Norton Antivirus 2003 Config issue?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Idris Alooma, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Idris Alooma

    Idris Alooma Guest

    My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    click "finished" no more email downloads.

    This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    a few viruses a week.

    Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.



    Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.

    I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    it work without any intervention from me.

    FYF
     
    Idris Alooma, Sep 28, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Idris Alooma

    Jammer Guest

    Which e-mail program are you using?

    Idris Alooma wrote:
    > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one.
    > Until I click "finished" no more email downloads.
    >
    > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more
    > than a few viruses a week.
    >
    > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends
    > to fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    >
    >
    >
    > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    >
    > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it
    > does it work without any intervention from me.
    >
    > FYF
     
    Jammer, Sep 28, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Configure, File System Real Time Protection, Options, Display Message on
    Infected Computer, uncheck.

    That will supress the messages and you can still look at the virus log
    (Histories, Virus History).

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Idris Alooma wrote:
    >
    > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    > click "finished" no more email downloads.
    >
    > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    > a few viruses a week.
    >
    > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    > fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    >
    > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    >
    > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    > it work without any intervention from me.
    >
    > FYF
     
    Steve Freides, Sep 29, 2003
    #3
  4. Idris Alooma

    Idris Alooma Guest

    In article <yDHdb.1123$>,
    says...
    > Which e-mail program are you using?
    >
    > Idris Alooma wrote:
    > > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one.
    > > Until I click "finished" no more email downloads.
    > >
    > > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more
    > > than a few viruses a week.
    > >
    > > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends
    > > to fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it
    > > does it work without any intervention from me.
    > >
    > > FYF

    >
    >
    >

    I'm using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
     
    Idris Alooma, Sep 29, 2003
    #4
  5. Idris Alooma

    Idris Alooma Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Configure, File System Real Time Protection, Options, Display Message on
    > Infected Computer, uncheck.
    >
    > That will supress the messages and you can still look at the virus log
    > (Histories, Virus History).
    >
    > -S-
    > http://www.kbnj.com
    >
    > Idris Alooma wrote:
    > >
    > > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    > > click "finished" no more email downloads.
    > >
    > > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    > > a few viruses a week.
    > >
    > > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    > > fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    > > it work without any intervention from me.
    > >
    > > FYF

    >

    Configure what...? NAV, the email program, the registry??
     
    Idris Alooma, Sep 29, 2003
    #5
  6. Your anti-virus program is what's displaying the message - that's what
    you need to configure. Norton/Symantec Anti-Virus has a Configure item
    on the menus, which is where I started you. Follow my instructions and
    you will no longer have your emails interrupted when a virus is
    detected.

    -S-

    Idris Alooma wrote:
    >
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Configure, File System Real Time Protection, Options, Display Message on
    > > Infected Computer, uncheck.
    > >
    > > That will supress the messages and you can still look at the virus log
    > > (Histories, Virus History).
    > >
    > > -S-
    > > http://www.kbnj.com
    > >
    > > Idris Alooma wrote:
    > > >
    > > > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > > > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    > > > click "finished" no more email downloads.
    > > >
    > > > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    > > > a few viruses a week.
    > > >
    > > > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > > > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    > > > fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > > > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > > > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    > > >
    > > > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    > > > it work without any intervention from me.
    > > >
    > > > FYF

    > >

    > Configure what...? NAV, the email program, the registry??
     
    Steve Freides, Sep 29, 2003
    #6
  7. Idris Alooma

    Idris Alooma Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Configure, File System Real Time Protection, Options, Display Message on
    > Infected Computer, uncheck.
    >
    > That will supress the messages and you can still look at the virus log
    > (Histories, Virus History).
    >
    > -S-
    > http://www.kbnj.com
    >
    > Idris Alooma wrote:
    > >
    > > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    > > click "finished" no more email downloads.
    > >
    > > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    > > a few viruses a week.
    > >
    > > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    > > fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    > > it work without any intervention from me.
    > >
    > > FYF

    >

    Ok thanks Steve, I finally got it set correctly. the wording was a
    little different from what you said.

    Actually I had to click on "Options-Internet-Email-repair, or delete
    silently".

    Once I did that the notifications stopped coming.

    All goes well!
     
    Idris Alooma, Sep 29, 2003
    #7
  8. You must have a different edition/version, but as you say, all's well
    that ends well.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Idris Alooma wrote:
    >
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Configure, File System Real Time Protection, Options, Display Message on
    > > Infected Computer, uncheck.
    > >
    > > That will supress the messages and you can still look at the virus log
    > > (Histories, Virus History).
    > >
    > > -S-
    > > http://www.kbnj.com
    > >
    > > Idris Alooma wrote:
    > > >
    > > > My NAV is set so that any time it sees a virus, it stops downloading
    > > > email and puts up a message informing me that it has caught one. Until I
    > > > click "finished" no more email downloads.
    > > >
    > > > This worked fine up until this year because I wasn't receiving more than
    > > > a few viruses a week.
    > > >
    > > > Now however I get over 500 messages a day,a nd with viruses and worms
    > > > proliferating this is not working for me. My mail box at my ISP tends to
    > > > fill up quickly when I am away from the computer a few hours.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to set NAV 2003 so that it just deletes the viruses and
    > > > keeps trucking? I really don't need to know what the virus is any more
    > > > as I have pretty much seen all of them that are going around.
    > > >
    > > > I would appreciate someone advising me on how to set NAV so that it does
    > > > it work without any intervention from me.
    > > >
    > > > FYF

    > >

    > Ok thanks Steve, I finally got it set correctly. the wording was a
    > little different from what you said.
    >
    > Actually I had to click on "Options-Internet-Email-repair, or delete
    > silently".
    >
    > Once I did that the notifications stopped coming.
    >
    > All goes well!
     
    Steve Freides, Sep 29, 2003
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tim

    Sophos AntiVirus Vs Norton AntiVirus

    Tim, Aug 16, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    10,444
    Robert de Brus
    Aug 17, 2003
  2. Nicole Kidman
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,131
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Aug 16, 2003
  3. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    813
    optikl
    Jul 26, 2005
  4. alexander rickert

    symantec: norton antivirus versus norton antivirus corporate

    alexander rickert, Nov 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,208
    James Baber
    Nov 3, 2004
  5. - Bobb -

    Norton Systemswork / Norton Antivirus question

    - Bobb -, Dec 4, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    497
    Sjouke Burry
    Dec 4, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page