    pieces on the computer.

    Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.

    Keith

    Keith, Feb 13, 2004

  2. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:45:52 +1300, "Keith" <> wrote:

    >Hello group
    >
    >I was just wondering - all those new PC's I see in the stores seem to come
    >with Norton AV 2003. The ones on display in the stores definitely have the
    >software installed. Has anyone recently bought a new PC with Norton, and can
    >tell me if generally Norton AV 2003 is already loaded and installed, or if
    >it's on a separate CD and the user needs to install it? The reason for me
    >asking is that I would prefer not to use Norton, as I have an alternative
    >(NOD32) that I prefer. Of course, I could uninstall it, but would rather it
    >not be installed in the first place, to avoid having leftover bits and
    >pieces on the computer.
    >
    >Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Keith

    Bigest Virus out don't use it..

    Robin Wheeler, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Keith

    Tim Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in

    > Hello group
    >
    > I was just wondering - all those new PC's I see in the stores seem to
    > come with Norton AV 2003. The ones on display in the stores definitely
    > have the software installed. Has anyone recently bought a new PC with
    > Norton, and can tell me if generally Norton AV 2003 is already loaded
    > and installed, or if it's on a separate CD and the user needs to
    > install it? The reason for me asking is that I would prefer not to use
    > Norton, as I have an alternative (NOD32) that I prefer. Of course, I
    > could uninstall it, but would rather it not be installed in the first
    > place, to avoid having leftover bits and pieces on the computer.
    >
    > Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Keith

    The few new computers I have seen recently have had it preinstalled. It
    isn't usually as good a deal as it sounds - the preinstalled copies quite
    often only come with 3-6 months free updates.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Feb 14, 2004

  4. >
    >Bigest Virus out don't use it..

    Pull your head in. Over the years, on Average NAV has had the best detection
    rate of any AV (from independent testers)
    2004 is a bit bloated I would say.

    the 2003 that comes with new PC's probhably only has a 3 month subscription.
    After this you will have to pull out your credit card
    Not allways installed by default. You will see an icon for for it it its there ( or look in add
    remove programs)

    Steve Robertson, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Keith

    Edmond Lo Guest

    The HP and IBM PCs that they installed recently have had NAV preinstalled.
    However I need to run it the first time to finalize the installation.

    Edmond Lo, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Keith

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > Hello group
    >
    > I was just wondering - all those new PC's I see in the stores seem to come
    > with Norton AV 2003. The ones on display in the stores definitely have the
    > software installed. Has anyone recently bought a new PC with Norton, and

    can
    > tell me if generally Norton AV 2003 is already loaded and installed, or if
    > it's on a separate CD and the user needs to install it? The reason for me
    > asking is that I would prefer not to use Norton, as I have an alternative
    > (NOD32) that I prefer. Of course, I could uninstall it, but would rather

    it
    > not be installed in the first place, to avoid having leftover bits and
    > pieces on the computer.
    >
    > Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Keith

    You can of course uninstall it, if you are worried about "crap" it leaves in
    the registry etc, You can download Rnav2003 From the Nortons website that
    will remove it completely. Ideal for if you need to re-install to get
    another xx months subs ;-)

    Craig Sutton, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Keith

    rob Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "Keith" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hello group
    > >
    > > I was just wondering - all those new PC's I see in the stores seem to
    > > come with Norton AV 2003. The ones on display in the stores definitely
    > > have the software installed. Has anyone recently bought a new PC with
    > > Norton, and can tell me if generally Norton AV 2003 is already loaded
    > > and installed, or if it's on a separate CD and the user needs to
    > > install it? The reason for me asking is that I would prefer not to use
    > > Norton, as I have an alternative (NOD32) that I prefer. Of course, I
    > > could uninstall it, but would rather it not be installed in the first
    > > place, to avoid having leftover bits and pieces on the computer.
    > >
    > > Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Keith

    > The few new computers I have seen recently have had it preinstalled. It
    > isn't usually as good a deal as it sounds - the preinstalled copies quite
    > often only come with 3-6 months free updates.
    >

    > --
    > Tim
    > - <insert witty signature here>

    for oem versions.
    weasels!

    rob

    rob, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello group
    > >
    > > I was just wondering - all those new PC's I see in the stores seem to

    come
    > > with Norton AV 2003. The ones on display in the stores definitely have

    the
    > > software installed. Has anyone recently bought a new PC with Norton, and

    > can
    > > tell me if generally Norton AV 2003 is already loaded and installed, or

    if
    > > it's on a separate CD and the user needs to install it? The reason for

    me
    > > asking is that I would prefer not to use Norton, as I have an

    alternative
    > > (NOD32) that I prefer. Of course, I could uninstall it, but would rather

    > it
    > > not be installed in the first place, to avoid having leftover bits and
    > > pieces on the computer.
    > >
    > > Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Keith
    > >

    > You can of course uninstall it, if you are worried about "crap" it leaves

    in
    > the registry etc, You can download Rnav2003 From the Nortons website that
    > will remove it completely. Ideal for if you need to re-install to get
    > another xx months subs ;-)

    I saw that removal utility on their website, though they say the best
    approach is to use the Windows Add/Remove Programs, and that this utility
    should only be used if uninstall won't work. If this utility removes NAV
    completely, why don't they prefer this method?

    Keith, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Keith

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in news:c0k7t8$18gnuq$1@ID-
    160257.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > If this utility removes NAV
    > completely, why don't they prefer this method?

    Because the add remove method leaves some registry keys behind that disable
    you from getting a "fresh" trial; the utility is there because some other
    suites from symantec, like sytem works, hook so deeply into the operating
    system that when you remove them, they do not shut down properly and remove
    completely, causing problems when you try to upgrade them to the latest
    versions.
    I like Symantec Ghost and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, I take a
    pass on the other stuff.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 14, 2004

  10. >
    >I saw that removal utility on their website, though they say the best
    >approach is to use the Windows Add/Remove Programs, and that this utility
    >should only be used if uninstall won't work. If this utility removes NAV
    >completely, why don't they prefer this method?

    probhably because your other Symantec programs may stop working.
    But the real reason is that your subscription may get wiped (on some versions)
    Delete the Symantec, Norton & common files??/symantec
    Reinstall NAV & you got another 12 months

    Steve Robertson, Feb 14, 2004
  11. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:29:50 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > I like Symantec Ghost and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, I take a
    > pass on the other stuff.

    ITYM "piss"

    Anyway, if you're going to fork out for NAV corporate, you should take a
    close look at Sophos instead.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 14, 2004
  12. Keith

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:52:11 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:29:50 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> I like Symantec Ghost and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, I take a
    >> pass on the other stuff.

    >ITYM "piss"
    >
    >Anyway, if you're going to fork out for NAV corporate, you should take a
    >close look at Sophos instead.

    Also Panda

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Feb 14, 2004