    Drvnguy Guest

    I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet security
    2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
    Drvnguy, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Drvnguy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Drvnguy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet security
    > 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

    The wise move would be to use IPsec that's on the O/S to supplement the PFW
    solution that can be taken down by malware.

    The AnalogX Secpol file is easy to implement and provides instant protection
    and is hard to take down.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    The wise move would be to go to the XP Pro O/S and *harden* the O/S to
    attack a little bit.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Drvnguy

    Ionizer Guest

    "Drvnguy" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet

    security
    > 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

    Why are you thinking of switching? Is Norton causing problems of some
    sort? If not, why not just stick with what you've already got?

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Drvnguy

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
    <>
    Drvnguy scrawled:

    >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
    >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Drvnguy

    Buffalo Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
    >

    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Drvnguy scrawled:
    >
    > >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
    > >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Mike, PC Magazine has just rated Nortons Personal Firewall as their Editors
    Choice.(9Jul04)
    Are you just prejudiced by everything that has the Norton name (Hopefully
    that doesn't include 'Norton' from the Jackie Gleason 'HoneyMooners' show)?
    :)
    Buffalo, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Drvnguy

    Drvnguy Guest

    I have had norton for sometime now ,and i find that it gives me a headache
    ,and uses lots of system procceses in windows task manager ,also since
    dumping it my download speeds are better

    Drvnguy, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Drvnguy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:44:15 GMT, in
    <3UfIc.59094$IQ4.53234@attbi_s02>
    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Drvnguy scrawled:
    >>
    >> >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
    >> >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
    >> >

    >Mike, PC Magazine has just rated Nortons Personal Firewall as their Editors
    >Choice.(9Jul04)

    PC Magazine sucks mouldy socks ... their editors' socks.

    >Are you just prejudiced by everything that has the Norton name

    Nowadays, yes, but there was a time when the name Norton
    was synonymous with quality; not any longer.

    >(Hopefully that doesn't include 'Norton' from the Jackie Gleason
    > 'HoneyMooners' show)?
    >:)

    Never heard of it, sorry.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Drvnguy

    °Mike° Guest

    As I said, nothing but trouble.

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:51:18 -0400, in
    <>
    Drvnguy scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Drvnguy

    Buffalo Guest

    "Drvnguy" <> wrote in message
    > I have had norton for sometime now ,and i find that it gives me a headache
    > ,and uses lots of system procceses in windows task manager ,also since
    > dumping it my download speeds are better

    Were you just using Norton Antivirus of some of their monitoring programs
    also?
    I use NSW , but the only active (full time running) part of it I use is the
    AntiVirus program.
    I notice no slowdowns.
    Win98SE
    384MB SDram