business, please shed some light.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Dan.

    no, they are ilegal copies

    Geoff, Oct 24, 2003

  3. not always. EBAY is very good about catching software pirates. I think you
    can find legitimate software on ebay, all you have to do is watch what you
    are doing and who you are buying from----as fraud also does take place, so I
    would suggest buying from people with good feedback ratings.

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Dan Dawson

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:51:39 -0400, Dan Dawson wrote:

    > I have seen, Norton System Works 2003 PRO selling for $6.40 in the ebay.
    > Is it possible or am I getting something wrong. Because I saw the price
    > on a local computer store here in Canada and it was in the hundreds. I
    > am new to this business, please shed some light.

    Maybe so, and maybe not.

    I got Norton System Works Pro 2003 for free (after rebates) at Staples on
    the day after Thanksgiving sale last year.

    And here is an OEM copy of System Works Pro for $11.99 from a deep
    discounter that I have had bookmarked for a long time, but I have never
    actually bought anything from them.

    http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sys.html

    OEM means you should get the Disk only. No jewel case, no manual, no box.
    It won't qualify for any current rebates, and it will not qualify for
    future upgrade rebates.

    Also, I want to repeat I have never bought anything from this company so I
    have no idea how reliable they are.

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Dan Dawson

    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have seen, Norton System Works 2003 PRO selling for $6.40 in the ebay. Is
    >it possible or am I getting something wrong. Because I saw the price on a
    >local computer store here in Canada and it was in the hundreds. I am new to
    >this business, please shed some light.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Dan.

    You can buy it for $10 at this place called

    http://www.store.yahoo.com/glob2000/index.html

    I bought NAV for $9 from them.

    Gary

    , Oct 24, 2003
  6. Dan Dawson

    Dan Dawson Guest

    Thanks for the resposne Gary, but the shipping for Canada is about US$35 on
    that online store. I could see that if you were in US, then you get stuff
    for very good price.

    Dan.

    Dan Dawson, Oct 24, 2003
  7. The list price of Norton SysteWorks Pro is $99 (USD, about $150 CDN).

    The 2003 product is no longer current, as Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004 is
    out, and thus 2003 will be discounted.

    I have seen what I believe to be legitimate "OEM" copies sold for under
    $20. These are CD only, you get NOTHING else. That's probably what you
    are seeing, although $6.40 is low even for that.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Dan Dawson

    Dan Dawson Guest

    Thanks for the infor Glenn. Do you buy it on "ebay"? Does 'OED' means the
    same as 'OEM', i.e you only get the CD and nothing else?

    "Glenn (SBfan2000)" <> wrote in message
    > I have been buying systemworks for cutomers this year for $10 a pop

    (OED)and
    > they are legal, my customers have all registered their software! Or

    rather

    Dan Dawson, Oct 24, 2003
  9. Dan Dawson

    Dan Dawson Guest

    If I get the 'OEM' copy, the only thing I will be missing would be the
    Manual?? Am I right? Do you really need the manual to use this software?

    Dan Dawson, Oct 24, 2003
  10. Dan Dawson

    Geoff Guest

    Ronnie Broyles wrote:
    > not always. EBAY is very good about catching software pirates. I
    > think you can find legitimate software on ebay, all you have to do is
    > watch what you are doing and who you are buying from----as fraud also
    > does take place, so I would suggest buying from people with good

    ebay is basicly the second hand market, if you have the time you can find
    some bargins
    i got my solid state drive from yahoo auctions when it was running some
    years ago, best bargin i had off online auctions ;)

    Geoff, Oct 24, 2003
  11. No, the CD is all that you need for 2003, they didn't even use a
    "product key".

    All of the 2004 versions of the Symantec products are doing Product
    activation, and require a unique and valid product key. Symantec has
    not made clear how their product activation scheme works. I'm told that
    you get 5 installs, you can put it on 5 machines if you want, but after
    the 6th install you are done. I don't know, however, if that is correct
    or not.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 25, 2003
  12. Dan Dawson

    Dan Dawson Guest

    If that is the licensing scenario with 2004 versions, then it is not going
    to be very useful for Computer Technicians! I never used this product yet,
    but I thought, if I get a copy I could use it in my client's PC to
    troubleshoot. But it is not possbible to buy a new license for every 5 of my
    clients. Is "SystemWorks" something that is used by Technicians to
    troubleshoot customer's PCs or not? Isn't it one of the primary goal of this
    product?

    Dan Dawson, Oct 25, 2003
  13. You can use it for 15 or 30 days on a computer without activiating it at
    all. So as long as you are just USING it for a few days, you would be
    fine, but if you wanted to leave it on the system, then you would have
    to buy a licensed copy (which is as it should be).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 25, 2003
  14. Dan Dawson

    Ian A. Guest

    "Dan Dawson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have seen, Norton System Works 2003 PRO selling for $6.40 in the ebay.

    Is
    > it possible or am I getting something wrong. Because I saw the price on a
    > local computer store here in Canada and it was in the hundreds. I am new

    > this business, please shed some light.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Dan.

    Late reply to your post but In Calgary you can get it from these guys.

    http://www.memoryexpress.com

    Ian

    Ian A., Oct 30, 2003