    Any general thoughts about this or common experiences.

    Best Regards,

    Wayne

    BigGuy2004, Aug 27, 2004

  2. BigGuy2004

    cc0275012 Guest

    I've seen some implementations of the same chipset, different mobo
    manufacturer and some use a fan some don't.
    Some will just use a heatsink. So go figure...I had a Soyo chipset fan go
    out and Soyo sent me a new one for free.
    Makes you wonder some times....

    "BigGuy2004" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all ...
    >
    > I posted earlier about a noisy Abit NB chipset fan. Well, I took the damn
    > thing off the Mobo, nice and quiet now BTW, and never replaced it. I'm

    sure
    > there's a good reason for the fan ... or the EE's would have never planned
    > for it. I've been running without it now for a most two months and wonder
    > if I can get away without this NB fan at all? I theoretically could fry

    my

    cc0275012, Aug 27, 2004

  3. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > The design has to withstand a worst-case scenario.
    >
    > Are you using every possible feature of your chipset? Onboard audio,
    > video, lan, all USB ports, all IDE ports, raid ports, firewire ports,
    > etc., etc.
    >
    > You may not have a problem. or you just may not have it yet.

    thermal creep will eventually set in. the chipset may not run hot enuff to
    cook the dopant off the chips, but without cooling, he's subjecting his
    chipset to more thermal stress than necessary. little pins and solder joints
    expanding and contracting over and over again with every boot and shutdown.
    so unless he plans to keep it running continuously, i hope he knows how to
    solder!
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 28, 2004
  4. BigGuy2004

    BigGuy2004 Guest

    Excellent point ... I'm not really bringing the chipset "down to its knees"
    so to speak. Maybe I'll practice due diligence and remount a new fan.
    Solomon's statement about thermal creep does make sense. I just hate that
    damn noise.

    thanks

    BigGuy2004, Aug 30, 2004
  5. BigGuy2004

    ragingbear99 Guest

    Actually its Vapor-Phase-Reflow (hot air) and all the connections are
    under the chip in the BallGridArray ... which are have at least
    similar thermal expanson to the motherboard material to which they are
    soldered, but they will eventually fail without the fan.

    But the problem still remains - ABit is unwilling to make good on
    another warranty replacement problem they caused by using "cheap"
    parts by saying they have no stock in the NB fans (at least in my
    case) and suggesting that I purchase the fans from eXcaliberPC if I
    don't want to return the entire motherboard.

    I was one of the unlucky ones that purchased 5+ system boards three
    years ago with those fateful capacitors with the stolen formulation
    for electrolyte which corroded the electrodes and eventually failed.
    Back then they were taking a month to send replacement boards and I
    had to keep a spare so my customers would not kill me for taking them
    out for a month. Looking a the offering at eXcaliberPC.com it appears
    that they are still pawning off the defective parts (no mention of
    ball bearings) for purchase and eXcaliberPC only offers a 30 day
    warranty! Too bad it looks like ABit is heading down the same black
    hole again, from which I cannot consider purchasing thier products
    again.

    ragingbear99, Nov 22, 2004