    out how much it IS using at any given time?

    Thanks.

    DSH
    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 19, 2006

  2. D. Spencer Hines

    Notan Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

    > How does one get it to consume fewer System Resources and how does one find
    > out how much it IS using at any given time?

    All kidding aside, to consume fewer System Resources, get a different program.

    Notan
    Notan, Feb 19, 2006

  3. D. Spencer Hines

    traveler 66 Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in message
    > How does one get it to consume fewer System Resources and how does one

    find
    > out how much it IS using at any given time?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > DSH

    Try it in non-aggressive, or average mode (I think that's what it's called)
    without the go back feature un-installed
    traveler 66, Feb 19, 2006
  4. D. Spencer Hines

    traveler 66 Guest

    "traveler 66" <> wrote in message

    > "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in message
    > > How does one get it to consume fewer System Resources and how does one

    > find
    > > out how much it IS using at any given time?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > DSH

    > Try it in non-aggressive, or average mode (I think that's what it's

    called)
    > without the go back feature un-installed

    oops, I meant without the go-back feature
    traveler 66, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Nope.

    There are other options.

    Use the rapier -- not the broadsword.

    How much in System Resources does NIS consume?

    I don't seem to be hurting.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Re: Norton Internet Security [NIS]

    I don't see any Norton GoBack feature in NIS.

    So, I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 20, 2006
  7. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <CR7Kf.57$>,
    says...
    > Nope.
    >
    > There are other options.
    >
    > Use the rapier -- not the broadsword.
    >
    > How much in System Resources does NIS consume?
    >
    > I don't seem to be hurting.

    I don't really mind if a program uses a fair amount of ram, especially
    if it's doing a good job. However, the one thing I do mind is slowdowns
    in performance of any kind. That I can't tolerate very well. So that
    would be where I draw the line.

    --
    Kerodo
    Kerodo, Feb 20, 2006
  8. D. Spencer Hines

    traveler 66 Guest

    >I don't see any Norton GoBack feature in NIS.
    >
    > So, I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

    Yep, I missed that, it's in system works for sure, wasn't sure about NIS

    traveler 66, Feb 20, 2006
  9. I agree with you.

    But we still have not determined how much this alleged "too much" in System
    Resources NIS supposedly consumes actually amounts to.

    That's the first step.

    I'm not experiencing any significant slow-downs.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 20, 2006
  10. D. Spencer Hines

    Notan Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

    > I agree with you.
    >
    > But we still have not determined how much this alleged "too much" in System
    > Resources NIS supposedly consumes actually amounts to.
    >
    > That's the first step.
    >
    > I'm not experiencing any significant slow-downs.
    >
    > <snip>

    I don't think it has to come down to a quantitative number...

    If *you* are seeing slowdowns, it's a problem.

    If not, then it's not.

    Notan
    Notan, Feb 20, 2006
  11. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <TG8Kf.59$>,
    says...
    > I agree with you.
    >
    > But we still have not determined how much this alleged "too much" in System
    > Resources NIS supposedly consumes actually amounts to.
    >
    > That's the first step.
    >
    > I'm not experiencing any significant slow-downs.

    Easy enough to see what NIS is using ram-wise. Just open up Task
    Manager and count up what's used by all the tasks. There are probably
    quite a few of them, and I can't name them since it's been a while since
    I ran any Symantec products, but you should be able to pick them out,
    especially with a little Googling for names etc.

    To be fair, I believe that most, if not all, of the 'suites' use a
    pretty hefty amount of ram. The ZA Suite ate upwards of 75+mb here.
    The BitDefender Internet Security 'suite' used a good amount also.
    Typically there is the firewall, the AV, and then the anti-spyware and
    anti-spam modules. All together it adds up.

    Depends really on what you need. Some people want, need and use all
    those features. Others don't. I personally don't have much use for
    spyware related features and spam features. I'm also not big on
    firewalls much anymore either since I got the router. So a 'suite' for
    me is overkill.

    --
    Kerodo
    Kerodo, Feb 20, 2006
  12. D. Spencer Hines

    Noway Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in

    > How does one get it to consume fewer System Resources and how does one
    > find out how much it IS using at any given time?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > DSH

    For XP, you could right click the bottom taskbar and from the
    menu that pops up, select Task Manager. Then, in the Task
    Manager's "Processes" tab, check the column "Mem Usage". If you
    can identify all the Norton processes you can add them up. So if
    a process uses 3,900 K, it's almost 4 MB for that process. You
    can search Google for the process name on the internet and find
    out if it is a Symantec process or not. I use Norton Personal
    Firewall 2005 and it's processes total about 32 MB. Having an
    antivirus integrated, yours will be more. If you are running
    XP, I would recommend having minimum 512 MB RAM on your computer.
    The Task Manager also has a CPU column, but that will likely be
    near zero percent most of the time unless you're doing something.
    Noway, Feb 20, 2006
  13. D. Spencer Hines

    donnie Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:04:30 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
    <> wrote:

    >How does one get it to consume fewer System Resources and how does one find
    >out how much it IS using at any given time?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >DSH

    The real question is, why would you have norton on your PC in the
    first place?
    donnie, Feb 22, 2006