    gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
    any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

    , Sep 5, 2006

  2. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 4 Sep 2006 18:09:10 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi dear all:
    >
    >I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    >old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    >that I selected (X means checked):
    >
    >X Check source for file system errors
    >X Check destination for file system errors
    >X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
    >X Set drive active (for boothing OS)
    >
    >The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
    >turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
    >drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
    >windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
    >command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
    >which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
    >Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
    >If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
    >gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
    >any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

    I would suggest you need to SYSPREP/Reseal the IDE HD before cloning
    to SATA HD. I would also recommend you create a normal Ghost image of
    the IDE HD before applying SYSPREP as a backup just in case.

    Cloning WinXP from an old HD to a new HD in the same PC using Ghost
    1. Create C:\Sysprep\
    2. Get the WinXP CD used for the current installation, then locate
    [CD]:\SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB
    3. Extract sysprep.exe and setupcl.exe from DEPLOY.CAB into
    C:\Sysprep\
    4. Run sysprep.exe and choose Reseal PC, Shutdown - the PC will
    shutdown when finished (NB: Do not boot the PC into Windows again
    until cloning in step 5 is done)
    5. Use Ghost to clone from the old HD to the new HD
    6. Set the new HD as HD0 and start the PC

    The above used Ghost 2003 but Ghost 9 should be OK. WinXP should
    start, but only after a somewhat protracted process which may involve
    reentering the product key and reactivation.

    The Acronis products are supposed to bypass the need for the above -
    sounds good but I have yet to try them.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 6, 2006