Norton A/V fans

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Barnes, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    John Barnes, Jul 26, 2005

  2. John Barnes

    NNBXX Guest

    Norton fans ? Aliens ?

    NNBXX, Jul 26, 2005

  3. I use to be in the front line. (My TAP will arrive this week)

    Downloaded and entered setup, but...

    "This product cannot be installed on 64-Bit versions of Windows. For more
    information please contact Symantec at: http://service.symantec.com/64bit
    Setup will now exit. OK"

    The product never installed.

    Symantic link:

    "There are currently no consumer products that are compatible with Windows
    XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows 2003 Server."

    --

    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    P4 3.73GHz EE

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Jul 26, 2005
  4. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like maybe 2007? after Vista.

    John Barnes, Jul 26, 2005
  5. I don't think they have any intentions of adding support for x64 in their
    consumer line of products until Windows Vista.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 26, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Surprising, yes, but I don't try to second guess anyone else's preferences.

    John Barnes, Jul 26, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 26, 2005
  8. John Barnes

    warpsix Guest

    Ted wrote:
    > Every infected computer I helped fix, had Norton installed in it.
    > Norton fails to detect viruses and disinfect those computers.
    > All it does is set there, use resources like hell, and scatter files all
    > over the computer.
    > On top of that, some programs gets disabled by the culprit.
    > I don't see anybody can be a fan of such a cluttering big bug.
    >

    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>For those of you who like Norton, they have released the beta of 2006. No
    >>indication of whether it has x64 support. Good luck, and you'll need even
    >>better luck if it doesn't work and you have to uninstall it.
    >>

    >>https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html

    I was a fan of norton anti virus
    and i was upset that it did not work on the x64
    but now i have found 2 good anti virus programs and i will
    "never use norton again"
    the c drive(ide) uses avast (no shutdown problems)and it works good but
    a little slow
    and the sata drive (d)uses the beta of nod32 and it works great!

    warpsix, Jul 26, 2005
  9. John Barnes

    Ted Guest

    >anyone else's preferences.
    It is not a preference, this company has very strong selling power,
    they always think they own your computer, they always think
    they are better than anybody else.
    If you search MS Knowledge base, you will find thousands
    of Norton bugs. I can't see why such a software company would
    have so many major bugs, and a very inefficient software.
    If you have selling power, then you can sell anything.

    I blame companies like DELL etc, for using them as a protection option.
    At one time ezTrust and MacAfee had good software, but I believe both
    outsource their programming now. Seems one idiot company does
    all the programming for most Antivirus companies now.
    Unfortunately they went 15 years behind in user preference options,
    and having a good program.

    Ted, Jul 26, 2005
  10. I don't have any problems with the corporate edition of Norton, its the
    retail editions are really annoying.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 26, 2005
  11. who cares. I wouldn't install it even IF it would run.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Good luck waiting,

    I gave up waiting for Symantec for ISA to start supporting ISA2004 a couple
    of months ago (it still doesn't) and went McAfee, now I'm going McAfee for
    everything - much better products and support anyway.

    I suppose it's a case of McAfee are number 2 and they try harder, Symantec
    are number 1 and think they don't have to try at all :(

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 27, 2005
  13. John Barnes

    Sean M Guest

    I'm admittedly surprised at how many people dislike Norton for antivirus
    protection. In my experience it has always picked up and cleaned stuff that
    McAfee and others tended to miss.

    It takes all kinds, I guess.

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jul 27, 2005
  14. I imagine the dislike comes from the complexity of manually uninstalling it
    to correct some LiveUpdate problems (at least that has been my particular
    experience). It is an unpleasant chore and I have had to do it several
    times in the past three years or so. It doesn't mean I don't continue to
    use NAV, but I sure wish it did not have a propensity for fouling up when
    attempting to do maintenance on it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  15. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Same here (Norton and McAfee are uninstall nightmares - Live Update errors
    on Norton and script errors on McAfee). Plus the fact that automatic
    updates are only 1 time a week. I personally use Trend Micro on x86 with
    updates as often as necessary, sometimes I have had 4 updates a day. Avast
    seems okay for my x64 as I don't experience the shutdown problems and they
    do update every time there is a new file. Plus, I can't use x64 much of the
    time yet.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  16. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Many times they even consider the other anti-virus program as a virus. Avast
    picked up Panda as a virus.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  17. John Barnes

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  18. John Barnes

    Ted Guest

    Apologies sent this by email.

    >I personally use Trend Micro

    What I don't like about Trend Micro.
    It creates a log file that get bigger every day, in few
    weeks you wonder why the computer is becoming so slow,
    accidentally found the 10 mb log file and deleted it from
    the command prompt (running FAT32).
    Called support and asked them about the log file,
    why they don't have a size option, and why it doesn't
    have enough sense not to make such huge log file.
    He said you can only delete manually, which doesn't
    delete unless you do it from the command prompt
    or maybe Safemode.
    That was the end of Trend Micro, luckily got my money back.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  19. Other antispyware programs have the same kind of history with Pest Patrol,
    although not of late.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  20. You're right, but it is because of the greater variety of viruses and all
    the places in the system that now have to be searched for them. XP has a
    lot more to look through than did Win95 and the virus writers now have a
    broad body of knowledge developed over two decades. It is a never ending
    cat and mouse game.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005