    *any* newsgroup. it gave an error saying norton internet security 2004 no
    resource available or something like that in the error windows from any
    newsreader i try.

    Diehard, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    NIS is crap IMHO. The source of many problems. You would do well to avoid
    it. Stick with Norton Antivirus if you use anything, as it is ok. But the
    NIS suite sucks.

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error reporting
    > tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at first it ran

    ok,
    > i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then it started causing OE to
    > crash each time i opened OE. the error reporting tool opened and said anti
    > spam was the problem. NIS 2004 had been updated fully. i un installed the
    > trial and no more crashes.
    >
    > also does anyone know why you can't access newsgroups at all with parental
    > control turned on? it says in NIS 2004 you can, so long as it's not in

    their
    > blocked list. like porn, alt.2600, warez and so on. well

    newsreader.general

    Thor, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > NIS is crap IMHO. The source of many problems. You would do well to avoid
    > it. Stick with Norton Antivirus if you use anything, as it is ok. But the
    > NIS suite sucks.
    >

    > ..
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error

    reporting
    > > tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at first it ran

    > ok,
    > > i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then it started causing OE

    > > crash each time i opened OE. the error reporting tool opened and said

    anti
    > > spam was the problem. NIS 2004 had been updated fully. i un installed

    the
    > > trial and no more crashes.
    > >
    > > also does anyone know why you can't access newsgroups at all with

    parental
    > > control turned on? it says in NIS 2004 you can, so long as it's not in

    > their
    > > blocked list. like porn, alt.2600, warez and so on. well

    > newsreader.general
    > > or earthlink support groups are not blocked, however i couldn't connect

    > > *any* newsgroup. it gave an error saying norton internet security 2004

    no
    > > resource available or something like that in the error windows from any
    > > newsreader i try.

    Thor, I need more constructive input then it sucks. you were not helpfull
    one bit as you might think it sucks, but i may love it or others might love
    it.

    Diehard, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > NIS is crap IMHO. The source of many problems. You would do well to

    avoid
    > > it. Stick with Norton Antivirus if you use anything, as it is ok. But

    the
    > > NIS suite sucks.
    > >

    > > ..
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > > anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error

    > reporting
    > > > tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at first it

    ran
    > > ok,
    > > > i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then it started causing

    OE
    > > > crash each time i opened OE. the error reporting tool opened and said

    > anti
    > > > spam was the problem. NIS 2004 had been updated fully. i un installed

    > the
    > > > trial and no more crashes.
    > > >
    > > > also does anyone know why you can't access newsgroups at all with

    > parental
    > > > control turned on? it says in NIS 2004 you can, so long as it's not in

    > > their
    > > > blocked list. like porn, alt.2600, warez and so on. well

    > > newsreader.general
    > > > or earthlink support groups are not blocked, however i couldn't

    connect
    > > > *any* newsgroup. it gave an error saying norton internet security 2004

    > no
    > > > resource available or something like that in the error windows from

    any
    > > > newsreader i try.
    > > >

    > Thor, I need more constructive input then it sucks. you were not helpfull
    > one bit as you might think it sucks, but i may love it or others might

    love
    > it.

    I'm sorry, but that is constructive advice IMHO. I've enough experience with
    the problems that NIS causes in customer machines that I believe NIS
    problems are best solved by removing NIS, IMHO. You want a solution more to
    your liking? Try uninstalling it, then reinstalling it. But in the end, it's
    still a crap software suite just like systemWorks. Too invasive, too much
    crap running in the background, and it slows the system down. I've found NIS
    to be the source of screwing up the networking components in windows so
    often that I would never *ever* recommend that suite to ANYONE. So take or
    leave my advice, however radical it may seem to you.

    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > > NIS is crap IMHO. The source of many problems. You would do well to

    > avoid
    > > > it. Stick with Norton Antivirus if you use anything, as it is ok. But

    > the
    > > > NIS suite sucks.
    > > >

    > > > ..
    > > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > > reporting

    > ran
    > > > ok,

    > OE

    said
    > > anti

    installed
    > > the

    > > parental

    in
    > > > their
    > > > newsreader.general

    > connect

    2004
    > > no

    > any
    > > > >

    > > Thor, I need more constructive input then it sucks. you were not

    helpfull
    > > one bit as you might think it sucks, but i may love it or others might

    > love
    > > it.

