    background and this slows the computer down a lot. Is there any way to shut
    this down (If I am attempting to get something done it a true inconvience).

    (sometimes it appears in the windows task window and sometimes it doesn't).

    Ray Fisher, Jun 10, 2010

  2. Ray Fisher

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ray Fisher" <> wrote in
    news:HP9Qn.140460$:

    > Norton Internet Security now and again runs full systems
    > check in the background and this slows the computer down a
    > lot. Is there any way to shut this down (If I am
    > attempting to get something done it a true inconvience).
    >
    > (sometimes it appears in the windows task window and
    > sometimes it doesn't).

    Check settings/options, there /should/ be something to disable
    it. There may *not* be, since Symantec (and many others) believe
    it is essential for your system to have ALL security programs
    running ALL the time, even when the machine is off ;-] (It makes
    you buy a faster computer when all that shit slows you down.
    Everyone wants you to do that.)

    Otherwise, get a /real/ (ie NOT made by MS, NOT the one that
    comes with your Windows) task manager program which allows you
    to shut down processes. That's the 2nd best way.

    The best way is to get a /real/ (as above) start-up manager
    which will allow you to specifically allow or disallow certain
    services to run at start-up - I have ESET NOD32 and if it wasn't
    disabled in my start-up utility, I would have to shut it down
    with a task manager every time. That would be a PITA, especially
    since they're two services - Norton may have 5 (or more) for all
    I know. I just start ESET when I need it, usually after an
    online session, to scan whatever I may have DL'd.

    Running anything but a firewall when online is pointless and
    slows you down. This is assuming you have taken the usual
    precautions, such as not using IE/OE and not clicking on things
    you shouldn't, /thinking/ in general, etc. etc. Long subject.

    (BTW, Norton is crap. It was fantastic 15-20 years ago when it
    was still Norton, now it's Symantec and it's garbage.)

    For /real/ task and start-up utilities for your system, Google.
    Many are free.

    And running a FULL system check is something you need to do once
    a year, /maybe/, unless something really horrible and
    inexplicable happens.

    --
    Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
    as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

    thanatoid, Jun 10, 2010

  3. Ray Fisher

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Ray

    The Norton virus keeps on going. The best thing that you could do for yourself is to
    get rid of Norton and install something like Avira

    Norton Removal Tool
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Jun 10, 2010
  4. Ray Fisher

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:05:29 -0400, Ray Fisher wrote:

    > Norton Internet Security now and again runs full systems check in the
    > background and this slows the computer down a lot. Is there any way to
    > shut this down (If I am attempting to get something done it a true
    > inconvience).
    >
    > (sometimes it appears in the windows task window and sometimes it
    > doesn't).

    You'll need to format your hard drive to remove that Norton garbage.

    Better get started.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.

    Dan C, Jun 11, 2010
  5. Ray Fisher

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ray Fisher" <> wrote in message
    > Norton Internet Security now and again runs full systems check in the
    > background and this slows the computer down a lot. Is there any way to
    > shut this down (If I am attempting to get something done it a true
    > inconvience).
    >
    > (sometimes it appears in the windows task window and sometimes it
    > doesn't).

    Ray

    Norton has a reputation for being a real gas hog, particularly if your PC is
    slightly older or of modest specification.
    You don't mention the version you are running, but if it is 2005-2008 then
    it will be very heavy on your system.

    For best system response when your AV scans make sure you have plenty of RAM
    (1GB or more for XP, 2GB or more for Vista/7)
    Alternatively consider one of the other Anti Virus products, almost any of
    them will be faster/lighter.
    Microsoft have one available that is both free and light on your PC.
    http://www.microsoft.com/nz/digitallife/security.mspx

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 11, 2010