    Rather than increase my blood pressure by further dealing with these big
    time scum, I finally broke the Norton (bad) habit and installed a different
    anti-virus. I this company joins AOL in the dust bin of Internet history.

    Billybong, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Billybong

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Billybong" <> wrote in message
    news:1HEJi.207$...
    > These creeps not only "locked" me out from using their crummy product when
    > I tried to reinstall it on my new computer, when I called customer support
    > (in India of course) they told me there was nothing they could do. They
    > refused to give me the phone number of Symantec in the U.S. I found it
    > anyway, called, and they told me I would have to "fax" them about the
    > problem!!!!
    >
    > Rather than increase my blood pressure by further dealing with these big
    > time scum, I finally broke the Norton (bad) habit and installed a
    > different anti-virus. I this company joins AOL in the dust bin of Internet
    > history.

    I have used AVG for several years now with 0 trouble. I used McAfee for a
    couple years, had the same problem you did. Finally had to cancel. Then for
    3 years after, one time a year I had to do a charge back on my credit card
    as they kept trying to charge me. I tried Norton, it was a download.
    Something did not go right, the "support" was impossible to deal with as I
    could not understand them. Finally had to do a charge back on Symantec as
    E-mailing them did nothing. Have used AVG and Zone Alarm ever since and it's
    been great.
    --
    Mandatory drug screens are great. I think all people who ask for welfare
    should have to pass one.

    Alex Clayton, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Billybong

    Robert Baer Guest

    Alex Clayton wrote:

    > "Billybong" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>These creeps not only "locked" me out from using their crummy product when
    >>I tried to reinstall it on my new computer, when I called customer support
    >>(in India of course) they told me there was nothing they could do. They
    >>refused to give me the phone number of Symantec in the U.S. I found it
    >>anyway, called, and they told me I would have to "fax" them about the
    >>problem!!!!
    >>
    >>Rather than increase my blood pressure by further dealing with these big
    >>time scum, I finally broke the Norton (bad) habit and installed a
    >>different anti-virus. I this company joins AOL in the dust bin of Internet
    >>history.
    >>

    > I have used AVG for several years now with 0 trouble. I used McAfee for a
    > couple years, had the same problem you did. Finally had to cancel. Then for
    > 3 years after, one time a year I had to do a charge back on my credit card
    > as they kept trying to charge me. I tried Norton, it was a download.
    > Something did not go right, the "support" was impossible to deal with as I
    > could not understand them. Finally had to do a charge back on Symantec as
    > E-mailing them did nothing. Have used AVG and Zone Alarm ever since and it's
    > been great.

    Definitely AVG is super.
    As i am on dial-up it was the only antivirus program i could
    reasonably download with any reliability.
    It never gives sass, it always does what it is supposed to do, and it
    installed perfectly and as a result i have never had to try customer
    support.
    Norton/Symantec has been a shit company for well over three years; i
    had similar problems getting their software to work as advertised after
    installing from their CD.
    I returned the CD and packaging for a refund and continued to use the
    software for three years free by using their so-called intelligent
    updater (manual update) and re-installing when the countdown got near zero.
    Could have done that forever, but the damn update file got too big
    for dialup.
    *RIPPED* the POS out and installed AVG, and now have peace of mind.
    **
    As far as a company using your credit card after you clearly told
    them you no longer wanted their crap, that is considered credit card
    fraud and bank fraud - both a Federal offence; may be worth a few
    thousand dollars...check it out.
    At worst, you can sue in small claims court, where lawyers are banned.

    Robert Baer, Sep 24, 2007
  4. Billybong

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <1HEJi.207$>, Billybong
    <> scribeth thus
    >These creeps not only "locked" me out from using their crummy product when I
    >tried to reinstall it on my new computer, when I called customer support (in
    >India of course) they told me there was nothing they could do. They refused
    >to give me the phone number of Symantec in the U.S. I found it anyway,
    >called, and they told me I would have to "fax" them about the problem!!!!
    >
    >Rather than increase my blood pressure by further dealing with these big
    >time scum, I finally broke the Norton (bad) habit and installed a different
    >anti-virus. I this company joins AOL in the dust bin of Internet history.

    AVG any time for me:)

    Don't know why people persist with the others?...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Billybong

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Alex Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >> I have used AVG for several years now with 0 trouble. I used McAfee for a
    >> couple years, had the same problem you did. Finally had to cancel. Then
    >> for 3 years after, one time a year I had to do a charge back on my credit
    >> card as they kept trying to charge me. I tried Norton, it was a download.
    >> Something did not go right, the "support" was impossible to deal with as
    >> I could not understand them. Finally had to do a charge back on Symantec
    >> as E-mailing them did nothing. Have used AVG and Zone Alarm ever since
    >> and it's been great.

