Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hotister@hotmail.com, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi dear all:

    I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    that I selected (X means checked):

    X Check source for file system errors
    X Check destination for file system errors
    X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
    X Set drive active (for boothing OS)

    I also set the Destination partition type to be "Primary partition"
    (but didn't assign drive letter), and for advanced configuration
    option, I also checked the "Copy MBR"

    The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
    turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
    drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
    windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
    command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
    which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
    Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
    If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
    gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. If I connect both drive (EIDE and
    SATA), it will also keep rebooting itself, however, if I unplug the new
    SATA drive, everything back to normal and I could boot into XP Pro
    again...

    Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for solving this
    problem? Many thanks!

    , Sep 5, 2006

  2. mdp Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi dear all:
    >
    > I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    > old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    > that I selected (X means checked):
    >
    > X Check source for file system errors
    > X Check destination for file system errors
    > X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
    > X Set drive active (for boothing OS)
    >
    > I also set the Destination partition type to be "Primary partition"
    > (but didn't assign drive letter), and for advanced configuration
    > option, I also checked the "Copy MBR"
    >
    > The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
    > turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
    > drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
    > windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
    > command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
    > which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
    > Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
    > If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
    > gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. If I connect both drive (EIDE and
    > SATA), it will also keep rebooting itself, however, if I unplug the
    > new SATA drive, everything back to normal and I could boot into XP Pro
    > again...
    >
    > Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for solving this
    > problem? Many thanks!

    I agree with MP, go with Acronis. In the meantime, check the file boot.ini
    in the root directory. Norton will change this when it needs to, and
    perhaps when it doesn't.

    mdp, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:12:32 +0000, mdp Has Frothed:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi dear all:
    >>
    >> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    >> old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    >> that I selected (X means checked):
    >>
    >> X Check source for file system errors X Check destination for file
    >> system errors X Resize drive to fill unallocated space X Set drive
    >> active (for boothing OS)
    >>
    >> I also set the Destination partition type to be "Primary partition" (but
    >> didn't assign drive letter), and for advanced configuration option, I
    >> also checked the "Copy MBR"
    >>
    >> The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD, turn
    >> off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only drive
    >> available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the windows
    >> XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or command line
    >> start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly, which I did),
    >> and if I select the "normal start", it will load the Windows XP Pro
    >> logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again. If I choose the
    >> command line (or safe mode), it will load up to gagp30kx.sys driver and
    >> then freeze. If I connect both drive (EIDE and SATA), it will also keep
    >> rebooting itself, however, if I unplug the new SATA drive, everything
    >> back to normal and I could boot into XP Pro again...
    >>
    >> Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for solving this
    >> problem? Many thanks!

    > I agree with MP, go with Acronis. In the meantime, check the file
    > boot.ini in the root directory. Norton will change this when it needs to,
    > and perhaps when it doesn't.

    I've had Ghost 9 render the source drive of a PC non-bootable. Acronis
    does a good job fast. However I once had to clone a drive twice becauseof
    an error so nothing is perfect especially when working with NTFS.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Sep 5, 2006