    Its a Coolermaster DXY-4C1XC.

    Thanks

    -Al

    Al, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Al

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Al wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I brought a new northbridge fan (40mm) and it has a blue square on the
    > bottom and a white square of something looking like paper in a little
    > ziplock bag.
    >
    > My question is how do I attach it? Do I need to peel anything off or
    > anything?
    >
    > Its a Coolermaster DXY-4C1XC.
    >
    > Thanks

    That's not just a fan right? It's a heatsink as well? The white square could
    be a thermal pad to stick it to the chip, like double-sided tape. Did it not
    come with instuctions to go with the blue LED? <g>.

    From what I've been able to find on the net it says "pre-applied thermal
    tape on the bottom". If that's the case then it should have a protective
    layer on it that you peel off to expose the sticky pad.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    Thanks misfit.

    yeah it does have preapplied thermal pad, and a protective covering.

    What puzzles me is the very very fine metal mesh that comes in the ziplock
    bag.

    The mesh is protected on either side by two white peices of paper which can
    be peeled back????

    And no it did not come with any bloody instructions for the fan :)

    -Al

    Al, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Al

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Al wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I brought a new northbridge fan (40mm) and it has a blue square on
    >>> the bottom and a white square of something looking like paper in a
    >>> little ziplock bag.
    >>>
    >>> My question is how do I attach it? Do I need to peel anything off or
    >>> anything?
    >>>
    >>> Its a Coolermaster DXY-4C1XC.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> That's not just a fan right? It's a heatsink as well? The white
    >> square could be a thermal pad to stick it to the chip, like
    >> double-sided tape. Did it not come with instuctions to go with the
    >> blue LED? <g>.
    >>
    >> From what I've been able to find on the net it says "pre-applied
    >> thermal tape on the bottom". If that's the case then it should have
    >> a protective layer on it that you peel off to expose the sticky pad.
    >> --

    > Thanks misfit.

    No problem.

    > yeah it does have preapplied thermal pad, and a protective covering.
    >
    > What puzzles me is the very very fine metal mesh that comes in the
    > ziplock bag.
    >
    > The mesh is protected on either side by two white peices of paper
    > which can be peeled back????

    I have no idea what that's for, throw it away. <g>.

    > And no it did not come with any bloody instructions for the fan :)

    I hate that.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Al

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> And no it did not come with any bloody instructions for the fan :)

    Hey Al, I forgot to mention some simple guidlines for fitting the
    heatsink/fan.

    If this mobo has never had a NB HSF before then clean the NB with, ideally,
    a clean cloth and Isopropyl Alcohol, (preferably not the 70% stuff, you can
    usually get it from a chemist) or failing that, methylated spirits will do.
    Wipe clean and leave for a minute or two to evaporate solvent any left. I'd
    still do this if the board is new, they can have a layer of waxy stuff on
    them.

    If it's a tower case, have it on it's side. Peel the protective layer from
    the pad and position it on the NB. Now, if it didn't have one before I don't
    hook up the fan straight away, I put a small weight on the top, like a
    little can of baked beans (but I'm told spaghetti works as well) and run
    your computer for a while like that. It allows the pad to heat up a bit and
    bond better. If the NB already had a HSF and you're replacing it then it may
    pay to skip that stage due to it already needing the cooling, or not, up to
    you. Then turn off the machine and connect the fan and you're good to go.

    It's not strictly neccasary to do the extra bonding thing but can help
    performance in the long-term. It is important that the NB surface is clean
    of dust and contaminants.

    But I guess it's too late huh? You've already fitted it? Sorry, should have
    told you this yesterday. It'll still work Ok, I just like to ensure it's
    working to it's best capabilities.

    Good luck,
    --
    ~misfit~