    expect?

    (I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    julie j, Mar 3, 2007

  2. julie j

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On 3 Mar 2007 13:52:40 -0800, "julie j" <>
    wrote:

    >I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    >cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >
    >The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    >freeware.
    >
    >I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >found on my system,
    >
    >My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >
    >So far, it's very good.
    >
    >Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    >expect?
    >
    >(I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    >problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    I have used Avast at least 4 years now. Never had a virus as they are
    all stopped before being downloaded. It has even caaught a few new
    viruses that got through the Paradise filters before they updated
    showing they are quick to react to new attacks.

    The only hassle is reregistering every 14 months but a very small
    price to pay for such an good product.

    Bruce

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Mar 3, 2007

  3. On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:52:40 -0800, julie j wrote:

    > I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    > found on my system,

    LOL - the folly of relying on "anti virus" software.

    Do you also use MS IE and/or MS outlook/Outlook Express?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 4, 2007
  4. julie j

    Bobs Guest

    On Mar 4, 10:52 am, "julie j" <> wrote:
    > I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    > cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >
    > The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    > freeware.
    >
    > I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    > found on my system,
    >
    > My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >
    > So far, it's very good.
    >
    > Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    > expect?
    >
    > (I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    > problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    Nortons is bloated rubbish. Avast and AVG are much better, and they're
    both free.

    Bobs, Mar 4, 2007
  5. julie j

    Fred Guest

    "julie j" <> wrote in message
    >I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    > cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >
    > The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    > freeware.
    >
    > I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    > found on my system,
    >
    > My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >
    > So far, it's very good.
    >
    > Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    > expect?
    >
    > (I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    > problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    Of course not. There are no problems in the computer world. Only issues.

    Fred, Mar 4, 2007
  6. julie j

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    >cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >
    >The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    >freeware.
    >
    >I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >found on my system,
    >
    >My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >
    >So far, it's very good.
    >
    >Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    >expect?
    >
    >(I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    >problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    I have found Avast to throw up the occasional false positive on files
    I have had for years and know are OK. I have three AV progs
    installed, Avast, AVG and AntiVir. Use AVG in normal operations. AVG
    also has an AntiSpyware prog too, for XP.

    GraB, Mar 4, 2007
  7. julie j

    Colin B Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 4, 10:52 am, "julie j" <> wrote:
    >> I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    >> cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >>
    >> The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    >> freeware.
    >>
    >> I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >> found on my system,
    >>
    >> My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >>
    >> So far, it's very good.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    >> expect?
    >>
    >> (I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    >> problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    > Nortons is bloated rubbish. Avast and AVG are much better, and they're
    > both free.

    AVG is free, but although Avast says they give you a free download, they
    soon ask you for money. But if you can point me to a completely Avast free
    site that would be good.

    Colin B, Mar 5, 2007
  8. julie j

    Colin B Guest

    "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:52:40 -0800, julie j wrote:
    >
    >> I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >> found on my system,

    > LOL - the folly of relying on "anti virus" software.
    >
    > Do you also use MS IE and/or MS outlook/Outlook Express?

    So do you think it's better than AVG Free? Why wouldn't Norton have picked
    up the viruses, they wouldn't stay in business if all viruses on your
    computer weren't detected promptly. I don't think there have been widespread
    reports of Norton not detecting viruses?

    Colin B, Mar 5, 2007
  9. julie j

    Colin B Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On 3 Mar 2007 13:52:40 -0800, "julie j" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    >>cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >>
    >>The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    >>freeware.
    >>
    >>I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >>found on my system,
    >>
    >>My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >>
    >>So far, it's very good.
    >>
    >>Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    >>expect?
    >>
    >>(I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    >>problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    > I have found Avast to throw up the occasional false positive on files
    > I have had for years and know are OK. I have three AV progs
    > installed, Avast, AVG and AntiVir. Use AVG in normal operations. AVG
    > also has an AntiSpyware prog too, for XP.

