Norton Antispam Chokes Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SNTP, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    When I start my computer in the morning, I have over 100 messages waiting
    for me at the POP3 mail server of my ISP. Spam makes up 95% of that volume.
    Downloading of the messages usually stops at some point. I can see an
    envelope in the right bottom corner of the screen indicating that download
    has not been completed, but nothing happening. If I reboot the computer and
    try download again, it stops again at exactly the same point. Messages, that
    have already been downloaded, are not deleted from ISP mail server. If I
    disable Antispam, download completes without a glitch. I have already
    deleted from OE all the filters and mail rules, but it would not help.
    During the day, when the computer and Antispam is on, the problem never
    occurs. The problem only appears when I turn on OE after a few hours off.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

    TIA

    SNTP

    SNTP, Feb 9, 2004

  2. SNTP

    °Mike° Guest

    Use Magic Mail Monitor, and delete all of the
    spam directly from your server. You only need
    to fire up OE when you want to download the
    real mail.

    Magic Mail Monitor (freeware)
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:28:10 -0500, in
    <40270ce2$>
    SNTP scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 9, 2004

  3. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    Mike,

    Thanks for the help. I'd like to stay with Norton Antispam. Norton is very
    simple to use, removes almost all spam automatically, updates itself
    automatically every day. If not for the bag, it would be a perfect program.
    On the other side, I've never had luck with hobbist software, and I've tried
    a lot.

    Regards.

    SNTP, Feb 9, 2004
  4. SNTP

    °Mike° Guest

    You're not having any luck with bloatware software,
    either, are you?

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:19:06 -0500, in
    <>
    SNTP scrawled:

    >Mike,
    >
    >Thanks for the help. I'd like to stay with Norton Antispam. Norton is very
    >simple to use, removes almost all spam automatically, updates itself
    >automatically every day. If not for the bag, it would be a perfect program.
    >On the other side, I've never had luck with hobbist software, and I've tried
    >a lot.
    >
    >Regards.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 9, 2004
  5. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    I might've gotten my problem fixed. Knocking on the wood. Keeping my fingers
    and toes crossed.
    Looks like Inbox folder of OE was corrupted. After I have deleted the
    folder, the problem never repeated again. So far that is.

    SNTP, Feb 10, 2004
  6. SNTP

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > You're not having any luck with bloatware software,
    > either, are you?

    Seems OE was corrupt.. So much for your anti-Norton rambling.

    yugsdrawkcab, Feb 10, 2004