Norton AV 2005 - ye gods

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
    Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
    sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
    second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
    just in case.

    Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
    couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
    insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
    a solution and fix, not to mention pissing my wife off since she
    couldn't send or receive mail any more.
    Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
    from CD.
    Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
    filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
    crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
    through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
    entirely. VERY annoying.

    Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
    principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
    Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
    software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
    after this.

    I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
    and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...

    :-(
    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    Neil Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
    > Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
    > sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
    > second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
    > just in case.
    >
    > Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
    > couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
    > insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
    > a solution and fix, not to mention pissing my wife off since she
    > couldn't send or receive mail any more.
    > Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
    > from CD.
    > Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
    > filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
    > crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
    > through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
    > entirely. VERY annoying.
    >
    > Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
    > principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
    > Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
    > software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
    > after this.
    >
    > I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
    > and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
    >
    > :-(
    > -Peter

    Yer forget about viruses anything that pisses the wife off is NOT GOOD
    (I Know all to well)

    Neil

    Neil, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    ardz Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
    > > Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
    > > sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
    > > second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
    > > just in case.
    > >
    > > Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
    > > couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
    > > insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
    > > a solution and fix, not to mention pissing my wife off since she
    > > couldn't send or receive mail any more.
    > > Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
    > > from CD.
    > > Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
    > > filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
    > > crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
    > > through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
    > > entirely. VERY annoying.
    > >
    > > Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
    > > principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
    > > Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
    > > software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
    > > after this.
    > >
    > > I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
    > > and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
    > >
    > > :-(
    > > -Peter

    > Yer forget about viruses anything that pisses the wife off is NOT GOOD
    > (I Know all to well)
    >
    > Neil

    I had NAV2002 installed on my PC and my 12 monthly renewel was due. I
    decided what the heck ill go online and upgrade to the 2005 version. Firstly
    Norton advises after the download that you have to remove NAV2002 via
    add/remove programs before NAV2005 can be loaded...WTF. Using the Add/remove
    process and rebooting my PC was the start of my problems. I ended up having
    to manually delete the remnants of NAV2002 as it kept saying that i couldnt
    load NAV2005 as you havent deleted NAV2002 WTF. After about 4 reboots it
    finally allowed me to load NAV2005 and it seems to be working ok. What a
    bloody hassle and i might just have to go to another piece of AV software
    once my 12 months is up. Id hate to see what deleting NAV2005 would be like.

    ardz, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    JohnO Guest

    I ditched NAV and installed free AVG - never had a problem with it.

    JohnO, Jul 19, 2005
  5. "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
    > Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
    > sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
    > second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
    > just in case.
    >
    > Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
    > couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
    > insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
    > a solution and fix, not to mention pissing my wife off since she
    > couldn't send or receive mail any more.
    > Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
    > from CD.
    > Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
    > filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
    > crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
    > through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
    > entirely. VERY annoying.
    >
    > Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
    > principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
    > Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
    > software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
    > after this.
    >
    > I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
    > and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
    >
    > :-(
    > -Peter

    What was your wife doing outside of the kitchen anyway?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Peter Huebner

    Geoff M Guest

    Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot, and
    IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up a couple
    of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a pain to
    install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen. All very
    annoying when you have paid good money for it.
    Geoff

    Geoff M, Jul 19, 2005
  7. In article <LxZCe.1580$>,
    says...

    > What was your wife doing outside of the kitchen anyway?

    You got that back to front. Ever wondered why nearly all the foremost
    chefs in the world are men? *I* do the cooking around here ;-)

    -P.

    (Actually, she's a bloody good cook, too, but nevertheless ...)

    Peter Huebner, Jul 19, 2005
  8. "Geoff M" <> wrote in message
    > Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot, and
    > IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up a couple
    > of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a pain to
    > install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen. All very
    > annoying when you have paid good money for it.
    > Geoff

    i got the malaysian helpdesk i think.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    MarkH Guest

    Geoff M <> wrote in

    > Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot,
    > and IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up
    > a couple of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a
    > pain to install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen.
    > All very annoying when you have paid good money for it.
    > Geoff

    I used to like Norton AV. But I am a technician and see too many PCs
    failing due to Norton 2005. I also think very little of the automatic
    updating (Live Update) which only updates the AV signature weekly (or is it
    weakly).

    I am currently using Kaspersky, which updates several times a day.
    Kaspersky took care of a Trojan for me last year, 2 months later an up-to-
    date Norton AV still wouldn't detect that Trojan.

    I used to recommend Norton to customers, now I would rather recommend AVG7.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)

    MarkH, Jul 19, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >Ever wondered why nearly all the foremost chefs in the world are men?

    Nearly all the foremost _anything_ in the world are men.

    I read a comment somewhere that the achievement norm for men in most
    areas isn't that different from those for women, it's just that men show
    greater variation from the norm. That is, not only do you get greater
    overachievers among men, you also get greater underachievers--losers,
    dropouts, failures, social outcasts, criminals, drug addicts. The "glass
    ceiling" has a flipside: the "glass floor".

    Thus, there are two ways to get more outstanding female achievers:
    either increase the overall norm for females to greater than that for
    males, or be prepared to put up with more female losers.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005