    I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed and my Operating System is Windows XP. I have not installed Microsoft Service Pack 2 yet. While reading about features included in SP2 it seems to me that NIS-2005 includes similar features and more. Why would I need to install SP2?

    Am I missing something important here? Thanks for any feedback. Happy New Year

    Clark
    Clark Martin, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Clark Martin

    Guest

    If you have a good hardware firewall, as such from your modem, and you
    are running a good virus scanner (required anyways), you do not have to
    worry about SP2. SP2 does offer some enhancements for XP, but they are
    not very important. Most of SP2 is for security issues.

    It is important however, to keep up with the security updates for IE
    and OE. This also applies to any of the multi media programs that
    require security enhancements.

    Jerry G.
    ======
    , Jan 2, 2005

  3. Clark Martin

    Clark Martin Guest

    Thanks for your advice.

    Clark

    Clark Martin, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Clark Martin

    winged Guest

    Clark Martin wrote:
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If you have a good hardware firewall, as such from your modem, and you
    >>are running a good virus scanner (required anyways), you do not have to
    >>worry about SP2. SP2 does offer some enhancements for XP, but they are
    >>not very important. Most of SP2 is for security issues.
    >>
    >>It is important however, to keep up with the security updates for IE
    >>and OE. This also applies to any of the multi media programs that
    >>require security enhancements.
    >>

    >>Jerry G.
    >>======

    Well there are a couple of security fixes in sp2. One that comes to
    mind is the graphic decompression fix. Norton will identify some of the
    graphic file compromises however not all. I recommend SP2. CERT
    recommends dumping IE and use anything else. Don't try to uninstall IE
    just set the other browser of choice as default browser. I use Mozilla
    Firefox,there are others, but it works very well for me, and I don't
    have near the issue(no issue)with spyware and web stuff touching my
    registry.

    I do understand there are requirements for IE at times, but for general
    use I recommend anything that is not so cozy with the OS.

    I recommend dumping OE and using any client that breaks the capability
    of running activeX. Mozilla Thunderbird is again my choice here as it
    can be set to disallow any script execution in e-mail.
    Winged

    Your mileage may vary, things are closer than they appear.
    winged, Jan 11, 2005