  1. We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    players..

    This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..
    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Master  Tech ©

    Kerry Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:19:03 +1200, Master Tech ©
    <> wrote:

    >We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    >players..
    >
    >This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    Works well with my older technics CD player

    Four be the things I am wiser to know:
    Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
    Four be the things I'd been better without:
    Love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt.
    Kerry, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Master  Tech ©

    Steve Guest

    Master Tech © allegedly said:

    > We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    > players..
    >
    > This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    Thanks for letting us know. I won't buy it.

    There's lots of good music around to buy without having to waste time on
    that crap.

    --
    Steve
    Steve, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Master  Tech ©

    The Enforcer Guest

    Rip it, burn it, and then write a letter to the publisher explaining how you
    had to copy their crippled product that you legitimately purchased in order
    to actually use it. This sends them the clear message that:
    1) Crude copy protection methods do nothing to stop piracy.
    2) They piss off customers.

    The Enforcer, Jul 11, 2003
  5. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:22:09 GMT, (Kerry)
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:19:03 +1200, Master Tech ©
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    >>players..
    >>
    >>This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    >Works well with my older technics CD player

    How old what Model..

    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Master  Tech ©

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:19:03 +1200, Master Tech © wrote:

    > We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    > players..
    >
    > This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    Shame you've already paid for it.

    Your options:

    1) Take it back and demand a refund. According to the Phillips
    specification, the product is in violation of the 'Compact Disk' trademark
    and can not be legally advertised or sold as a CD. Consumer protection
    laws apply. I repeat - Copy-Protected 'CDs' are ILLEGAL!!!

    2) Run KaZaa and download each of the tracks that are on your CD. Burn
    these tracks onto a blank disk, and use that disk in place of the Norah
    Jones CD. Don't download any other tracks. This is a legally defensible
    tactic, because you are simply asserting your fair use rights - you have
    already paid for the original CD.

    3) Download all the tracks from KaZaa, and burn them onto as many CDs as
    possible, and give out the CDs to your friends, and encourage as many
    other people as possible to do the same. If the little wench is stupid
    enough to allow her work to be published on restrictive, illegal media (ie
    trademark-infringing CDs), then she deserves to get pirated. Totally
    illegal, but WGAF

    4) Go to a legitimate download site, find/buy/download tracks from
    interesting independent artists you've never heard off before. Broaden
    your tastes - discover good stuff that the major labels won't touch -
    you'll be glad you did. Totally legal and hugely beneficial.

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Master  Tech ©

    The Enforcer Guest

    > In the first case this is what we did, but its not easy to copy and its
    > impossible to rip.

    If you know anyone with a Mac I believe they can do it without breaking a
    sweat. The alternative strategy is to go for a refund and pirate the music
    anyway :)
    The Enforcer, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Master  Tech ©

    Rob Guest

    <> wrote:

    >We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    >players..
    >
    >This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    Take it back to the shop for a refund. Under the CGA it has to work.
    Rob, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Master  Tech ©

    Steven H Guest

    does it have the offical Compact Disk logo on it?

    if it does take it back - doesnt fit its pourpose it is intended to do

    Steven H
    Steven H, Jul 11, 2003
  10. Master Tech © wrote:

    > In the first case this is what we did, but its not easy to copy and its
    > impossible to rip.

    EAC on burst mode did my massive attack CD just fine.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 11, 2003
  11. Master  Tech ©

    lily Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Master Tech © allegedly said:
    >

    > > We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    > > players..
    > >
    > > This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    > Thanks for letting us know. I won't buy it.
    >
    > There's lots of good music around to buy without having to waste time on
    > that crap.
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    True
    If I can't rip it and put it in my Sony Minidiscs its no use.
    Tired of being treated like a CRIMINAL !!
    http://www.eff.org/share/

    lily, Jul 11, 2003
  12. Master  Tech ©

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Steven H of Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:40 :

    > does it have the offical Compact Disk logo on it?
    >
    > if it does take it back - doesnt fit its pourpose it is intended to do

    Doesn't matter if it has that logo on it or not.
    If it is sold as a music CD but can't be used in a player, it is not fit for
    purpose.

