    important or the answer less useful.
    Thanks
    Mel

    Imno1, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Imno1

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 03:25:00 GMT, "Imno1" <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of buying Norton System Works 2004. It promises to take care
    >everything that can possibly effect my computer. Does it? Does it do a
    >better job than others that promise the same-or would I be better off
    >buying/downloading/ separately the spam/popup/blocker/antivirus/repair
    >maintance stuff. Then there is installation. Norton says one user only. That
    >does mean I can't install it on another machine wirelessly networked to my
    >main machine? It would still be one user, but on two different machines.
    >This is probably an FAQ for this board-which doesn't make the question less
    >important or the answer less useful.
    >Thanks
    > Mel

    If you insist on Norton, get Norton System Works 2003. There's been too
    many complaints about 2004.

    Unk, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Imno1

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Imno1" <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of buying Norton System Works 2004. It promises to take care
    >everything that can possibly effect my computer. Does it? Does it do a
    >better job than others that promise the same-or would I be better off
    >buying/downloading/ separately the spam/popup/blocker/antivirus/repair
    >maintance stuff. Then there is installation. Norton says one user only. That
    >does mean I can't install it on another machine wirelessly networked to my
    >main machine? It would still be one user, but on two different machines.
    >This is probably an FAQ for this board-which doesn't make the question less
    >important or the answer less useful.
    >Thanks
    > Mel

    Single user means single machine. And Norton 2004 has an activation
    system similar to what Microsoft uses on their newer products.

    It is my personal opinion that NAV 2004 *is* a virus and I have never
    considered any of the other components of Norton System Works to be
    worth installing.

    Aditionally NAV2004 has proven to be totally incompatible with Windows
    Millennium Edition (WindowsMe).

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Imno1 wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying Norton System Works 2004. It promises to take care
    > everything that can possibly effect my computer. Does it? Does it do a
    > better job than others that promise the same-or would I be better off
    > buying/downloading/ separately the spam/popup/blocker/antivirus/repair
    > maintance stuff. Then there is installation. Norton says one user only. That
    > does mean I can't install it on another machine wirelessly networked to my
    > main machine? It would still be one user, but on two different machines.
    > This is probably an FAQ for this board-which doesn't make the question less
    > important or the answer less useful.
    > Thanks
    > Mel

    Not exactly a reply to your question, but just yesterday I was
    straightening out an HP machine that someone had royally abused with
    viruses and spyware over the last few months. It was really, really
    slow. And that was *after* running AVG, Trend Housecall, Adaware,
    Spybot, and turning off a lot of crap in msconfig. Processor is 1.8GHz,
    256 RAM. After finally getting rid of a shitload of malware and after a
    few restarts, seemingly from out of nowhere Norton Antivirus fired up
    and tried to do a scan.

    I knew I had the culprit. I uninstalled NAV, all the Sementech
    autoupdate crap, cleaned the registry, it finally ran like it oughtta.
    It was like quadrupling the CPU speed to get Norton off the machine.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Imno1

    MsyJsy Guest

    Norton sucks.
    Is a whole lot of bullish programs that most are already part of Windows,
    just a new interface.
    Most cannot be run on a schedule on their own.
    You think that you are buying ONE program to keep your computer in shape, in
    reality it is half a dozen programs that just happen to be on the same disk,
    they all need to be run separate.
    I have had nothing but problems with three or four different Norton
    purchases. I would advise you to stay as far away from Norton, and Symantec.
    --
    MsyJsy

    MsyJsy, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Imno1

    PC Guest

    > I'm thinking of buying Norton System Works 2004. It promises to take care
    > everything that can possibly effect my computer. Does it? Does it do a
    > better job than others that promise the same-or would I be better off
    > buying/downloading/ separately the spam/popup/blocker/antivirus/repair
    > maintance stuff. Then there is installation. Norton says one user only.

    That
    > does mean I can't install it on another machine wirelessly networked to my
    > main machine? It would still be one user, but on two different machines.
    > This is probably an FAQ for this board-which doesn't make the question

    less
    > important or the answer less useful.
    > Thanks
    > Mel

    Mel

    I don't think you will find NSW the 'panacea' you are looking for.
    Unfortunately there is no 'one button' fix when it comes to PC's.

    On http://www.symantec.com/product/index_homecomp.html you will see Symantec
    list NSW under 'Problem solving' They list Anti Virus and Internet Security
    as different categories of software. Though Norton AV is included according
    to the NSW page http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/pro/ Note the
    'Related Products 'Norton Internet Security' (& Pro)

    The best 'defense' is a blend of tools (spam/popup/blocker/antivirus) most
    of which are free if you dig around the 'net' Just as important as the tools
    though, is to actually use them, update them and understand how they work.

    Note I did not include Repair/Maintenance tools above. I don't recomend
    these for non tech users, I've seen to many 'wrecks' as the result of
    blindly following the 'recomendations' of such 'maintenance utilities'

    Norton Product Activation = One PC only, no more, just like Microsoft.

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Imno1

    ImNo1 Guest

    You guys have convinced me and probably a few others. My previous
    experience with Norton and Symantic wasn't very good, but I thought it was
    somehow me. What do you think of Pc-Cillin?

