Norton Antivirus is a SCAM

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Anonymous, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    My parents got a new computer, and I
    apparently damaged the Norton (symantec)
    antivirus program. While trying to reinstall
    I spoke with their call center three times,
    and I was unable to enter the key code they
    had in a new downloaded program. So I had
    to get the new updated version for year 2007.
    Because my mom insisted upon it.

    I wrote a detailed letter to the President of
    Symantec and never received a reply. I guess
    I should write the board members and let them
    know how f-ed up their authenication system
    is. I had a valid key code that I had downloaded
    FROM THE NORTON WEBSITE but the program
    said it was only valid for the fifteen day trial.

    Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing
    program from Mom's computer and buy her
    a year's worth of AVG..

    My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there
    is NO competent customer support. I
    could never understand what the
    f-ing Pakis were saying from their
    f-ing indian call center.

    Try AVG antivirus http://www.grisoft.com/
    They even have a free version. Do NOT
    USE NORTON, it slows your computer
    down terribly.

    A Pissed Off Customer

    Gitmo is a war crime.

    Anonymous, Feb 1, 2007

  2. Anonymous

    Leythos Guest

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:37:38 +0100, Anonymous wrote:

    > Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing
    > program from Mom's computer and buy her
    > a year's worth of AVG..
    >
    > My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there
    > is NO competent customer support. I
    > could never understand what the
    > f-ing Pakis were saying from their
    > f-ing indian call center.
    >
    > Try AVG antivirus http://www.grisoft.com/
    > They even have a free version. Do NOT
    > USE NORTON, it slows your computer
    > down terribly.
    >
    > A Pissed Off Customer
    >
    > Gitmo is a war crime.

    You sound like a bitter non-technical wanna be. And gitmo is the reason
    you're free to make that statement.

    *** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm
    All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

    Leythos, Feb 1, 2007

  3. Anonymous

    Admins Guest

    On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:37:38 +0100 (CET), Anonymous wrote:

    > My parents got a new computer, and I
    > apparently damaged the Norton (symantec)
    > antivirus program. While trying to reinstall
    > I spoke with their call center three times,
    > and I was unable to enter the key code they
    > had in a new downloaded program. So I had
    > to get the new updated version for year 2007.
    > Because my mom insisted upon it.
    >
    > I wrote a detailed letter to the President of
    > Symantec and never received a reply. I guess
    > I should write the board members and let them
    > know how f-ed up their authenication system
    > is. I had a valid key code that I had downloaded
    > FROM THE NORTON WEBSITE but the program
    > said it was only valid for the fifteen day trial.
    >
    > Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing
    > program from Mom's computer and buy her
    > a year's worth of AVG..
    >
    > My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there
    > is NO competent customer support. I
    > could never understand what the
    > f-ing Pakis were saying from their
    > f-ing indian call center.
    >
    > Try AVG antivirus http://www.grisoft.com/
    > They even have a free version. Do NOT
    > USE NORTON, it slows your computer
    > down terribly.
    >
    > A Pissed Off Customer
    >
    > Gitmo is a war crime.

    Norton is a memory hog, try Anti-Vir, it's free and has a higher detection
    rating than AVG or Norton. It's in our software section,

    Regards
    --
    Admin

    * www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
    * Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels

    Admins, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Anonymous

    Todd H. Guest

    Anonymous <> writes:

    > My parents got a new computer, and I
    > apparently damaged the Norton (symantec)
    > antivirus program.

    Way to go!

    > While trying to reinstall I spoke with their call center three
    > times, and I was unable to enter the key code they had in a new
    > downloaded program. So I had to get the new updated version for
    > year 2007. Because my mom insisted upon it.

    Good for her for insisting on some sort of working AV

    > I wrote a detailed letter to the President of Symantec and never
    > received a reply.

    Shocking.

    > I guess I should write the board members and let them know how f-ed
    > up their authenication system is.

    It is an utter PITA, for sure.

    > Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing program from Mom's
    > computer and buy her a year's worth of AVG..

    Or better, Avast. Or NOD32. Or kaspersky.

    > My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there is NO competent customer
    > support. I could never understand what the f-ing Pakis were saying
    > from their f-ing indian call center.

    What were Pakistanis doing in their call center in India? You are
    aware those are 2 separate countries right?

    > Gitmo is a war crime.

    Did you learn your persuasiveness there?

    In the event you're serious about all this, and aren't just trolling,
    I'd say you're about 14 year old suburban white kid who needs to calm
    down a bit, and that your frustrations with Norton crap are shared by
    thousands of former customers who've simply voted with their feet to
    purchase other products.

    AVG isn't a terribly effective AV as things go. It's heuristic tests
    appear to lag the competition on unknown malware per teh testing at
    av-comparatives.org

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 1, 2007
  5. Anonymous

    Jason Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:37:38 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing
    >> program from Mom's computer and buy her
    >> a year's worth of AVG..
    >>
    >> My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there
    >> is NO competent customer support. I
    >> could never understand what the
    >> f-ing Pakis were saying from their
    >> f-ing indian call center.
    >>
    >> Try AVG antivirus http://www.grisoft.com/
    >> They even have a free version. Do NOT
    >> USE NORTON, it slows your computer
    >> down terribly.
    >>
    >> A Pissed Off Customer
    >>
    >> Gitmo is a war crime.

    > You sound like a bitter non-technical wanna be. And gitmo is the reason
    > you're free to make that statement.

    Gitmo has nothing to do with freedom its the exact opposite actually.

    Definitely nailed it on the first part though, sounds like some red neck
    cant figure out how to run thier software.

