norton protection centre

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bruce A. Johnson, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. "Tomato" <> wrote on 2006-Jun-17 in

    > Does anyone know if installing norton antivirus and firewall as seperate
    > programs rather than bundled in NIS2006 would avoid getting norton
    > protection centre?

    My advice is to avoid Norton altogether. 8 out of 10 of my clients who
    had Norton software, had a problem with the Norton software. Usually it
    required uninstalling Norton, then reinstalling, . . . for little or no
    reason. Then the reinstallation of Norton would not work, unless I
    cleaned the hard drive and the Windows Registry of any trace of Norton
    first before reinstalling.

    - Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    - -- Mark Twain
    -
    - Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada
    -
    - http://BruceJohnson.ca/

    Bruce A. Johnson, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Bruce A. Johnson

    Tomato Guest

    Tomato, Jun 17, 2006

  3. Bruce A. Johnson

    Tom Crooze Guest

    "Bruce A. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > "Tomato" <> wrote on 2006-Jun-17 in
    >
    >> Does anyone know if installing norton antivirus and firewall as seperate
    >> programs rather than bundled in NIS2006 would avoid getting norton
    >> protection centre?
    >>

    > My advice is to avoid Norton altogether. 8 out of 10 of my clients who
    > had Norton software, had a problem with the Norton software. Usually it
    > required uninstalling Norton, then reinstalling, . . . for little or no
    > reason. Then the reinstallation of Norton would not work, unless I
    > cleaned the hard drive and the Windows Registry of any trace of Norton
    > first before reinstalling.
    >

    > - Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    > - -- Mark Twain
    > -
    > - Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada
    > -
    > - http://BruceJohnson.ca/

    Hi Bruce,
    I've used Norton for some time and really haven't had any GREAT problems ,
    but I'm wondering if it's time for a change ?
    What would you suggest as an alternative to NIS , covering all the same
    areas , - antivirus / firewall / spyware etc.
    Are the free versions of AVG / avast / Zonealarm etc good enough. What do
    you use...?
    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Crooze, Jun 17, 2006
  4. Bruce A. Johnson

    Tomato Guest

    /quote
    CNET editors' review
    Editors' rating
    Average
    5.5
    out of 10
    Reviewed by:
    Ken Feinstein
    Review date: 11/9/05
    Release date: 9/25/05
    Average user rating: 3.0
    See all user ratings

    The good: Norton AntiVirus 2006 offers improved detection and removal of
    spyware and adware.

    The bad: New Norton Protection Center introduces more clutter than useful
    features; Norton AntiVirus 2006 waits until spyware installs before catching
    and removing it.

    The bottom line: Norton AntiVirus 2006 improves its detection and removal of
    spyware and adware but lags behind the more proactive McAfee VirusScan 2006.

    /quote

    Thats the last straw. Time to switch brands. Next stop: checking the
    viability of using Linux rather than XP. Thankyou Mr DRM. o_O

    Tomato, Jun 18, 2006
  5. "Tom Crooze" <> wrote on 2006-Jun-17 in

    > Hi Bruce,
    > I've used Norton for some time and really haven't had any GREAT
    > problems , but I'm wondering if it's time for a change ?
    > What would you suggest as an alternative to NIS , covering all the
    > same areas , - antivirus / firewall / spyware etc.
    > Are the free versions of AVG / avast / Zonealarm etc good enough. What
    > do you use...?
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    For a fairly effective combination of free security software:

    Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free
    Anti-virus: AVG free
    Anti-spyware: Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware (both find things the
    other may not)

    Up until recently, I wholeheartedly recommended ZoneAlarm Internet
    Security Suite for an all-in-one package. Unfortunately, the major update
    to it last week causes many problems. I currently advise people to
    uninstall version 6.5, and reinstall the previous version (version
    6.1.744.001, which I have done). These problems apply also to the free
    version of ZoneAlarm also, which is just a firewall.

    AVG free is OK, but is in-your-face. It pops-up a big window at Windows
    start every morning to do a scan, and it adds advertisements for itself to
    all your e-mails.

    Both Spybot S&D and AdAware are very good, and are NOT in-your-face.

    Bruce A. Johnson, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Bruce A. Johnson

    SiG Guest

    Tomato wrote:
    > /quote
    > CNET editors' review
    > Editors' rating
    > Average
    > 5.5
    > out of 10
    > Reviewed by:
    > Ken Feinstein
    > Review date: 11/9/05
    > Release date: 9/25/05
    > Average user rating: 3.0
    > See all user ratings
    >

    > The good: Norton AntiVirus 2006 offers improved detection and removal of
    > spyware and adware.
    >
    > The bad: New Norton Protection Center introduces more clutter than useful
    > features; Norton AntiVirus 2006 waits until spyware installs before catching
    > and removing it.
    >
    > The bottom line: Norton AntiVirus 2006 improves its detection and removal of
    > spyware and adware but lags behind the more proactive McAfee VirusScan 2006.
    >
    > /quote
    >
    > Thats the last straw. Time to switch brands. Next stop: checking the
    > viability of using Linux rather than XP. Thankyou Mr DRM. o_O

    When you uninstall Norton make sure it doesn't leave any 'bits' behind
    otherwise it screws up the installation of Mcafee VirusScan 2006
    happened to me and couldn't solve it untill I did a complete reinstall
    of windows and started from scratch.

    Regards SiG

    SiG, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Bruce A. Johnson

    apostolakisl

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    What a pain in the a###. No built in uninstall feature. I guess they think a lot of themselves that you would never want to get rid of their stupid program.

    To get rid of it I had to do two things.
    1) download the uninstaller from symantic. I tried to post the link but because I am a new member it blocks me.

    2) run services.msc and find everything that has anything to do with symantic or norton and disable it.

    When I tried to run there uninstall program it would hang. Only after running services.msc and shutting all norton products down would the uninstaller unhang and remove the program.

    I am so torn, I hate most antivirus software but fear not having it. It is so intrusive and hogs system resources dramatically slowing boot time and function. Plus, it blocks network resources without warning and makes you go through a maze of stuff to figure out how to access such simple things as a network printer.

    apostolakisl, Jan 7, 2009