    The retailer should refund your money.

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 11, 2003
  13. Matthew Strickland wrote:

    > Is it possible for CD Writers to read and write "RAW" data from disc to
    > disc? Like including any bad TOC's etc...

    They do, but they mess with the data in a way that it looks like errors, thats
    why the error correcting modes in EAC will not work, It also makes them highly
    vunerable to scratches etc.

    They put a huge file on the data track, where most of it points to parts of the
    disc that have nothing or audio data on it. So long as the player program never
    requests that part of the disc, then it will never know that theres nothing
    there. When you try to copy the disc you are trying to read the whole thing, and
    thats when you will find that the file in question is unreadable.

    > I know this wont solve the ablility to play in older players, but how come
    > cd-readers (or the reading device) has to be intelligent and try to 'read'
    > the data before copying?

    To know what parts of the disc to read from, and where on the disc it is reading
    from.

    > With CD-CD copy does 0 > 0 and 1 > 1 not work?
    > How about CD-CD copy of foreign data?
    >
    > Cuse me if its a dumb question, but I havent followed any copyright
    > protection techniques at all.

    These arent copyright protection, they are playback prevension.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 11, 2003
  14. Steven H wrote:

    > does it have the offical Compact Disk logo on it?
    >
    > if it does take it back - doesnt fit its pourpose it is intended to do

    Doesnt need the logo to be taken back. It was bought to be played, and you cant
    do that.

    There are also no system requirements for playback, and no EULA on the software
    about reverse engeneering of that software.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 11, 2003
  15. Master  Tech ©

    Adam Warner Guest

    > We now have a second case of this CD not working with Older Technics CD
    > players..
    >
    > This is a Copy protect CD that used 2 TOC for protection..

    If correct this is a real pity since Norah Jones is a soulful and
    beautiful singer who openly provides free quality recordings of her live
    concerts: <http://www.norahjones.com/av/default.htm>

    I doubt she was expecting a pressing of deliberately corrupted CD-Audio
    discs.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, Jul 11, 2003
  16. Master  Tech ©

    k y l e Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Steven H wrote:
    >
    > > does it have the offical Compact Disk logo on it?
    > >
    > > if it does take it back - doesnt fit its pourpose it is intended to do

    > Doesnt need the logo to be taken back. It was bought to be played, and you

    cant
    > do that.

    All the more reason to boycott cds, and download what you cannot access
    through your fair use rights.
    k y l e, Jul 11, 2003
  17. Master  Tech ©

    dickydoo Guest

    Why bother, she is boring.and all her songs are in the same key.Take it back
    and got to the warehouse and get 6 others of older blues/jazz singers for
    the money.

    dickydoo, Jul 11, 2003
  18. Master  Tech ©

    dickydoo, Jul 11, 2003
  19. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:05:31 +1200, "Matthew Strickland"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it possible for CD Writers to read and write "RAW" data from disc to
    >disc? Like including any bad TOC's etc...
    >
    >I know this wont solve the ablility to play in older players, but how come
    >cd-readers (or the reading device) has to be intelligent and try to 'read'
    >the data before copying?
    >
    >With CD-CD copy does 0 > 0 and 1 > 1 not work?
    >How about CD-CD copy of foreign data?
    >
    >Cuse me if its a dumb question, but I havent followed any copyright
    >protection techniques at all.

    Clone and Alcohol 120 can copy it as they ignore the 2nd TOC..

    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003
  20. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:40:10 +1200, Steven H <> wrote:

    >does it have the offical Compact Disk logo on it?
    >
    >if it does take it back - doesnt fit its pourpose it is intended to do

    No it does not these are Made by EMI, the Web support site got attacked with
    some much abuse the shut it down..
    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003