    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"
    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    Alasdair Baxter <> wrote:

    > I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer
    > the total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the
    > advanced "clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything
    > across but as soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected
    > (electronically) from my machine so that I have to stop and
    > restart the complete machine again to bring the USB drive into
    > recognition.
    >
    > Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way
    > to transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB
    > drive either using Ghost or something else?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.

    Hi

    Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents to the
    'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to a floppy.
    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004

  3. On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer <>
    wrote:

    >Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents to the
    >'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to a floppy.

    Thanks for the tip. I wanted to use Ghost because there are 9Gb of
    files to transfer and I thought Ghost would do a better job. I have
    only used Ghost once before and I may not be using it correctly.

    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    Alasdair Baxter <> wrote:

    > On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents
    >>to the 'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to
    >>a floppy.

    > Thanks for the tip. I wanted to use Ghost because there are 9Gb
    > of files to transfer and I thought Ghost would do a better job.
    > I have only used Ghost once before and I may not be using it
    > correctly.

    You're welcome. :)
    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    >> I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer the
    >> total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the advanced
    >> "clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything across but as
    >> soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected (electronically) from my
    >> machine so that I have to stop and restart the complete machine again
    >> to bring the USB drive into recognition.
    >>
    >> Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way to
    >> transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB drive
    >> either using Ghost or something else?
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115
    >> 9423263
    >>
    >> "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    >> It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Ghost may have a problem with many USB drives. Check their help online:
    http://tinyurl.com/2u7nt

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Alasdair Baxter

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:16:02 +0100, Alasdair Baxter <>
    wrote:

    >I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer the
    >total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the advanced
    >"clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything across but as
    >soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected (electronically) from my
    >machine so that I have to stop and restart the complete machine again
    >to bring the USB drive into recognition.
    >
    >Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way to
    >transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB drive
    >either using Ghost or something else?
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation.

    Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the clone
    etc can be done in DOS

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Jun 14, 2004
  7. On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:42 +1000, Jimmy Dean <>
    wrote:

    >Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the clone
    >etc can be done in DOS

    Do please tell me how or please suggest a site where I can get the
    details.

    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    > | On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:42 +1000, Jimmy Dean <>
    > | wrote:
    > |
    > | >Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the
    > | >clone etc can be done in DOS
    > |
    > | Do please tell me how or please suggest a site where I can get the
    > | details.

    There are a three things you need to know first: if you have a USB 2.0
    external drive, and USB 1.x ports on the computer, it won't work. If you are
    on a laptop and your USB 2.0 ports are on a PCMCIA card, it won't work. If
    you have both USB 1.x AND USB 2.0 ports in your computer, you will need to
    totally disable the 1.x ports before Ghost will work (usually done in CMOS.)

    Then, you just need to read the help files that came with the program. There
    is no "step by step" detail page that I've found for Ghost on the web -
    that's why they ship help files with the software.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Alasdair Baxter

    J Smith Guest

    On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer <>
    wrote:
    The only way I've used USB is with Ghost version 2003.
    You can boot with the Ghost 2003 CDROM which will recognize the USB
    drive. It gives you the choice of using USB version 1.1 or 2.0 .
    Even when using a USB 2.0 device and port it still has problems with
    2.0 . (Symantec knows about this problem) Using version 1.1 (to boot
    with) works every time with no problems. I haven't encountered a 2.0
    device yet that wasn't backwards compatible with 1.1 drivers. Maybe
    since I won't buy a device that isn't backwards compatible.
    Give it a whirl, it's worked for me 100's of times; I have to take
    image snapshots of installed PC's that have had various software
    changes.

    J Smith, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    Why are you telling me this?

    Boomer, Jun 15, 2004
  11. On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:50:43 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >There are a three things you need to know first: if you have a USB 2.0
    >external drive, and USB 1.x ports on the computer, it won't work. If you are
    >on a laptop and your USB 2.0 ports are on a PCMCIA card, it won't work. If
    >you have both USB 1.x AND USB 2.0 ports in your computer, you will need to
    >totally disable the 1.x ports before Ghost will work (usually done in CMOS.)
    >
    >Then, you just need to read the help files that came with the program. There
    >is no "step by step" detail page that I've found for Ghost on the web -
    >that's why they ship help files with the software.

    Please, can anyone say whether there is a better program than Ghost
    for this job? I'll gladly buy it. What about Drive Image?

    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:50:43 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > There are a three things you need to know first: if you have a
    > > > USB 2.0 external drive, and USB 1.x ports on the computer, it
    > > > won't work. If you are on a laptop and your USB 2.0 ports are on
    > > > a PCMCIA card, it won't work. If you have both USB 1.x AND USB
    > > > 2.0 ports in your computer, you will need to totally disable the
    > > > 1.x ports before Ghost will work (usually done in CMOS.)
    > > >
    > > > Then, you just need to read the help files that came with the
    > > > program. There is no "step by step" detail page that I've found
    > > > for Ghost on the web - that's why they ship help files with the
    > > > software.