    ImNo1, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Imno1

    PC Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Imno1 wrote:
    > > I'm thinking of buying Norton System Works 2004. It promises to take

    care
    > > everything that can possibly effect my computer. Does it? Does it do a
    > > better job than others that promise the same-or would I be better off
    > > buying/downloading/ separately the spam/popup/blocker/antivirus/repair
    > > maintance stuff. Then there is installation. Norton says one user only.

    That
    > > does mean I can't install it on another machine wirelessly networked to

    my
    > > main machine? It would still be one user, but on two different machines.
    > > This is probably an FAQ for this board-which doesn't make the question

    less
    > > important or the answer less useful.
    > > Thanks
    > > Mel

    > Not exactly a reply to your question, but just yesterday I was
    > straightening out an HP machine that someone had royally abused with
    > viruses and spyware over the last few months. It was really, really
    > slow. And that was *after* running AVG, Trend Housecall, Adaware,
    > Spybot, and turning off a lot of crap in msconfig. Processor is 1.8GHz,
    > 256 RAM. After finally getting rid of a shitload of malware and after a
    > few restarts, seemingly from out of nowhere Norton Antivirus fired up
    > and tried to do a scan.
    >
    > I knew I had the culprit. I uninstalled NAV, all the Sementech
    > autoupdate crap, cleaned the registry, it finally ran like it oughtta.
    > It was like quadrupling the CPU speed to get Norton off the machine.

    Roger

    Pleased to see someone else finding the same as I am about "Norton".
    Pokes itself into all sorts of corners, constantly want's to 'phone home',
    runs like a dog, etc.
    And their 'salespersons' (must be PC) gotta be the greediest little pigs
    ever, selling NAV 04 to anyone even if their PC is obviously to underpowered
    for it, and NO refund!

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Imno1

    MsyJsy Guest

    I don't have any experience with Pc-cillin.
    Last year I started going with McAfee anti-virus and firewall. My net
    accelerator routes me through a proxy server, and XP has a built in
    firewall.
    Note what PC says below in the next post, all that fix it crap is bound to
    cause you trouble. You are relying on software that claims to fix software
    written by others, there is too much conflict to be had.
    Between the tools you already have in Windows, the Disk Cleanup, and Disk
    Defragmenter, coupled with Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Spyware detection (I
    would suggest Ad-Ware 6 Personal, is free) you are going to have all you
    need and all that most would care to tend to.
    --
    MsyJsy

    MsyJsy, Jul 11, 2004
  10. Imno1

    10_4 Guest

    After reading all the other post I can only add is AMEN. Norton has caused
    more problems that good!

    Roger

    10_4, Jul 11, 2004
  11. Imno1

    Buffalo Guest

    "ImNo1" <> wrote in message
    > You guys have convinced me and probably a few others. My previous
    > experience with Norton and Symantic wasn't very good, but I thought it was
    > somehow me. What do you think of Pc-Cillin?

    I use NSW2003 without problems or slowdowns.
    I have a feeling that many of those who complain about NSW have all of NSW
    monitoring programs running (Norton System Doctor, GoBack,Registry
    Tracker,etc, ) and not just its Antivirus program.
    Then they compare it to just running 'their' favorite antivirus alone. Of
    course, running just an antivirus program alone is faster, no arguments
    there.
    Here is an excerpt from an aricle from PC Magazine datet July 9,2004. I am
    just trying to give you more info, not endorsing it.

    "Don't even think of using a PC—Internet-connected or not—that isn't running
    updated antivirus software. Norton AntiVirus 2004 includes IM protection as
    well as spyware-defeating technology and earned an Editors' Choice when we
    looked at it. Although McAfee VirusScan 8.0 didn't, it did garner the same
    five-star rating and matches its competitor's features, even making some
    easier for novices. We also recommend ZoneAlarm with AntiVirus, but you
    won't find a separate review of it in this roundup because ZoneAlarm
    Security Suite 5 includes the same capabilities.

    Spyware and adware are moving from nuisance to threat and demand serious
    countermeasures. Two of the best are the free Spybot Search & Destroy 1.2
    and Spy Sweeper 2.2. Both rated four stars in our reviews, and although Spy
    Sweeper took our top honor, its challenger's ability to block spyware
    installation attempts in real time was among the best, and the price can't
    be beat."

    PS: I personally use NSW2003 Pro, and the following free versions of:.
    ZoneAlarm,AdAware, SpyBot, and SpywareBlaster. These I endorse.
    Also NSW contains Ghost, a great program for backing up your HDD.

    Buffalo, Jul 11, 2004
  12. Imno1

    Buffalo Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > It is my personal opinion that NAV 2004 *is* a virus and I have never
    > considered any of the other components of Norton System Works to be
    > worth installing.

    [snip]

    Ron, Ghost is one of the utiities packaged in NSW.
    You mean you don't like Ghost either?
    Buffalo
    PS: Did Norton screw up Ghost since they took it over?

    Buffalo, Jul 11, 2004
  13. Imno1

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >"Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    >[snip]
    >> It is my personal opinion that NAV 2004 *is* a virus and I have never
    >> considered any of the other components of Norton System Works to be
    >> worth installing.

    >[snip]
    >
    >Ron, Ghost is one of the utiities packaged in NSW.
    >You mean you don't like Ghost either?
    >Buffalo
    >PS: Did Norton screw up Ghost since they took it over?

    Not sure. I use Image for Windows and/or Image for DOS from
    www.bootitng.com

    Ron Martell, Jul 11, 2004