norton ghost

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by road_runner519@yahoo.com, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Let me start with, I don't know if this the right place to post this.

    I bought a gateway media center desktop pc, and every year it gets
    cluttered with a lot of garbage , not mentioning making the system
    unstable at times or the keyboard or mouse keep behaving in an eratic
    way , to make it SHORT , I end up re-installing the system several
    times a year, and of course re-installing the other drivers and
    hotfixes ( Win xp pro media edition ), i called gateway and asked how
    they made their restore DVD , the answer is norton ghost,
    got it , installed it , made a copy of a clean installed system , ran
    it ---- NOTHING ..!
    The question is :
    How can I make a restore DVD for my system that does everything
    automatically and reinstall my system with all the drivers and
    softwares ( Printers , Ms office , antivirus , firewalls , ... etc. )
    just like the manufacturer DVD , putting in mind that I'm having a
    friend putting together another system and of course those systems
    don't have restore cd's too.

    note :
    1- The manufacturer's restore DVD boots up and restores the system
    with a fresh install including formatting the HDD.
    2- I don't have a floppy on the system.
    3- I tried the help files but may be I couldn't see it.
    4- I don't have a lot of knowledge about programming if needed , but
    willing to learn if i have to.
    5- pc specs if needed :
    p4 ht 3.0 ghz
    1 gig. ram
    sata hdd 250 gig
    d/l dvd burner

    I know its a big message , I'm still a newbie , gotta start
    somewhere.
    THX

    , Feb 11, 2007

  2. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:

    Perhaps this? - http://selfimage.excelcia.org/.

    Otter, Feb 11, 2007

  3. why? Guest

    On 10 Feb 2007 20:45:00 -0800, wrote:

    >Let me start with, I don't know if this the right place to post this.
    >
    > I bought a gateway media center desktop pc, and every year it gets
    >cluttered with a lot of garbage , not mentioning making the system
    >unstable at times or the keyboard or mouse keep behaving in an eratic
    >way , to make it SHORT , I end up re-installing the system several
    >times a year, and of course re-installing the other drivers and
    >hotfixes ( Win xp pro media edition ), i called gateway and asked how
    >they made their restore DVD , the answer is norton ghost,
    >got it , installed it , made a copy of a clean installed system , ran
    >it ---- NOTHING ..!

    NOTHING, WHAT?

    If you start off with a clean install, put the OS and all the apps on,
    patch it, set it up how you like. You use Ghost to backup the system at
    that point in time.

    You make further Ghost images so you don't have to start at the 1st all
    the time. So if something goes wrong you may only need to go back a week
    or so. Remembering the image overwrites everything you did since, and
    may lose data.

    >The question is :
    >How can I make a restore DVD for my system that does everything
    >automatically and reinstall my system with all the drivers and
    >softwares ( Printers , Ms office , antivirus , firewalls , ... etc. )
    >just like the manufacturer DVD , putting in mind that I'm having a

    That's called scripting, unattended install, MSI package, hard work ,
    testing and deployment.

    for XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/default.mspx
    for Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/default.mspx

    Most likely you will need the resource kits for XP, Office

    for Office XP, as an example
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363051033.aspx

    It's all on the MS site, you just have to look. That's only 3 links of
    dozens for installing.

    >friend putting together another system and of course those systems
    >don't have restore cd's too.

    For the vendor stuff AV, Fw, contact them? You will need to find the
    scripts on the manufacturer DVD, the AV, FW packages and copy those to
    your install DVD.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 11, 2007
  4. why? Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> Thou fly-covered bankrupt.
    Thou bawdy false murd'rous coward. Thou valiant flea. Thou corruptor of
    words. Ye announced and ye reproached:

    > NOTHING, WHAT?

    Oh, nothing.

    why?, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Bryan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Let me start with, I don't know if this the right place to post this.
    >
    > I bought a gateway media center desktop pc, and every year it gets
    > cluttered with a lot of garbage , not mentioning making the system
    > unstable at times or the keyboard or mouse keep behaving in an eratic
    > way , to make it SHORT , I end up re-installing the system several
    > times a year, and of course re-installing the other drivers and
    > hotfixes ( Win xp pro media edition ), i called gateway and asked how
    > they made their restore DVD , the answer is norton ghost,
    > got it , installed it , made a copy of a clean installed system , ran
    > it ---- NOTHING ..!
    > The question is :
    > How can I make a restore DVD for my system that does everything
    > automatically and reinstall my system with all the drivers and
    > softwares ( Printers , Ms office , antivirus , firewalls , ... etc. )
    > just like the manufacturer DVD , putting in mind that I'm having a
    > friend putting together another system and of course those systems
    > don't have restore cd's too.
    >
    > note :
    > 1- The manufacturer's restore DVD boots up and restores the system
    > with a fresh install including formatting the HDD.
    > 2- I don't have a floppy on the system.
    > 3- I tried the help files but may be I couldn't see it.
    > 4- I don't have a lot of knowledge about programming if needed , but
    > willing to learn if i have to.
    > 5- pc specs if needed :
    > p4 ht 3.0 ghz
    > 1 gig. ram
    > sata hdd 250 gig
    > d/l dvd burner
    >
    > I know its a big message , I'm still a newbie , gotta start
    > somewhere.
    > THX

    having read your story I was wondering if you ever defragmented your hard
    disk at all. If not then this might help to keep your system running better
    for longer. Also what are you doing to get cluttered up with so much
    garbage, are you installing loads of programs and deleting them? If deleting
    do you use the uninstall icon in program manager? You shouldn't have to
    reinstall windows several times a year and it is quite a hassle as well.