    > I'm sorry, but that is constructive advice IMHO. I've enough experience

    with
    > the problems that NIS causes in customer machines that I believe NIS
    > problems are best solved by removing NIS, IMHO. You want a solution more

    > your liking? Try uninstalling it, then reinstalling it. But in the end,

    it's
    > still a crap software suite just like systemWorks. Too invasive, too much
    > crap running in the background, and it slows the system down. I've found

    NIS
    > to be the source of screwing up the networking components in windows so
    > often that I would never *ever* recommend that suite to ANYONE. So take or
    > leave my advice, however radical it may seem to you.

    Thor, the only reason I am trying it is for the parent control to block web
    sites and newsgroups porn stuff. It is causing problems in that and I'm
    waiting a response from symantec now. I've found no other parent control
    software that is any good with regards to blocking porn web sites and
    newsgroups and I have tried net nanny , and couple others. So I thot I'd try
    the NIS 2004.

    Now if you know of a filtering software that will do what I need, you let me
    know and I'd happily try it and not use NIS 2004 anymore.

    Diehard, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > avoid

    But
    > > the

    > > > reporting

    it
    > > ran

    causing
    > > OE

    > said
    > > > anti

    > installed
    > > > the

    > > > parental

    not
    > in

    > > connect

    > 2004
    > > > no

    from
    > > any
    > > > > >

    > > > Thor, I need more constructive input then it sucks. you were not

    > helpfull
    > > > one bit as you might think it sucks, but i may love it or others might

    > > love
    > > > it.

    > > I'm sorry, but that is constructive advice IMHO. I've enough experience

    > with
    > > the problems that NIS causes in customer machines that I believe NIS
    > > problems are best solved by removing NIS, IMHO. You want a solution more

    > > your liking? Try uninstalling it, then reinstalling it. But in the end,

    > it's
    > > still a crap software suite just like systemWorks. Too invasive, too

    much
    > > crap running in the background, and it slows the system down. I've found

    > NIS
    > > to be the source of screwing up the networking components in windows so
    > > often that I would never *ever* recommend that suite to ANYONE. So take

    or
    > > leave my advice, however radical it may seem to you.
    > >

    > Thor, the only reason I am trying it is for the parent control to block

    web
    > sites and newsgroups porn stuff. It is causing problems in that and I'm
    > waiting a response from symantec now. I've found no other parent control
    > software that is any good with regards to blocking porn web sites and
    > newsgroups and I have tried net nanny , and couple others. So I thot I'd

    try
    > the NIS 2004.
    >
    > Now if you know of a filtering software that will do what I need, you let

    me
    > know and I'd happily try it and not use NIS 2004 anymore.

    No filtering software is a magic bullet. But given Norton's track record
    with it's suites, it doesn't surprise me that it's not working properly,
    hence my response. As for alternatives, the customers I have that use
    content filtering software generally seem to like cyberpatrol. I don't
    really like *any* filtering software because most of it is frought with
    problems of one kind or another. Either it's too aggressive, or not
    agressive enough, and it's also one more thing that has to wrap it's
    tentacles throughout your system's networking settings, and therefore is
    more potential for trouble.

    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > try
    > > the NIS 2004.
    > >
    > > Now if you know of a filtering software that will do what I need, you

    let
    > me
    > > know and I'd happily try it and not use NIS 2004 anymore.

    > No filtering software is a magic bullet. But given Norton's track record
    > with it's suites, it doesn't surprise me that it's not working properly,
    > hence my response. As for alternatives, the customers I have that use
    > content filtering software generally seem to like cyberpatrol. I don't
    > really like *any* filtering software because most of it is frought with
    > problems of one kind or another. Either it's too aggressive, or not
    > agressive enough, and it's also one more thing that has to wrap it's
    > tentacles throughout your system's networking settings, and therefore is

    Thor, I need filtering for newsgroups as well as web sites and cyberpatrol
    doesn't touch newsgroups.

