Norton Internet Security 2004 Took Down My Home Network!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JD, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    I have three computers running Windows XP established on a home
    network. I had Norton Internet Security 2003 running on all three
    computers and the network was working great. One computer's
    subscription expired, so rather than downloading the upgrade from
    Symantec, I purchased and installed Norton Internet Security 2004 on
    this computer. The installation was trouble-free. However, after
    installing NIS 2004, my home network no longer works! None of the
    computers on the network can see each other. I set up NIS 2004
    according to the instructions in the manual as far as establishing a
    firewall. I have tried disabling this and that does not seem to make
    any difference -- I still have no network! I have tried
    unsuccessfully to get help from Symantec regarding this issue. I am
    at a loss as to what to do next and could use any help I can get!

    I did rerun the Windows XP Network Wizard, but this hasn't solved the
    problem either.

    Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? I
    am not very knowledgeable when it comes to networks, so thanks in
    advance for your help -- I am desperate to get the network going
    again.

    JD
    JD, Feb 23, 2004

  2. JD

    ñKs Guest

    Being offline is as secure as you can get...

    ñKs, Feb 23, 2004

  3. JD

    j.j Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:23:57 -0800, JD wrote:

    > I have three computers running Windows XP established on a home
    > network. I had Norton Internet Security 2003 running on all three
    > computers and the network was working great. One computer's
    > subscription expired, so rather than downloading the upgrade from
    > Symantec, I purchased and installed Norton Internet Security 2004 on
    > this computer. The installation was trouble-free. However, after
    > installing NIS 2004, my home network no longer works! None of the
    > computers on the network can see each other. I set up NIS 2004
    > according to the instructions in the manual as far as establishing a
    > firewall. I have tried disabling this and that does not seem to make
    > any difference -- I still have no network! I have tried
    > unsuccessfully to get help from Symantec regarding this issue. I am
    > at a loss as to what to do next and could use any help I can get!
    >
    > I did rerun the Windows XP Network Wizard, but this hasn't solved the
    > problem either.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? I
    > am not very knowledgeable when it comes to networks, so thanks in
    > advance for your help -- I am desperate to get the network going
    > again.
    >
    > JD

    Just did a friends network:
    Start Norton I.S.
    higlight Personal Firewall
    Click Configure
    Find the home network wizard in there - it will allow through the
    communications on your LAN which it has blocked.
    I'd recommend switching to Agnitum Outpost next time. Norton nags too much
    and blocks too much stuff it shouldn't.
    j.j, Feb 24, 2004
  4. @}-}-------Rosee, Feb 24, 2004