    Thanks
    unprotected in NS
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Mar 7, 2004

  2. In article <ugL2c.2504$>,
    says...
    > Hello
    > I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
    > firewall to get online.
    > My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
    > And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
    > Symantec software?
    > Thanks
    > unprotected in NS
    > ron

    lol.

    there's so many things wrong with that.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Ronald Murray

    Gladys Pump Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:05:45 -0400, "Ronald Murray" <>,
    whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following
    sentiments :

    >Hello
    >I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
    >firewall to get online.

    In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/

    >My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
    >And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
    >Symantec software?

    Can you say what the Symantec software is that you're using ?

    XP does have it's own firewall, of sorts. It's not enabled by default, until
    the next service pack comes out, AFAIK. So it shouldn't be on unless you've
    somehow turned it on.

    XP's firewall only blocks unsolicited incoming connection attempts, as far
    as I'm aware.

    Regs, Pete.

    Gladys Pump, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Ronald Murray

    kulm_nd Guest

    I gave up on Symantec firewall, it kept screwing up over time and I would
    have to uninstall it. I now use Zone Alarm Pro with no difficulties.

    The current XP firewall only looks at incoming packets and is turned off by
    default, when the newest service pack comes out from MS the firewall is
    supposed to watch outgoing packets also and be turned on by default.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Ronald Murray

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ugL2c.2504$>,
    says...
    > Hello
    > I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
    > firewall to get online.
    > My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
    > And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
    > Symantec software?
    > Thanks
    > unprotected in NS
    > ron

    First, Norton AV 2004 does not have to be disabled to read email, but,
    if you want to read email that contains a virus you do :)

    Since you didn't say which Norton 2004 product you are using, we can't
    really address your problem - there are many Norton products.

    If you have to disable the firewall you didn't install it correctly. I
    would uninstall Norton 2004, reboot, reinstall it with the default
    configs.

    You should NOT disable NAV while reading/fetching email.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Mar 7, 2004
  6. In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/
    Exactly
    I think this is 5 days now trying to get this stuff to work. It's crazy. My
    computer takes like 4 minutes to boot up into windows. I installed NSW 2004
    then NPF 2004. I wonder if Symantec knows there software doesn't work?
    Ever try to contact them. Good luck.
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Ronald Murray

    Leythos Guest

    In article <hjM2c.2554$>,
    says...
    > In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/
    > Exactly
    > I think this is 5 days now trying to get this stuff to work. It's crazy. My
    > computer takes like 4 minutes to boot up into windows. I installed NSW 2004
    > then NPF 2004. I wonder if Symantec knows there software doesn't work?
    > Ever try to contact them. Good luck.
    > ron

    How much RAM does your Windows XP computer have and are you also using
    the XP Firewall filter?

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Mar 7, 2004