    Net nanny has this feature, but corrupts downloads from usenet from groups
    not blocked. so it's useless. www.s4f.com is ok, i tried it, but it doesn't
    filter alt.binaries.dvd.erotica and they even say it's blocked. however it
    isn't. we-blocker.com isn't compatible with windows xp. cybersitter same
    problem, no newsgroup stuff.

    i got a response from symantec saying they won't help me cus i must buy it
    first. then i replyed saying why would i buy something that does not work?

    So i have no idea what filtering software to use that could block web sites
    and newsgroups porn stuff.

    any thoughts?

    Diehard, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Diehard

    K.A.Z. Guest

    Diehard wrote:

    > anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error reporting
    > tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at first it ran
    > ok, i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then it started causing
    > OE to crash each time i opened OE. the error reporting tool opened and
    > said anti spam was the problem. NIS 2004 had been updated fully. i un
    > installed the trial and no more crashes.

    Get rid of NAV

    Let me give you a bit of advice on NAV-2004. Nessus will kick the doors in
    on your computer.

    I don't use 'windows' or any programs like Nav, McAfee. etc....BUT I WILL
    TELL YOU THIS.........If you have a friend on Unix ask him/her to test your
    security.......The only firewall that they can't get through is sygate.

    I say this because my sister came over and we got into this argument Unix vs
    windows, etc, etc.......Yeah norton is so cool.
    I owned her computer within 10-min. That scared the shit out of
    her.........She went back home and downloaded several firewall program/s
    and the one I couldn't get through was sygate _ and it was free windows
    firewall...........DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT; ASK A UNIX-FREEBSD, LINUX
    USER to
    hit a ya with Nessus.

    K.A.Z., Dec 3, 2003
  9. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "K.A.Z." <> wrote in message news:3853196.ESlpSmWL4f@FreeBSD...
    > Diehard wrote:
    >

    > > anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error

    reporting
    > > tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at first it ran
    > > ok, i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then it started causing
    > > OE to crash each time i opened OE. the error reporting tool opened and
    > > said anti spam was the problem. NIS 2004 had been updated fully. i un
    > > installed the trial and no more crashes.
    > >

    > Get rid of NAV
    >
    > Let me give you a bit of advice on NAV-2004. Nessus will kick the doors in
    > on your computer.
    >
    > I don't use 'windows' or any programs like Nav, McAfee. etc....BUT I WILL
    > TELL YOU THIS.........If you have a friend on Unix ask him/her to test

    your
    > security.......The only firewall that they can't get through is sygate.
    >
    > I say this because my sister came over and we got into this argument Unix

    vs
    > windows, etc, etc.......Yeah norton is so cool.
    > I owned her computer within 10-min. That scared the shit out of
    > her.........She went back home and downloaded several firewall program/s
    > and the one I couldn't get through was sygate _ and it was free windows
    > firewall...........DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT; ASK A UNIX-FREEBSD, LINUX
    > USER to
    > hit a ya with Nessus.

    I'm behind a firewall router. i only tested NIS 2004 for the parent control
    to block porn newsgroups and web sites. it didn't work, they told me to buy
    it to get help. i also have already NAV 2003.

    Diehard, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > agressive enough, and it's also one more thing that has to wrap it's
    > > tentacles throughout your system's networking settings, and therefore is
    > > more potential for trouble.
    > >

    > Thor, I need filtering for newsgroups as well as web sites and cyberpatrol
    > doesn't touch newsgroups.
    >
    > Net nanny has this feature, but corrupts downloads from usenet from groups
    > not blocked. so it's useless. www.s4f.com is ok, i tried it, but it

    doesn't
    > filter alt.binaries.dvd.erotica and they even say it's blocked. however it
    > isn't. we-blocker.com isn't compatible with windows xp. cybersitter same
    > problem, no newsgroup stuff.
    >
    > i got a response from symantec saying they won't help me cus i must buy it
    > first. then i replyed saying why would i buy something that does not work?
    >
    > So i have no idea what filtering software to use that could block web

    In your situation, I'd just remove the newsgroup account settings
    altogether, or merely remove the password (if present), so the kids cannot
    login to newsgroup server access. Or, create a secondary login account in XP
    for the kiddies, and password protect your admin account. Then use the "set
    program access and defaults" option to shut out access to Outlook Express on
    the limited accounts.

