    --
    Ken
    This email address is valid for this month only
    Fred Smith, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Fred Smith

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:

    > I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
    > both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
    > to my PC as standard good practice.

    I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
    installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
    this new software from was infected with a virus?
    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Fred Smith

    JPB Guest

    Dave Lear wrote:

    > "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:
    >
    >> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
    >> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
    >> to my PC as standard good practice.

    > I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
    > installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
    > this new software from was infected with a virus?

    It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background processes
    when installing new software, or so one is usually taught when using
    Windows. Anti-virus software is particularly liable to cause problems, I'd
    have thought, due to the fact that it may monitor what's going on, and
    either object to it or simply cause problems because it's trying to scan
    what's happening at a time when lots of stuff is being moved about and
    processed.

    One would hope that when installing new software from original media any
    danger of viruses being introduced *should* be minimal; downloaded software
    could be more dangerous, I suppose, depending on where you got it from.
    Fortunately I no longer require anti-virus software, so I don't care much
    about it any more.

    --
    JPB
    JPB, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Fred Smith

    Dave Lear Guest

    "JPB" wrote in message news:d11nme$p4q$1$

    > It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background
    > processes when installing new software, or so one is usually
    > taught when using Windows.

    Hmm... having worked in IT for around a decade and a half (since DOS, i.e.
    pre-Windows days) it's not until recently that I've seen advice about
    disabling anti-virus to install software. I think it's a bad idea purely for
    the reason that I want to know what I'm installing isn't infected. I've
    never had an install fail because of anti-virus software running.
    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Some anti virus software will detect executable files as viruses and won't
    let you download them. They also slow the download process down if the
    executable is very large and this may cause an interruption in the download
    process. The best thing to do it to try it with the protection on. If
    there is a problem turn it off.

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 13, 2005
  6. JPB wrote:

    > Dave Lear wrote:
    >
    >> "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:
    >>
    >>> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
    >>> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
    >>> to my PC as standard good practice.

    >> I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
    >> installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
    >> this new software from was infected with a virus?

    Well, then your pc (and you) might suffer.
    However, original media sold a thousand times (the _pressed_ cds) most
    probably are free of known/detectable viruses. Other install media may be
    checked in advanced though not all exec packers are recognized by the
    antivirus programs, therefore it is always a good idea to first try install
    with running on-access-scanner modules. I rarely ever had difficulties
    besides a slow install.

    > It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background processes
    > when installing new software, or so one is usually taught when using
    > Windows. Anti-virus software is particularly liable to cause problems, I'd

    Even more viruses are known to cause problems :)

    > from. Fortunately I no longer require anti-virus software, so I don't care
    > much about it any more.

    Hehe, I see we are in the same boat :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Fred Smith

    Fred Smith Guest

    Thanks for all the useful comment, I had never considered the merits of
    keeping the AV on, especially as most major s/w packages recommend "all
    background stuff off". The point re trying to install with it on is well
    made because that is just what I have had to do recently. It is just
    that I dislike s/w telling me what to do, ie "switch me on again or I
    will drive you nuts by interrupting". So, OK I can leave it on, BUT has
    no one a tip to turn it off regardless of the pros and cons?

    Thanks

    In message <-berlin.de>, Walter Mautner
    <> writes

    Fred Smith, Mar 14, 2005