    software that we are overlooking ?

    He has Verizon DSL and WinXP Home.

    Also any recommendations for another AV software to install.
    John D, May 16, 2004

  2. John D

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    Get him to try to ping the live update
    server. That's a good place to start.
    "John D" <> wrote
    in message
    news:...
    |I know that Norton's software is
    bloated and a bunch of junk but my
    friend
    | likes it so any advice will be
    appreciated. I have searched all over
    | Norton's site with no solution..
    |
    | He has a Dell Inspiration laptop and
    it came with Norton AV 2002 installed
    | and worked for the full subscription
    time of 1 year. When it ran out and
    | after awhile he bought Norton
    SystemWorks 2004 and installed that. It
    worked
    | ok for a couple of months. Then it
    wouldn't connect to the update center.
    He
    | believes that he caught the Sasser
    worm and he went thru the steps to clean
    | it. Norton SystemWorks 2004 still
    wouldn't connect and download the files.
    | So he cleaned out 2004 and bought
    Norton SystemWorks 2003 and installed
    | that. It installed fine, but the same
    problem. Unable to connect to the
    | server and it points to an ISP
    problem. He gets on his internet browser
    and
    | gets his e-mail just fine. Is there a
    setting or something in the Norton

    Ryan 8088, May 16, 2004

  3. John D

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
  4. John D

    Buffalo Guest

    Go to the Symantec web site.
    You can also update manually using the Inellegent Updater feature on their
    site.

    Buffalo, May 17, 2004
  5. John D

    John D Guest

    Failed there also.

    I did find this info that someone posted for another persons problem and
    tried it and it cleaned several infected files and the live update is
    working just fine now.

    Thanks all for your help.

    John D, May 18, 2004
  6. John D

    John D Guest

    Sorry, here is the info.!

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 41 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/Sasser.worm.e) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus
    installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    John D, May 18, 2004
  7. John D

    Buffalo Guest