    Thor, Dec 3, 2003
  11. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    K.A.Z. wrote:
    > Diehard wrote:
    >

    >> anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error
    >> reporting tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at
    >> first it ran ok, i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then
    >> it started causing OE to crash each time i opened OE. the error
    >> reporting tool opened and said anti spam was the problem. NIS 2004
    >> had been updated fully. i un installed the trial and no more crashes.
    >>

    > Get rid of NAV
    >
    > Let me give you a bit of advice on NAV-2004. Nessus will kick the
    > doors in on your computer.
    >
    > I don't use 'windows' or any programs like Nav, McAfee. etc....BUT I
    > WILL TELL YOU THIS.........If you have a friend on Unix ask him/her
    > to test your security.......The only firewall that they can't get
    > through is sygate.
    >
    > I say this because my sister came over and we got into this argument
    > Unix vs windows, etc, etc.......Yeah norton is so cool.
    > I owned her computer within 10-min. That scared the shit out of
    > her.........She went back home and downloaded several firewall
    > program/s and the one I couldn't get through was sygate _ and it was
    > free windows firewall...........DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT; ASK A
    > UNIX-FREEBSD, LINUX USER to
    > hit a ya with Nessus.

    Did you try to get through a Kerio Personal Firewall...or Zone Alarm?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    > K.A.Z. wrote:
    > > Diehard wrote:
    > >

    > >> anti spam causes outlook express to crash and the windows error
    > >> reporting tool says this. i downloaded the trial for NIS 2004 and at
    > >> first it ran ok, i turned off anti spam cus i don't get spam. then
    > >> it started causing OE to crash each time i opened OE. the error
    > >> reporting tool opened and said anti spam was the problem. NIS 2004
    > >> had been updated fully. i un installed the trial and no more crashes.
    > >>

    > > Get rid of NAV
    > >
    > > Let me give you a bit of advice on NAV-2004. Nessus will kick the
    > > doors in on your computer.
    > >
    > > I don't use 'windows' or any programs like Nav, McAfee. etc....BUT I
    > > WILL TELL YOU THIS.........If you have a friend on Unix ask him/her
    > > to test your security.......The only firewall that they can't get
    > > through is sygate.
    > >
    > > I say this because my sister came over and we got into this argument
    > > Unix vs windows, etc, etc.......Yeah norton is so cool.
    > > I owned her computer within 10-min. That scared the shit out of
    > > her.........She went back home and downloaded several firewall
    > > program/s and the one I couldn't get through was sygate _ and it was
    > > free windows firewall...........DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT; ASK A
    > > UNIX-FREEBSD, LINUX USER to
    > > hit a ya with Nessus.

    > Did you try to get through a Kerio Personal Firewall...or Zone Alarm?
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    night, who are you asking?

    Diehard, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> K.A.Z. wrote:

    >>> Get rid of NAV
    >>>
    >>> Let me give you a bit of advice on NAV-2004. Nessus will kick the
    >>> doors in on your computer.
    >>>
    >>> I don't use 'windows' or any programs like Nav, McAfee. etc....BUT I
    >>> WILL TELL YOU THIS.........If you have a friend on Unix ask him/her
    >>> to test your security.......The only firewall that they can't get
    >>> through is sygate.
    >>>
    >>> I say this because my sister came over and we got into this argument
    >>> Unix vs windows, etc, etc.......Yeah norton is so cool.
    >>> I owned her computer within 10-min. That scared the shit out of
    >>> her.........She went back home and downloaded several firewall
    >>> program/s and the one I couldn't get through was sygate _ and it was
    >>> free windows firewall...........DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT; ASK A
    >>> UNIX-FREEBSD, LINUX USER to
    >>> hit a ya with Nessus.

    >> Did you try to get through a Kerio Personal Firewall...or Zone Alarm?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > night, who are you asking?

    I'm asking this K.A.Z. guy...