    Bryan, Feb 11, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Feb 11, 2:58 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On 10 Feb 2007 20:45:00 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >Let me start with, I don't know if this the right place to post this.

    > > I bought a gateway media center desktop pc, and every year it gets
    > >cluttered with a lot of garbage , not mentioning making the system
    > >unstable at times or the keyboard or mouse keep behaving in an eratic
    > >way , to make it SHORT , I end up re-installing the system several
    > >times a year, and of course re-installing the other drivers and
    > >hotfixes ( Win xp pro media edition ), i called gateway and asked how
    > >they made their restore DVD , the answer isnortonghost,
    > >got it , installed it , made a copy of a clean installed system , ran
    > >it ---- NOTHING ..!

    > NOTHING, WHAT?
    >
    > If you start off with a clean install, put the OS and all the apps on,
    > patch it, set it up how you like. You useGhostto backup the system at
    > that point in time.
    >
    > You make furtherGhostimages so you don't have to start at the 1st all
    > the time. So if something goes wrong you may only need to go back a week
    > or so. Remembering the image overwrites everything you did since, and
    > may lose data.
    >
    > >The question is :
    > >How can I make a restore DVD for my system that does everything
    > >automatically and reinstall my system with all the drivers and
    > >softwares ( Printers , Ms office , antivirus , firewalls , ... etc. )
    > >just like the manufacturer DVD , putting in mind that I'm having a

    > That's called scripting, unattended install, MSI package, hard work ,
    > testing and deployment.
    >
    > for XPhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/default....
    > for Desktophttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/default.mspx
    >
    > Most likely you will need the resource kits for XP, Office
    >
    > for Office XP, as an examplehttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363051033.aspx
    >
    > It's all on the MS site, you just have to look. That's only 3 links of
    > dozens for installing.
    >
    > >friend putting together another system and of course those systems
    > >don't have restore cd's too.

    > For the vendor stuff AV, Fw, contact them? You will need to find the
    > scripts on the manufacturer DVD, the AV, FW packages and copy those to
    > your install DVD.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    thx a bunch.
    i have all the original cd's if that's what you meant, and are those
    scriots found on those cd's , if yes where can i find them ?
    otherwise i'll do some more research, before posting other questions,
    although it looks a little bit intimedating and hi-tech for a newbie,
    but its a place to start.
    hope you don't mind more questions if i don't get it..!
    thx again.

    , Feb 13, 2007
  7. why? Guest

    On 13 Feb 2007 01:12:28 -0800, wrote:

    >On Feb 11, 2:58 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On 10 Feb 2007 20:45:00 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >> >Let me start with, I don't know if this the right place to post this.

    >> > I bought a gateway media center desktop pc, and every year it gets
    >> >cluttered with a lot of garbage , not mentioning making the system

    <snip>

    >> >The question is :
    >> >How can I make a restore DVD for my system that does everything
    >> >automatically and reinstall my system with all the drivers and
    >> >softwares ( Printers , Ms office , antivirus , firewalls , ... etc. )
    >> >just like the manufacturer DVD , putting in mind that I'm having a

    >> That's called scripting, unattended install, MSI package, hard work ,
    >> testing and deployment.

    <snip>

    >> Me

    >thx a bunch.
    >i have all the original cd's if that's what you meant, and are those
    >scriots found on those cd's , if yes where can i find them ?

    Don't have a gateway PC, or thier CD's You would have to look yourself
    using the clues in the deployment articles mentioned.

    >otherwise i'll do some more research, before posting other questions,
    >although it looks a little bit intimedating and hi-tech for a newbie,
    >but its a place to start.

    It's just a bit of work. Years ago I first did this stuff on NT4 Servers
    and it's simply a case of information gathering, a spare PC to test
    builds on and that's it really. Nowdays with Google and WIn2000, XP etc
    there are lots more examples, documentation, try www.google.com

    MSFN Forums > MCE SlipstreamingAs for install of unattended MCE updates
    the only way is by RunOnce method. the switches for Rollup2 & January
    Rollup for MCE 2005 are /quiet /norestart . ...
    www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t70371.html - 14k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    MSFN Forums > Nlite and MCENext if u want to install MCE unattended then
    make room for the MCE files in ur UA CD ~180MB copy 'cmpnents' folder
    from CD 2 to u r UA CD root ...
    www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t48984.html - 27k - Cached -
    Similar pages
    [ More results from www.msfn.org ]

    Aaron Stebner's WebLog : Mailbag: How to perform an unattended ...I
    would like to also perform an unattended installation of Visual
    SourceSafe 2005 . ... Thoughts about setup and deployment issues,
    Windows Media Center, ...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/07/24/677497.aspx - 22k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Aaron Stebner's WebLog : Update regarding chaining unattended
    ....Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, Windows Media Center,
    Windows Embedded, ... Update regarding chaining unattended installation
    of VS and MSDN ...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/02/28/382187.aspx - 25k -
    Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from blogs.msdn.com ]

    >hope you don't mind more questions if i don't get it..!
    >thx again.

    The only 1 I am looking at now is Vista.

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2007