    > > Please, can anyone say whether there is a better program than Ghost
    > > for this job? I'll gladly buy it. What about Drive Image?

    Guess what! It's now owned by Symantec too, just like Norton Ghost.
    http://www.symantec.com/driveimage/sys_req.html
    Check their supported drives list (drop-down menu under "Support", and maybe
    other information at the above link.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 16, 2004
  13. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    > "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message

    >> > Please, can anyone say whether there is a better program than
    >> > Ghost for this job? I'll gladly buy it. What about Drive
    >> > Image?

    > Guess what! It's now owned by Symantec too, just like Norton
    > Ghost. http://www.symantec.com/driveimage/sys_req.html
    > Check their supported drives list (drop-down menu under
    > "Support", and maybe other information at the above link.

    What I don't get is why he wants a 3rd party app to, transfer a doc
    file, that can be done by a copy/paste to the external drive.
    Boomer, Jun 16, 2004
  14. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message

    > > > Guess what! It's now owned by Symantec too, just like Norton
    > > > Ghost. http://www.symantec.com/driveimage/sys_req.html
    > > > Check their supported drives list (drop-down menu under
    > > > "Support", and maybe other information at the above link.

    > > What I don't get is why he wants a 3rd party app to, transfer a doc
    > > file, that can be done by a copy/paste to the external drive.

    Can't argue with that - Cloning software is definately overkill...there's
    always drag and drop, too! I have my files "mirrored" to an external USB
    drive, so when I save it on the HD, it goes to the USB drive for backup
    automatically.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 16, 2004
  15. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> > What I don't get is why he wants a 3rd party app to, transfer
    >> > a doc file, that can be done by a copy/paste to the external
    >> > drive.

    > Can't argue with that - Cloning software is definately
    > overkill...there's always drag and drop, too!

    Yup.

    > I have my files
    > "mirrored" to an external USB drive, so when I save it on the
    > HD, it goes to the USB drive for backup automatically.

    How'd you do the 'mirrored' bit when you save it to the main drive?
    That has to be a third party app.
    Freeware, I hope.
    Boomer, Jun 16, 2004
  16. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    > > [snip]

    > > > Can't argue with that - Cloning software is definately
    > > > overkill...there's always drag and drop, too!

    > > Yup.
    > >
    > > > I have my files
    > > > "mirrored" to an external USB drive, so when I save it on the
    > > > HD, it goes to the USB drive for backup automatically.

    > > How'd you do the 'mirrored' bit when you save it to the main drive?
    > > That has to be a third party app.
    > > Freeware, I hope.

    Yeah - "Ghostfiles 2.0" from http://www.lowrieweb.com/products.htm
    It's not 'perfect', since it doesn't synchronise. I think their version 3
    does...but that costs money.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 16, 2004
  17. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> > How'd you do the 'mirrored' bit when you save it to the main
    >> > drive? That has to be a third party app.
    >> > Freeware, I hope.

    > Yeah - "Ghostfiles 2.0" from
    > http://www.lowrieweb.com/products.htm It's not 'perfect', since
    > it doesn't synchronise. I think their version 3 does...but that
    > costs money.

    Guess I'll have to keep copying and pasting or drag and dropping.

    Thanks much, Tim. :)
    Boomer, Jun 16, 2004
  18. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    > > [snip]

    > > > Yeah - "Ghostfiles 2.0" from
    > > > http://www.lowrieweb.com/products.htm It's not 'perfect', since
    > > > it doesn't synchronise. I think their version 3 does...but that
    > > > costs money.

    > > Guess I'll have to keep copying and pasting or drag and dropping.
    > >
    > > Thanks much, Tim. :)

    A few weeks back someone posted sync type software here. I tried one, but I
    didn't like it, since it was more like an automated backup that ran on a
    schedule. I was afraid I'd unplug the USB drive before the backup was done.
    I'm going to keep looking though!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 16, 2004
  19. Alasdair Baxter

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    >> > [snip]

    >> > Guess I'll have to keep copying and pasting or drag and
    >> > dropping.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks much, Tim. :)

    > A few weeks back someone posted sync type software here. I tried
    > one, but I didn't like it, since it was more like an automated
    > backup that ran on a schedule. I was afraid I'd unplug the USB
    > drive before the backup was done. I'm going to keep looking
    > though!

    Thanks! :)
    Boomer, Jun 16, 2004
  20. Alasdair Baxter

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:54:10 +0100, Alasdair Baxter <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:42 +1000, Jimmy Dean <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the clone
    >>etc can be done in DOS

    >Do please tell me how or please suggest a site where I can get the
    >details.

    You need the full install of Norton Ghost (Windohs version) - it is a
    utility in that.

    You can try
    http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

    which I think I found by Googling "usb" and "boot" (title search)

    cheers
    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Jun 17, 2004