norton is keeping me from connecting to wireless networks in coffeeshops (starbucks)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by sara lee, May 30, 2008.

  1. sara lee

    sara lee Guest

    hi every1!

    i have just recently bought a vaio vgn-cr35m with a trial version of
    norton internet security...but the problem is when itry to connect to
    wireless networks in coffee shops..
    everytime i start internet explorer the login page comes out for a few
    seconds (the login name and password from the counter) and then the
    page is replaced saying symantec has bloacke this site for your safety
    bla bla..n then they tell u if u trust this site then click here..so
    it gets me back to the page but by the time i type the password n user
    id n hit enter..its blocked again!! how can i solve this? i have
    connected to other wireless connections before..should just uninstall
    norton?

    thanx in advance :)

    sara lee

    sara lee, May 30, 2008

  2. Re: norton is keeping me from connecting to wireless networks in coffee shops (starbucks)

    My personal opinion is that I want anti-virus/anti-spyware to be separate
    products from any type of "firewall" product. So I would replace Norton
    (Symantec) with a version of the product that is anti-virus/anti-spyware
    only, or at least it needs to give you the ability to turn that particular
    component off. However that may no longer be possible (and/or sometimes it
    may still get in the way when even turned off), which means you may have to
    look at some other brand of AV/ASw Product. There are even some free ones
    like "AVG Free", but you should shop around a little.

    As for the firewall protection you can just use the Windows Firewall that is
    already in Windows. I think it is a little less "maniacle" to deal with.

    That's my opinion of what I think of the poor quality and over-kill
    direction that many "security" products today are moving in. But that is
    just my opinion. I just don't buy into the whole Unified Threat Management
    (UTM) mentality that everyone is glomming into,...I want separate distinct
    products for different jobs so I can choose the best product for each job
    instead of a single product that does everything "half-baked".

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 30, 2008

  3. sara lee

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, May 30, 2008
  4. sara lee

    sara lee Guest

    On 30 ãÇíæ, 19:17, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    > and replace it with something else. I like Eset NOD32, but others
    > also are happy with the free versions of Avast and AVG.
    >
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 08:51:48 -0700 (PDT), sara lee
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >should just uninstall
    > >norton?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    yes u guys are right , theres no getting around it i even tried
    disbling it for a few mins but it still didnt work..guess il just
    uninstall it :) thanx :)

    sara lee, May 30, 2008
  5. sara lee

    sara lee Guest

    On 30 ãÇíæ, 19:10, "Phillip Windell" <> wrote:
    > My personal opinion is that I want anti-virus/anti-spyware to be separate
    > products from any type of "firewall" product.  So I would replace Norton
    > (Symantec) with a version of the product that is anti-virus/anti-spyware
    > only, or at least it needs to give you the ability to turn that particular
    > component off.  However that may no longer be possible (and/or sometimes it
    > may still get in the way when even turned off), which means you may have to
    > look at some other brand of AV/ASw Product.  There are even some free ones
    > like "AVG Free", but you should shop around a little.
    >
    > As for the firewall protection you can just use the Windows Firewall that is
    > already in Windows. I think it is a little less "maniacle" to deal with.
    >
    > That's my opinion of what I think of the poor quality and over-kill
    > direction that many "security" products today are moving in.  But that is
    > just my opinion.  I just don't buy into the whole Unified Threat Management
    > (UTM) mentality that everyone is glomming into,...I want separate distinct
    > products for different jobs so I can choose the best product for each job
    > instead of a single product that does everything "half-baked".
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    >
    > "sara lee" <> wrote in message

    > > hi every1!

    > > i have just recently bought a vaio vgn-cr35m with a trial version of
    > > norton internet security...but the problem is when itry to connect to
    > > wireless networks in coffee shops..
    > > everytime i start internet explorer the login page comes out for a few
    > > seconds (the login name and password from the counter) and then the
    > > page is replaced saying symantec has bloacke this site for your safety
    > > bla bla..n then they tell u if u trust this site then click here..so
    > > it gets me back to the page but by the time i type the password n user
    > > id n hit enter..its blocked again!! how can i solve this? i have
    > > connected to other wireless connections before..should just uninstall
    > > norton?

    > > thanx in advance :)

    > > sara lee- ÅÎÝÇÁ ÇáäÕ ÇáãÞÊÈÓ -

    > - ÚÑÖ ÇáäÕ ÇáãÞÊÈÓ -

    thnx! i think il settle for AVG or nod32 for my pc :).. no more
    annoyin norton

    sara lee, May 30, 2008
  6. sara lee

    John Guest

    Re: norton is keeping me from connecting to wireless networks in coffee shops (starbucks)

    Another free version choice: Avira Antivir

    John, May 30, 2008
  7. sara lee

    John Guest

    Re: norton is keeping me from connecting to wireless networks in coffee shops (starbucks)

    I guess I'm not alone in this. I hate antivirus/antispam products that try
    to do everything (firewall, email scan etc). Most of them end up doing
    almost nothing but annoy us.

    John, May 30, 2008