    there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
    Norton support.

    Thanks
    Sue, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Sue wrote:

    > I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now
    > takes 4 to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this
    > normal?

    For Norton? Probably so, it's a well-touted resource hog. (Same for
    McAfee)

    Check to see if you didn't turn on, or it was the default, a scan of
    your whole drive upon bootup. Turn off Inbound and Outbound email
    scanning, too; it's not necessary.

    > Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not,
    > is it possible to go back to the 2005 version? I've tried
    > unsuccessfully to find any on-line Norton support.

    Get free stuff and dump Norton.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Sue

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Sue" <> wrote:

    >I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
    >to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
    >there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
    >Norton support.

    Typical result for a computer that has been infested by a
    Norton/Symantec product.

    There are alternatives that are fully comparable in reliability but
    put far less of a drag on your computer.

    Here is what I use:

    Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
    wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.

    Antivirus: AVG Free edition

    Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).

    Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
    Micro Housecall.

    The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
    outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
    has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean. I also keep an
    eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
    if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working
    online.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Sue

    EricP Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:48:37 GMT, "Sue" <> wrote:

    >I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
    >to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
    >there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
    >Norton support.
    >
    >Thanks

    Norton used to be a nice thing, now it's a piece of oversized crap.
    EricP, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Sue

    Sue Guest

    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
    something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
    that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
    that?

    I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
    would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
    subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
    assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
    so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.

    Thanks again.
    Sue, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Sue

    Plato Guest

    Sue wrote:

    > I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
    > to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is

    Yes, perfectly normal for Nortons products.

    > there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to

    Remove NIS ASAP

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Sue

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:53:43 GMT, "Sue" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
    >something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
    >that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
    >that?

    Sure. Just be careful what links you click on in e-mails - especially
    messages from "Citibank Security", "PayPal Protection", etc..

    >I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
    >would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
    >subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
    >assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
    >so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.

    As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.
    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Evan Platt wrote:

    > As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.

    ...and nearly impossible to totally get rid of, once one decides to do
    that. Sorta like AOL software.

    The regular Add/Remove Programs doesn't do it. Symantec has some special
    executable files on their web site that are *supposed* to finish the
    job.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  9. Sue

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:21:15 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    wrote:
    >Here is what I use:
    >
    >Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
    >wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.

    I'm surprised that a person of your PC expertise is not using a router
    with SPI

    >Antivirus: AVG Free edition
    >
    >Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).
    >
    >Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
    >Micro Housecall.

    SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

    >The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
    >outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
    >has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean.

    Or perhaps ZoneAlarm

    > I also keep an eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
    >if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working online.

    Seems a hard task though maybe you have the discipline to do this and
    also to disconnect from the Net when you leave your PC.

    >Good luck
    >
    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    cheers
    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

    Spybot S&D is for spyware, and Ad-Aware is for .. well .. adware. Two
    different types of malware.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Sue

    Robert Guest

    Norton sucks. It uses a lot of system resources. I sugguest that you use

    1. AVG Free anti-virus
    2. Zone Alarm - Free firewall
    3. Ad-aware Se Personal - Free

    Rob

    Robert, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Sue

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:48:37 +0000, Sue Has Frothed:

    > I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes
    > 4 to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
    > there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
    > Norton support.
    >
    > Thanks

    Uninstall the Norton BS and get Ewido and Antivira, both free.

    http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.free-av.com/

    Chalk up the waste of money on Norton to inexperience.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 21, 2006
  13. Sue

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:18:35 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >
    >> SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

    >Spybot S&D is for spyware, and Ad-Aware is for .. well .. adware. Two
    >different types of malware.

    The spyware/ad-ware distinction is blurred. "Spyware" tends to be
    applied to anything which is not covered by traditional antivirus
    software i.e. viruses, trojans, worms.

    Spybot and Ad-Aware overlap in what threats they deal with (their
    names notwithstanding), but SpyBot is notably more effective.

    If your're relying on freebies like these, use both + one other like
    Windows Defender if you can (XPsp2 reqd). SpyWareBlaster is another of
    a small group of effective freebie "anti-spyware" progs which is worth
    having on one's PC.

    There are many so-call AS progs which are ineffective or a nuisance
    (too many false positive) or positively bad (extortion scams).

    See http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Sep 22, 2006
  14. Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:18:35 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>> SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

    >> Spybot S&D is for spyware, and Ad-Aware is for .. well .. adware.
    >> Two different types of malware.

    > The spyware/ad-ware distinction is blurred. "Spyware" tends to be
    > applied to anything which is not covered by traditional antivirus
    > software i.e. viruses, trojans, worms.
    >
    > Spybot and Ad-Aware overlap in what threats they deal with (their
    > names notwithstanding), but SpyBot is notably more effective.
    >
    > If your're relying on freebies like these, use both + one other like
    > Windows Defender if you can (XPsp2 reqd). SpyWareBlaster is another
    > of a small group of effective freebie "anti-spyware" progs which is
    > worth having on one's PC.
    >
    > There are many so-call AS progs which are ineffective or a nuisance
    > (too many false positive) or positively bad (extortion scams).
    >
    > See http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

    Did you mean to post this as a reply to the OP? (None of it is new news
    to me...)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  15. Sue

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:26:09 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Did you mean to post this as a reply to the OP? (None of it is new news
    >to me...)

    In that case I find it odd you should make this assertion:

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 23, 2006