    Jason, Feb 1, 2007
  6. Anonymous

    James Egan Guest

    On 01 Feb 2007 12:20:35 -0600, (Todd H.) wrote:

    >What were Pakistanis doing in their call center in India? You are
    >aware those are 2 separate countries right?

    usa has their own indians to go with their cowboys, so I don't see why
    india can't have some of there own pakistanis.

    Jim. :)

    James Egan, Feb 1, 2007
  7. Anonymous

    James Egan Guest

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:22:05 -0400, Jason <> wrote:

    >Gitmo has nothing to do with freedom

    So what's he been up to since he stopped posting to acv?

    Jim :)
    ..

    James Egan, Feb 1, 2007
  8. 14 is too old for this kid. Maybe 10.

    Hank Sniadoch, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Anonymous

    Wilf Guest

    Todd H. wrote:

    >> Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing program from Mom's
    >> computer and buy her a year's worth of AVG..

    > Or better, Avast. Or NOD32. Or kaspersky.

    Naa - all these are foreign companies, you don't want to touch them. So
    is Grisoft. Find a nice 'Merkin company and use them, you'll be
    happier, really. ;-)

    --
    Wilf

    Wilf, Feb 2, 2007
  10. "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > My parents got a new computer, and I
    > apparently damaged the Norton (symantec)
    > antivirus program. While trying to reinstall
    > I spoke with their call center three times,
    > and I was unable to enter the key code they
    > had in a new downloaded program. So I had
    > to get the new updated version for year 2007.
    > Because my mom insisted upon it.
    >
    > I wrote a detailed letter to the President of
    > Symantec and never received a reply. I guess
    > I should write the board members and let them
    > know how f-ed up their authenication system
    > is. I had a valid key code that I had downloaded
    > FROM THE NORTON WEBSITE but the program
    > said it was only valid for the fifteen day trial.
    >
    > Next time I am home, I'm gonna delete the f-ing
    > program from Mom's computer and buy her
    > a year's worth of AVG..
    >
    > My advice: Do NOT buy Norton, there
    > is NO competent customer support. I
    > could never understand what the
    > f-ing Pakis were saying from their
    > f-ing indian call center.
    >
    > Try AVG antivirus http://www.grisoft.com/
    > They even have a free version. Do NOT
    > USE NORTON, it slows your computer
    > down terribly.
    >
    > A Pissed Off Customer
    >
    > Gitmo is a war crime.

    Nah. The real SCAM is when you renew your annual NAV update license.

    NAV starts warning you 30 days in advance and the renewal is one year
    from the date you process the renewal. For example if your current
    license would expire on April 30th but you renew on April 1st, your new
    license expires on April 2nd of next year and you effectively paid
    double for April 1 thru 30 of this year!

    --
    James T. White

    James T. White, Feb 2, 2007
  11. Anonymous

    Virus Guy Guest

    "James T. White" wrote:

    > The real SCAM is when you renew your annual NAV update license.

    The scam's on you pal.

    There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV version
    2002. You just un-install then re-install the product to get another
    year of updates.

    Virus Guy, Feb 2, 2007
  12. Anonymous

    AwPhuch Guest

    Virus Guy <> wrote in news::

    > The scam's on you pal.
    >
    > There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV version
    > 2002. You just un-install then re-install the product to get another
    > year of updates.

    How effective would a 5 year old antivirus solution be without engine
    updates? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports the
    2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats. I know the tech
    support has ended for sure as per their support site.

    --

    Back to your bridge Troll! You have no powers here!

    AwPhuch, Feb 3, 2007
  13. Anonymous

    Virus Guy Guest

    AwPhuch wrote:

    > > There's no need to pay Symantec to renew NAV if you use NAV
    > > version 2002. You just un-install then re-install the product
    > > to get another year of updates.

    > How effective would a 5 year old antivirus solution be without
    > engine updates?

    Engine updates automatically accompany definition templates when
    necessary. Find this thread:

    *******************
    Subject: Re: McAfee or Norton on New Notebook?
    Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:32:30 -0400
    From: kurt wismer <>
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.virus

    Virus Guy wrote:
    [snip]
    > NAVENG32.DLL AV Engine 20051.01.0000.0012
    > navex32a.dll AV Engine 20051.01.0000.0012

    ok, i'm now reasonably convinced nav2002 currently can be updated
    to the latest engine...
    *********************

    > Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports
    > the 2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats.
    > I know the tech support has ended for sure as per their support
    > site.

    What Norton/Symantec says, and what the reality is, are two different
    things.

    A fully updated (Win-98) system running NAV 2002 will have these:

    navex32a.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV Engine Jan 31, 2007
    naveng32.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV engine Jan 31, 2007

    Process Explorer confirms that those files are in use during a NAV
    2002 scanning process.

    Virus Guy, Feb 3, 2007
  14. Anonymous

    AwPhuch Guest

    Virus Guy <> wrote in news::

    >> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Symantec supports
    >> the 2K2 any longer with application updates- only with dats.
    >> I know the tech support has ended for sure as per their support
    >> site.

    > What Norton/Symantec says, and what the reality is, are two different
    > things.
    >
    > A fully updated (Win-98) system running NAV 2002 will have these:
    >
    > navex32a.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV Engine Jan 31, 2007
    > naveng32.dll 20071.1.1.10 AV engine Jan 31, 2007
    >
    > Process Explorer confirms that those files are in use during a NAV
    > 2002 scanning process.

    OK, thanks for clearing that up. I haven't dealt with Symantec for some
    time, I thought I had read that after the 2K5 release that 2K2 would no
    longer be supported for updates to the application itself. Memo to me....

    Thanks!

    --

    Back to your bridge Troll! You have no powers here!

    AwPhuch, Feb 3, 2007