    Running win xp sp2.
    I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it wont boot.
    Am i missing somthing simple.

    CLEFT, Jan 8, 2006

  2. CLEFT

    Helen Guest

    "CLEFT" <> wrote in message
    news:dpposl$cjk$-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi all,
    > just got an new hard drive.
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it wont boot.
    > Am i missing somthing simple.

    I don't know about SP2, but I changed hard drives and had no problem
    with XP SP1. I used the mfg's overlay and chose XP as the OS. Then
    proceeded to install XP using my licensed CD. I do not recall whether
    or not I had to reactivate it or not. But this is a bit different that what you
    are doing. XP, upon install and activation records the system that the
    program is on. So trying to run it on a different system probably won't
    work in any case. I'll bet that if you do get it to boot and run, that you
    won't be able to use it unless you pay Microsoft for a use license.
    It is my understanding that once XP2 is installed, it can't be un-installed.
    All I know is that it won't run on this computer. It is my further understanding
    that XP is designed deliberately so that a single copy cannot be used on
    more than one machine, the possible exception being a server with
    several workstations.

    Helen
    --
    It has always been the policy of the
    advocates of error, when unable to

    Helen, Jan 8, 2006

  3. CLEFT

    Willard Guest

    CLEFT wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >just got an new hard drive.
    >Running win xp sp2.
    >I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it wont boot.
    >Am i missing somthing simple.

    Have you tried Ghost DOS floppy boot disk command:
    ghost-clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2 -ia -ib
    This does a complete sector by sector copy of disk #1 to disk #2..

    Willard, Jan 8, 2006
  4. CLEFT

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:OMZvf.3019$,
    Helen spewed forth:
    > "CLEFT" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> just got an new hard drive.
    >> Running win xp sp2.
    >> I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it
    >> wont boot. Am i missing somthing simple.
    >>

    > I don't know about SP2, but I changed hard drives and had no problem
    > with XP SP1. I used the mfg's overlay and chose XP as the OS. Then
    > proceeded to install XP using my licensed CD. I do not recall whether
    > or not I had to reactivate it or not. But this is a bit different
    > that what you are doing. XP, upon install and activation records
    > the system that the program is on. So trying to run it on a
    > different system probably won't
    > work in any case. I'll bet that if you do get it to boot and run,
    > that you won't be able to use it unless you pay Microsoft for a use
    > license.
    > It is my understanding that once XP2 is installed, it can't be
    > un-installed. All I know is that it won't run on this computer. It is
    > my further understanding that XP is designed deliberately so that a
    > single copy cannot be used on
    > more than one machine, the possible exception being a server with
    > several workstations.
    >
    > Helen

    "Won't boot" (as the OP said) and "won't run because MS says I have to
    reactivate" aren't exactly the same thing, now are they?

    In the subject line he refered to Norton Ghost, so my guess is that his new
    disk doesn't have the boot partition set as active.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 8, 2006
  5. CLEFT

    CLEFT Guest

    "Willard" <> wrote in message
    > CLEFT wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>just got an new hard drive.
    >>Running win xp sp2.
    >>I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it wont
    >>boot.
    >>Am i missing somthing simple.
    >>

    > Have you tried Ghost DOS floppy boot disk command:
    > ghost-clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2 -ia -ib
    > This does a complete sector by sector copy of disk #1 to disk #2..

    Thanks peep's i'll give itt a go that way.

    CLEFT, Jan 8, 2006
  6. CLEFT

    John Holmes Guest

    Helen blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "CLEFT" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> just got an new hard drive.
    >> Running win xp sp2.
    >> I did a disc copy to transfer my old drive to my new drive but it
    >> wont boot. Am i missing somthing simple.
    >>

    > I don't know

    <snip>

    > I do not recall whether

    <snip>

    > I'll bet that if you do get

    <snip>

    > It is my understanding that

    <snip>

    > All I know is

    <snip>

    > Helen

    STFU, you fucking fat, mad cow.

    --
    Your mother was a secretive mud wrestler who couldn't find her bra in a
    munitions factory.

    John Holmes, Jan 8, 2006