    > Definitely AVG is super.
    > As i am on dial-up it was the only antivirus program i could reasonably
    > download with any reliability.
    > It never gives sass, it always does what it is supposed to do, and it
    > installed perfectly and as a result i have never had to try customer
    > support.
    > Norton/Symantec has been a shit company for well over three years; i had
    > similar problems getting their software to work as advertised after
    > installing from their CD.
    > I returned the CD and packaging for a refund and continued to use the
    > software for three years free by using their so-called intelligent updater
    > (manual update) and re-installing when the countdown got near zero.
    > Could have done that forever, but the damn update file got too big for
    > dialup.
    > *RIPPED* the POS out and installed AVG, and now have peace of mind.
    > **
    > As far as a company using your credit card after you clearly told them
    > you no longer wanted their crap, that is considered credit card fraud and
    > bank fraud - both a Federal offence; may be worth a few thousand
    > dollars...check it out.
    > At worst, you can sue in small claims court, where lawyers are banned.

    The last time I had to do a charge back the bank said if they tried to
    charge the card again they would enter it as fraud since by now the CO has
    to know. It does not cost me anything to do the charge back, but it does
    cost McAfee each time so I never cared much. The first time they did it I
    "tried" to deal with it myself with E-mail and phone and it was impossible,
    so I finally called the bank. Now the last couple times I just called the
    bank right off. Told them I did not feel like going through their "support"
    again, they just take the charge off the card and charge the merchant.
    Eventually either they will quite trying, or the card expiration date will
    change and they will not be able to I guess. It left me really glad I found
    AVG after dealing with both of these others.
    --
    Gun Control:
    Making the world safe for Thieves, Rapists, and murderers since 1968.

    Alex Clayton, Sep 24, 2007
  6. Billybong

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > AVG any time for me:)
    >
    > Don't know why people persist with the others?...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    I know with "me" it was because when I got my first PC in 2000, I did not
    "know any better". I had heard all the horror stories about viruses and knew
    I should have protection. The first machine came with McAfee, so I paid
    them, then kept using them till the first big trouble showed up and I could
    not get someone who could speak English to help. I had no idea that for
    years I could have been using AVG till someone at work I think it was, told
    me about it. Been damn glad I found them since. <G>

    Alex Clayton, Sep 24, 2007
  7. Which version of AVG ? The paying one? I mean the one you have to buy?

    Comcast Newsgroups, Sep 27, 2007
  8. Billybong

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Comcast Newsgroups" <> wrote in message
    > Which version of AVG ? The paying one? I mean the one you have to buy?

    I use the free version at home.
    --
    911 = Dial a prayer.
    1911 = Real protection

    Alex Clayton, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Billybong

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Comcast
    Newsgroups <> scribeth thus
    >Which version of AVG ? The paying one? I mean the one you have to buy?

    The either free one, the paid for one isn't that expensive...

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Sep 27, 2007
  10. Billybong

    jdl Guest

    I have a hard time understanding what the Indian support people are
    saying. They speak so softly and so heavily accented. The combination
    of speaking softly and the thick accent makes them almost impossible to
    understand over a phone line.

    I'd rather have live chat support from them, than a phone conversation.

    jdl, Sep 27, 2007
  11. Billybong

    Billybong Guest

    Another phony thing that annoys me is how they use American sounding phony
    names
    to try to hide that they are in India. I told one of them that I talked to
    that Veronica is
    an unusual Indian name. She sounded embarassed. No doubt she was told to do
    so
    by her nasty Symantec bosses.

    I might try AVG although now I am doing a 30 day test of Trend Micro
    antivirus.

    Billybong, Sep 29, 2007
  12. Billybong

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Billybong" <> wrote in message
    > Another phony thing that annoys me is how they use American sounding phony
    > names
    > to try to hide that they are in India. I told one of them that I talked to
    > that Veronica is
    > an unusual Indian name. She sounded embarassed. No doubt she was told to
    > do so
    > by her nasty Symantec bosses.
    >
    > I might try AVG although now I am doing a 30 day test of Trend Micro
    > antivirus.

    It's unfortunately not just Symantec using people in India for "support".
    It's very common now. They always assign some name to each operator that is
    obviously not theirs. Most people would never be able to pronounce the real
    name. When I got my new Dell PC I had to call them to figure something out
    and it was obviously India. The guy fixed the trouble but I did have one
    hell of a time understanding him. Such is life. The next time I had a
    question that was not real important I e-mailed them. Got a prompt response
    and in writing it's MUCH easier to follow what they are trying to tell you.

    Alex Clayton, Sep 29, 2007
  13. Billybong

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <%LhLi.29987$>, Billybong
    <> scribeth thus
    >Another phony thing that annoys me is how they use American sounding phony
    >names
    >to try to hide that they are in India. I told one of them that I talked to
    >that Veronica is
    >an unusual Indian name. She sounded embarassed. No doubt she was told to do
    >so
    >by her nasty Symantec bosses.
    >
    >I might try AVG

    Don't "might" just do it!....