    Would appreciate some advise.
    Keith
    The not so "wiseowl"
    wiseowl, Nov 13, 2005

  2. wiseowl wrote:

    > Help Please.
    > My Norton Internet Security (Anti-spy edition) is suddenly, after a "Live
    > Update" slowing my computer down to a 'crawl' Takes around 5 minutes to
    > bring up applications now. Also will not let me connect to the internet.
    > All works okay if I turn off the fire-wall and intrusion detection. I am
    > aware that running a firewall can cause problems on some computers. How do
    > I overcome this without having to turn the firewall off every time. All
    > was working fine until a couple of days back after a "live update" from
    > Norton. Would appreciate some advise.

    Complain at symantec hotline, ask for a refund. If they can't offer a
    solution, trash the bloatware.
    Use XPs builtin firewall/antispyware in the meantime.
    Use something like trend housecall for a checkup.
    You may as well be already infected and that's what slows down your system.
    No antivirus/desktop firewall/spyware solution, especially symantec with
    only weekly updates, is a warranty when you visit dangerous sites or
    install untrustworthy software(z).
    Walter Mautner, Nov 13, 2005

  3. wiseowl

    PC Guest

    "wiseowl" <> wrote in message
    > Help Please.
    > My Norton Internet Security (Anti-spy edition) is suddenly, after a "Live
    > Update" slowing my computer down to a 'crawl' Takes around 5 minutes to
    > bring up applications now. Also will not let me connect to the internet.
    > All works okay if I turn off the fire-wall and intrusion detection. I am
    > aware that running a firewall can cause problems on some computers. How do
    > I overcome this without having to turn the firewall off every time. All
    > was working fine until a couple of days back after a "live update" from
    > Norton.
    > Would appreciate some advise.
    > Keith
    > The not so "wiseowl"

    Remove Norton.
    Use another AV & Firewall.

    Paul.
    PC, Nov 13, 2005
  4. wiseowl

    bluejudy Guest

    My computer tech, and many others others in my area, are switching to
    Avast. The home version is free for a period of time. My computer
    tech says that it is far superior to Norton, and it allows you to scan
    without booting through to Windows.

    Regards,
    Judy
    bluejudy, Nov 13, 2005
  5. wiseowl

    ~ray Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:58:07 +1300, "wiseowl" <>
    wrote:

    >Help Please.
    >My Norton Internet Security (Anti-spy edition) is suddenly, after a "Live
    >Update" slowing my computer down to a 'crawl' Takes around 5 minutes to
    >bring up applications now. Also will not let me connect to the internet. All
    >works okay if I turn off the fire-wall and intrusion detection. I am aware
    >that running a firewall can cause problems on some computers. How do I
    >overcome this without having to turn the firewall off every time. All was
    >working fine until a couple of days back after a "live update" from Norton.
    >Would appreciate some advise.
    >Keith
    >The not so "wiseowl"

    change av software. you definately should not assume the software is
    reliable or efficient. do an online scan (e.g trend...) after a norton
    disc scan and you will see what norton has missed.... I ditched
    norton today (see my post below) , installed kaspersky av which
    picked up 3 trojans and 5 other suspect/infected files

    ~ray
    ~ray, Nov 13, 2005
  6. wiseowl

    Plato Guest

    wiseowl wrote:

    > My Norton Internet Security (Anti-spy edition) is suddenly, after a "Live
    > Update" slowing my computer down to a 'crawl' Takes around 5 minutes to

    Uninstall it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 14, 2005