    Why would it throw up a "false positive"? Do you have more than one virus
    program running at once, if so, wouldn't this slow your computer down?

    Colin B, Mar 5, 2007
  10. julie j

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Colin B" <Colin > wrote in news:45ebb627$:

    > Why would it throw up a "false positive"? Do you have more than one
    > virus program running at once, if so, wouldn't this slow your computer
    > down?

    I don't think the poster meant False Positive, but more likely aggressive
    flagging.
    Some utilities get flagged by some AV apps and some not.
    Here is an example:
    http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 5, 2007
  11. julie j

    Cima Guest

    On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:57:07 +1300, "Colin B" <Colin > wrote:

    >AVG is free, but although Avast says they give you a free download, they
    >soon ask you for money. But if you can point me to a completely Avast free
    >site that would be good.

    You must've got the trial version.

    Cima, Mar 5, 2007
  12. julie j

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:18:16 +1300, "Colin B" <Colin > wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> On 3 Mar 2007 13:52:40 -0800, "julie j" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    >>>cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.
    >>>
    >>>The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    >>>freeware.
    >>>
    >>>I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    >>>found on my system,
    >>>
    >>>My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.
    >>>
    >>>So far, it's very good.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    >>>expect?
    >>>
    >>>(I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    >>>problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    >> I have found Avast to throw up the occasional false positive on files
    >> I have had for years and know are OK. I have three AV progs
    >> installed, Avast, AVG and AntiVir. Use AVG in normal operations. AVG
    >> also has an AntiSpyware prog too, for XP.
    >>

    >Why would it throw up a "false positive"? Do you have more than one virus
    >program running at once, if so, wouldn't this slow your computer down?

    Why? ?? http://www.viruslist.com/en/glossary?glossid=153654932

    All AV progs throw up the occasional positive. I have had them with
    AVG and Nortons too, though it has been a long time since AVG did it.

    No, I only use AVG for normal operations.
    http://ask-leo.com/can_i_run_more_t...am_antispyware_program_firewall_should_i.html

    GraB, Mar 5, 2007
  13. julie j

    julie j Guest

    Colin B wrote:

    > AVG is free, but although Avast says they give you a free download, they
    > soon ask you for money. But if you can point me to a completely Avast free
    > site that would be good

    While I would have paid for it, nothing on the site said it was
    anything but free. I had to register it for 14 months with right of
    renewal.

    There are paid editions for business and commercial use.

    I am still in heaven at how much faster my computer works now Nortons
    is gone.

    julie j, Mar 5, 2007
  14. julie j

    Sir to you Guest

    On Mar 4, 5:57 pm, "Bobs" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 10:52 am, "julie j" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I got sick of the clunky Nortons. As it was coming up for renewal at a
    > > cost of more than $100, I decided to ditch it.

    > > The latest NetGuide recommended Avast!4 Home Edition as an excellent
    > > freeware.

    > > I loaded it, and on its first scan it picked up viruses Nortons hadn't
    > > found on my system,

    > > My PC also starts up in a fraction of the time it took with Nortons.

    > > So far, it's very good.

    > > Does anyone else used this, and if so, are there any problems I might
    > > expect?

    > > (I don't call the American male voice announcing he's found a virus a
    > > problem, yet, he's a rather cute feature).

    > Nortons is bloated rubbish. Avast and AVG are much better, and they're
    > both free.- Hide quoted text -

    AVG is not free - the avg website asks for money to download it. Am i
    right?

    Sir to you, Mar 5, 2007
  15. julie j

    Cima Guest

    Cima, Mar 5, 2007
  16. julie j

    Sir to you Guest

    On Mar 6, 8:50 am, Cima <> wrote:
    > On 5 Mar 2007 11:42:43 -0800, "Sir to you" <> wrote:

    > >> Nortons is bloated rubbish. Avast and AVG are much better, and they're
    > >> both free.- Hide quoted text -

    > >AVG is not free - the avg website asks for money to download it. Am i
    > >right?

    Sweet! Thanks.

    Sir to you, Mar 5, 2007