  1. Hi and thanks for any advice proferred. Have installed norton IS 2004.
    Cannot access the web unless I disable same. What is point of having it?
    Any ideas?

    harold potter, Jun 9, 2004

  2. harold potter

    one_red_eye Guest

    "harold potter" <> wrote in message
    news:WKDxc.168$...
    > Hi and thanks for any advice proferred. Have installed norton IS 2004.
    > Cannot access the web unless I disable same. What is point of having it?
    > Any ideas?

    Check settings, you should be able to allow certain internet activity.

    --
    Despite the high cost of living,
    it remains popular.

    one_red_eye, Jun 9, 2004

  3. harold potter

    Avenger© Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:52:19 +0100, "harold potter"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi and thanks for any advice proferred. Have installed norton IS 2004.
    >Cannot access the web unless I disable same. What is point of having it?
    >Any ideas?

    My idea would be to disable it and go to the FAQ/Help page at the
    software maker's website. You obviously have a setting wrong!!
    --
    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, Jun 9, 2004
  4. harold potter

    Jack Emm Guest

    There were so many problems with my computer that I completely erased
    it and reloaded software that was on CD. I bought and installed NIS
    2004. It seems to be working. I get no popup ads and there is
    anti-span checking for email.

    Here is my minor problem. After I start my computer and it reboots,
    NIS is not enabled. I have two icons for NIS. One is on the desktop,
    the other is in the system tray. When I start the computer there is
    red X on the icon in the system tray. A right clink on this icon says
    Disabled. I click on the desktop icon and then I right click on the
    system tray icon. This time it brings up a list of items including
    Enable which I click.

    To find out how to have NIS enabled on startup, I contacted Symantec
    via email. The tech support answer was to uninstall NIS and reinstall
    it. At the moment I don't feel like doing that, since my approach
    seems pretty simple. Is there another way to have NIS enabled on
    startup?

    Thanks.

    Jack

    Jack Emm, Jul 5, 2004
  5. harold potter

    Jack Emm Guest

    Avenger© <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:52:19 +0100, "harold potter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi and thanks for any advice proferred. Have installed norton IS 2004.
    > >Cannot access the web unless I disable same. What is point of having it?
    > >Any ideas?
    > >

    > My idea would be to disable it and go to the FAQ/Help page at the
    > software maker's website. You obviously have a setting wrong!!

    Norton Internet Security has several features. One of them is
    parental control. But both the manual that came with the product and
    the instructions during installation are not clear. It seems to me
    that when you are using your computer with NIS, the NIS believes you
    are a user who has not been authorized by the supervisor to access the
    web. You should become the Supervisor who has access to the WEB.

    Jack

    Jack Emm, Jul 5, 2004