    Ritter197 Guest

    Can I create an image with Norton Ghost 2001 prior to installing SP2 for
    Windows XP?

    Ritter197, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Ritter197

    User1 Guest

    Yes - Sounds like an excellent idea!

    I'd do all the usual cache and temp folder items delete and defrag first though.

    User1, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Ritter197

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Norton Ghost 2001 is not compatible with Windows XP. Upgrade to Ghost 2002,
    if you can find it. Ghost 2003 is much better.

    Beyond that, imaging your hard disk before any major upgrade is more than a
    good idea: It's a no-brainer.

    Cross-posting newsgroups is considered annoying under most circumstances.
    Pick one newgroup and post there.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Ritter197

    User1 Guest

    I do apologize - I completely missed the 2001 in your OP.

    User1, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Steer away from Ghost v9.0. I am reading too many horror stories related to this new
    version.

    Ghost 2003 is suggested however, there is a bug in Ghost Explorer from v2003 with WinXP SP2
    that is fixable but, Symantec has NOT released a public fix for it yet.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Sep 18, 2004
  6. >Steer away from Ghost v9.0. I am reading too many horror stories related to
    >this new version.

    >Ghost 2003 is suggested however, there is a bug in Ghost Explorer from
    >v2003 with WinXP SP2 that is fixable but, Symantec has NOT released a
    >public fix for it yet.

    I wonder what is going to happen with DriveImage, now that Symantec has borged
    PowerQuest.

    "We are Symantec! You will be assimilated!"
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    \Crash\ Dummy, Sep 18, 2004
  7. Ritter197

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Hi Dave:

    Glad I caught your post. I use Norton Ghost 2003 and I'm not aware of any
    "bug" regarding SP 2. In fact, I've used Ghost 2003 several times to make
    backups since installing SP 2, all without a hitch. What exactly is this
    bug?

    Also: Do you have a URL to any v.9 "horror stories"? The major PC magazines
    haven't had enough experience with v.9 to form an opinion, let alone report
    about "horror stories".

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Ritter197

    CS Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:37:09 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <>
    wrote:

    He said the "bug" was in Ghost Explorer, not the imaging itself.
    Ghost explorer allows one to look at and extract individual files from
    an image. Must be run from within Windows.

    CS, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Ritter197

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    No bug in my Ghost Explorer.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Hi Ted:

    The bug in Ghost Explorer is thus...

    The crash seems to occur when I open a GHO file and try select more than one directory to
    copy data out of the image. Selecting just one directory from the image and copying it then
    pasting it to the destination location does not crash Ghost Explorer. When I use Ghost
    Explorer, v7.0.0.245, and replicate the process, I have no problems selecting multiple
    directories then copying them and pasting them to their destination to location.

    The actual error message is "Norton Ghost Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
    close".

    So as I indicated, using Ghost Explorer from Enterprise Ghost v7 is a solution but, Symantec
    has yet to push this version via LiveUpdate.

    The following was received from Symantec...
    ~ ~ ~
    "David, Symantec is aware of this issue, and there is no solution at this time.
    We will continue to track this issue, and the knowledge base documents will be
    updated if new information becomes available or a solution is found. We apologize
    for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

    If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

    Regards

    <name obfuscated>
    Symantec Authorized Technical Support"
    ~ ~ ~

    Horror stories on Ghost v9.0 can be found in:
    symantec.customerservice.general

    Subjects:
    No powerdown with Ghost 9
    Ghost 9.0 download needs serial number to unlock...
    Ghost 9 Installation Problems
    Ghost 9 can't see my SATA hard drives!

    David H. Lipman, Sep 19, 2004
  11. Ritter197

    Guest

    >| "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    >| > Can I create an image with Norton Ghost 2001 prior to installing SP2 for
    >| > Windows XP?

    Use Acronis True Image 7 or 8.
    Computers are like air conditioning.
    Neither one works when you open windows.

    , Sep 20, 2004