Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hotister@hotmail.com, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi dear all:

    I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    that I selected (X means checked):

    X Check source for file system errors
    X Check destination for file system errors
    X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
    X Set drive active (for boothing OS)

    The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
    turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
    drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
    windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
    command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
    which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
    Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
    If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
    gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
    any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

    , Sep 5, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700, hotister Has Frothed:

    > Subject: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 4 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700
    >
    > Hi dear all:
    >
    > I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my old
    > 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options that I
    > selected (X means checked)

    Forget Ghost and use Acronis Migrate Easy 15 day free trial.

    http://tinyurl.com/k4pmk

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi dear all:
    >
    > I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    > old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    > that I selected (X means checked):
    >
    > X Check source for file system errors
    > X Check destination for file system errors
    > X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
    > X Set drive active (for boothing OS)
    >
    > The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
    > turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
    > drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
    > windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
    > command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
    > which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
    > Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
    > If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
    > gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
    > any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

    Because you cloned the IDE drive, it sounds to me like it is trying to
    use the IDE drivers to read the SATA disk as Windows starts up.

    Can XP see the SATA drive natively? i.e. If you perform an XP install on
    the SATA drive as the only drive in the system, will it install without
    any additional drivers?

    If it needs drivers, try doing a repair install on the SATA clone.
    Guessing here to be honest but no harm trying it.

    Failing that, run the files & settings transfer wizard on the IDE drive,
    do a fresh install on the SATA drive and run the wizard again on the
    SATA install to import your files & settings.

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:02:39 +0100, Desk Rabbit Has Frothed:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi dear all:
    >>
    >> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
    >> old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
    >> that I selected (X means checked):
    >>
    >> X Check source for file system errors X Check destination for file
    >> system errors X Resize drive to fill unallocated space X Set drive
    >> active (for boothing OS)
    >>
    >> The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD, turn
    >> off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only drive
    >> available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the windows
    >> XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or command line
    >> start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly, which I did),
    >> and if I select the "normal start", it will load the Windows XP Pro
    >> logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again. If I choose the
    >> command line (or safe mode), it will load up to gagp30kx.sys driver and
    >> then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for
    >> solving this problem? Many thanks!
    >>

    > Because you cloned the IDE drive, it sounds to me like it is trying to use
    > the IDE drivers to read the SATA disk as Windows starts up.
    >
    > Can XP see the SATA drive natively? i.e. If you perform an XP install on
    > the SATA drive as the only drive in the system, will it install without
    > any additional drivers?
    >
    > If it needs drivers, try doing a repair install on the SATA clone.
    > Guessing here to be honest but no harm trying it.
    >
    > Failing that, run the files & settings transfer wizard on the IDE drive,
    > do a fresh install on the SATA drive and run the wizard again on the SATA
    > install to import your files & settings.

    I did the same damn thing on my XP box. Cloned an IDE to SATA and it
    worked withgout any invertention. HOWEVER, the SATA controller was part of
    the MOBO and not an add on card. What the OP should do if this is the case
    is install the SATA controller on the IDE drive install in XP so he gets
    the driver in the HAL. I did this on a Win 2003 SBS and it worked
    flawlessly

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Jimmy Dean Guest

    Re: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another" <= Q re Acronis

    On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:29:16 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700, hotister Has Frothed:
    >
    >> Subject: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: 4 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700
    >>
    >> Hi dear all:
    >>
    >> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my old
    >> 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options that I
    >> selected (X means checked)

    >Forget Ghost and use Acronis Migrate Easy 15 day free trial.
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/k4pmk

    Sounds cool but does it run as a standalone utility like Ghost 2003 or
    does one have to install it on a HD and run it as a Windows app?

    Also, does it create hard-disk (disk or partition) image files (again
    like Ghost 2003)

    tia
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 6, 2006