Nortel BCM Vs Avaya IP Office

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Gavin, May 19, 2005.

  1. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    We are a medium sized software house that runs its own help desk. We
    are looking at install a VOIP system and have the decision down to 2
    the Nortel BCM or the Avaya IP Office. We have 2 offices in different
    cities which will be connectred VIA a Tier 1.

    One office will have about 30 extensions, with 4 IP trucks to our other
    office which will have about 10 extensions. We will be doing some
    considerable Jumping off from other smaller office.

    Nortel have recommend the BCM 400 for larger office and the BCM 200
    for the smaller

    Avaya have recommended the IP406 for both offices.

    Does anyone here have any suggestions about which is the better system
    to choose?

    I have been told that the BCM is in a completely higher class than the
    IP 406 is this true?

    Thanks in Advance

    Gavin
    Gavin, May 19, 2005

  2. Gavin

    Paul Guest

    Bah, I'd say grab your local linux geek and have him setup Asterisk.
    It'll be cheaper than buying some expensive proprietary PBX and give you
    allot of room for expansion and extra features. Plus you can use almost any
    SIP/H323 phones.
    I suggest you take a look if you haven't. http://www.asterisk.org

    -Paul

    Paul, May 20, 2005

  3. Gavin

    Dmitri Guest

    Gavin wrote:

    > I have been told that the BCM is in a completely higher class than the
    > IP 406 is this true?

    That was probably a Nortel sales rep telling you that ;-)
    IP406 is a great switch, and has just been improved with its second
    hardware version. Installs easily, will support from 5 to 30 IP trunks
    between your offices. And get this: Nortel BCM supports 3-party conference
    calls, IP Office - 64-party conf calls (or two 64-party on IP412). Not too
    bad for a (relatively) small switch like that. So, which one is a higher
    class? ;-)

    Anyways, both are solid switches. Talks about "completely higher class"
    are sales bullshit. Go by level of support offered and the phone vendor's
    references. Well, and the price, obviously. If your phone vendor does not
    know what they are doing, both switches can easily be screwed up
    (especially BCM at the configuration stage - very complicated resource
    allocation setup), so make sure you trust the vendor.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum