Nopir-B worm...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Michael Pelletier

    DANG Guest

    "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    > Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss


    Which "music industry" are you referring to? It is allegedly thought to
    originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application. Have
    you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p platform? I
    think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for sharing.
    Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to name or refer
    to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate damage to mp3's
    and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a better vehicle?
    No, I believe they will continue their actions through the courts and close
    down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p sabotage, regardless
    of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy theory.
    DANG
     
    DANG, Apr 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. From: "Michael Pelletier" <>

    | Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    |
    | http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    |
    | Michael
    | --
    |
    | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    | Linus Torvald

    Well this isn't the first infector to target MP3 files.

    The W32/Bibrog.a@MM has been around for over two years and deletes all MP3 files.
    The VBS/Tobar has been around for 3 years and overwrites all MP3 files.

    Just the fact that the Nopir worm displays an anti piracy statement doesn't mean much.
    There are *many* infectors that target media files and have been around for years.

    I will say it just another reason to steer away from P2P networks.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
     
    David H. Lipman, Apr 25, 2005
    #3
  4. David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Michael Pelletier" <>
    >
    > | Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    > |
    > | http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    > |
    > | Michael
    > | --
    > |
    > | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
    > | - Linus Torvald
    >
    > Well this isn't the first infector to target MP3 files.
    >
    > The W32/Bibrog.a@MM has been around for over two years and deletes all MP3
    > files. The VBS/Tobar has been around for 3 years and overwrites all MP3
    > files.
    >
    > Just the fact that the Nopir worm displays an anti piracy statement
    > doesn't mean much. There are *many* infectors that target media files and
    > have been around for years.
    >
    > I will say it just another reason to steer away from P2P networks.
    >


    The funny thing is why delete mp3 files in the first place. There are lot of
    other things one could do when your virus has been installed on someone's
    system. I still think there is a purpose to it. I do think that the Music
    industry is behind it. In the case of this one, why display an anti-piracy
    message? You you telling me there is some computer virus writer out there
    that is so concerned with the piracy of music that he/she took it upon
    himself/herself to write it? No way.

    If the Music industry is behind it, I hope someone can prove it so they can
    now be sued. Writting a virus no matter what the reason is a criminal act.

    Mihcael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 25, 2005
    #4
  5. DANG wrote:

    >
    > "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    > news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    >> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss

    >
    > Which "music industry" are you referring to?


    Could be IFPI or RIAA...

    > It is allegedly thought to
    > originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    > Have you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p platform?
    > I think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for
    > sharing.


    DVD rippers and DVD to Divix stuff? They are very popular...

    > Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to name
    > or refer to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate damage
    > to mp3's and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a better
    > vehicle?


    That is the best vehicle. You hit them where they do it. You hit them where
    it hurts.

    > No, I believe they will continue their actions through the courts
    > and close down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p
    > sabotage, regardless of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy
    > theory. DANG


    Sure the Music Industry will continue their court cases. But, you can not
    close down some of the newer P2P sites because they are not centralized.
    Only the first generations were. In short they will never stop piracy. No
    matter how much money they sink into pushing new laws.

    Like I said before. It just seems to suspicious to me. You get someone to
    download your trojan. Since most Windows users log in with administrator
    privs your trojan now has full access to the system. At this point you can
    pretty much do anything and your telling me that they only decide to delete
    mp3 files? That does not seem strange to you? Usually the people that write
    these things could not care less about the laws....why would they all of a
    sudden get morals?

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 25, 2005
    #5
  6. From: "Michael Pelletier" <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    |
    >> From: "Michael Pelletier" <>
    >>

    |>> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    |>>
    |>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    |>>
    |>> Michael
    |>> --
    |>>
    |>> "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
    |>> - Linus Torvald
    >>
    >> Well this isn't the first infector to target MP3 files.
    >>
    >> The W32/Bibrog.a@MM has been around for over two years and deletes all MP3
    >> files. The VBS/Tobar has been around for 3 years and overwrites all MP3
    >> files.
    >>
    >> Just the fact that the Nopir worm displays an anti piracy statement
    >> doesn't mean much. There are *many* infectors that target media files and
    >> have been around for years.
    >>
    >> I will say it just another reason to steer away from P2P networks.
    >>

    | The funny thing is why delete mp3 files in the first place. There are lot of
    | other things one could do when your virus has been installed on someone's
    | system. I still think there is a purpose to it. I do think that the Music
    | industry is behind it. In the case of this one, why display an anti-piracy
    | message? You you telling me there is some computer virus writer out there
    | that is so concerned with the piracy of music that he/she took it upon
    | himself/herself to write it? No way.
    |
    | If the Music industry is behind it, I hope someone can prove it so they can
    | now be sued. Writting a virus no matter what the reason is a criminal act.
    |
    | Mihcael
    | --
    |
    | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    | Linus Torvald

    It deletes MP3 files to be malicious. The same reason BMP and JPEG files are also targeted.

    As for the possibillity of a non-RIAA contected individual writing malware which deletes MP3
    files, I think the possibility is very possible. Not because of the music industry looses
    money and they feel high and mighty and moral but because of the value the public places on
    MP3 files. The writer feels good because he/she knows that the malware has caused the
    recipient damage.

    The two examples are not alone. There are many other malicious media targeting infectors.

    Go to; http://vil.nai.com/vil/advsearch.asp and put MP3 into the search field.


    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
     
    David H. Lipman, Apr 25, 2005
    #6
  7. David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Michael Pelletier" <>
    >
    > | David H. Lipman wrote:
    > |
    >>> From: "Michael Pelletier" <>
    >>>

    > |>> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    > |>>
    > |>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    > |>>
    > |>> Michael
    > |>> --
    > |>>
    > |>> "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating
    > |>> systems." - Linus Torvald
    >>>
    >>> Well this isn't the first infector to target MP3 files.
    >>>
    >>> The W32/Bibrog.a@MM has been around for over two years and deletes all
    >>> MP3 files. The VBS/Tobar has been around for 3 years and overwrites all
    >>> MP3 files.
    >>>
    >>> Just the fact that the Nopir worm displays an anti piracy statement
    >>> doesn't mean much. There are *many* infectors that target media files
    >>> and have been around for years.
    >>>
    >>> I will say it just another reason to steer away from P2P networks.
    >>>

    > | The funny thing is why delete mp3 files in the first place. There are
    > | lot of other things one could do when your virus has been installed on
    > | someone's system. I still think there is a purpose to it. I do think
    > | that the Music industry is behind it. In the case of this one, why
    > | display an anti-piracy message? You you telling me there is some
    > | computer virus writer out there that is so concerned with the piracy of
    > | music that he/she took it upon himself/herself to write it? No way.
    > |
    > | If the Music industry is behind it, I hope someone can prove it so they
    > | can now be sued. Writting a virus no matter what the reason is a
    > | criminal act.
    > |
    > | Mihcael
    > | --
    > |
    > | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
    > | - Linus Torvald
    >
    > It deletes MP3 files to be malicious. The same reason BMP and JPEG files
    > are also targeted.
    >
    > As for the possibillity of a non-RIAA contected individual writing malware
    > which deletes MP3
    > files, I think the possibility is very possible. Not because of the music
    > industry looses money and they feel high and mighty and moral but because
    > of the value the public places on
    > MP3 files. The writer feels good because he/she knows that the malware
    > has caused the recipient damage.
    >
    > The two examples are not alone. There are many other malicious media
    > targeting infectors.
    >
    > Go to; http://vil.nai.com/vil/advsearch.asp and put MP3 into the search
    > field.
    >
    >


    I noticed a lot of the viruses listed pretend to be a mp3 when in fact they
    were not. I wonder how many of them actually target the removal of mp3s? I
    am gonna take a closer look at the list.

    I still think there is more to it than what it seems. At least this one.

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 25, 2005
    #7
  8. "DANG" <> wrote in message
    news:hOVae.78569$...
    >
    > "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    > news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    >> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss

    >
    > Which "music industry" are you referring to? It is allegedly thought to
    > originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    > Have
    > you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p platform? I
    > think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for sharing.
    > Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to name or refer
    > to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate damage to mp3's
    > and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a better vehicle?
    > No, I believe they will continue their actions through the courts and
    > close
    > down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p sabotage,
    > regardless
    > of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy theory.
    > DANG


    I have to agree. The potential downside for the industry if this blew up
    in their faces is HUGE. The upside is miniscule--petty harassment. If they
    wanted to go out with a big splash they certainly have the resources to come
    up with something a lot bigger than this.

    TB
     
    Technobarbarian, Apr 25, 2005
    #8
  9. From: "Michael Pelletier" <>


    >>
    >> It deletes MP3 files to be malicious. The same reason BMP and JPEG files
    >> are also targeted.
    >>
    >> As for the possibillity of a non-RIAA contected individual writing malware
    >> which deletes MP3
    >> files, I think the possibility is very possible. Not because of the music
    >> industry looses money and they feel high and mighty and moral but because
    >> of the value the public places on
    >> MP3 files. The writer feels good because he/she knows that the malware
    >> has caused the recipient damage.
    >>
    >> The two examples are not alone. There are many other malicious media
    >> targeting infectors.
    >>
    >> Go to; http://vil.nai.com/vil/advsearch.asp and put MP3 into the search
    >> field.
    >>

    | I noticed a lot of the viruses listed pretend to be a mp3 when in fact they
    | were not. I wonder how many of them actually target the removal of mp3s? I
    | am gonna take a closer look at the list.
    |
    | I still think there is more to it than what it seems. At least this one.
    |
    | Michael
    | --
    |
    | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    | Linus Torvald

    Maybe it is Michael, however the same speculation was made on previous ones as well.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
     
    David H. Lipman, Apr 25, 2005
    #9
  10. Technobarbarian wrote:

    >
    > "DANG" <> wrote in message
    > news:hOVae.78569$...
    >>
    >> "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    >> news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    >>> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss

    >>
    >> Which "music industry" are you referring to? It is allegedly thought to
    >> originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    >> Have
    >> you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p platform? I
    >> think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for
    >> sharing. Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to
    >> name or refer to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate
    >> damage to mp3's and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a
    >> better vehicle? No, I believe they will continue their actions through
    >> the courts and close
    >> down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p sabotage,
    >> regardless
    >> of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy theory.
    >> DANG

    >
    > I have to agree. The potential downside for the industry if this blew
    > up
    > in their faces is HUGE. The upside is miniscule--petty harassment. If they
    > wanted to go out with a big splash they certainly have the resources to
    > come up with something a lot bigger than this.
    >
    > TB


    Well also remember that about a month ago Canada said that they would not
    support additions to the Millennium act...also P2P is not centralized so
    who do you sue? I agree with you on one thing, if there is some kind of
    "sponsoring" by the Music industry it could blowup in their face...


    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 25, 2005
    #10
  11. Michael Pelletier

    DANG Guest

    "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    news:NJWae.65010$A31.61861@fed1read03...
    > DANG wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    > > news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    > >> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss

    > >
    > > Which "music industry" are you referring to?

    >
    > Could be IFPI or RIAA...
    >
    > > It is allegedly thought to
    > > originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    > > Have you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p

    platform?
    > > I think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for
    > > sharing.

    >
    > DVD rippers and DVD to Divix stuff? They are very popular...
    >
    > > Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to name
    > > or refer to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate

    damage
    > > to mp3's and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a better
    > > vehicle?

    >
    > That is the best vehicle. You hit them where they do it. You hit them

    where
    > it hurts.
    >
    > > No, I believe they will continue their actions through the courts
    > > and close down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p
    > > sabotage, regardless of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy
    > > theory. DANG

    >
    > Sure the Music Industry will continue their court cases. But, you can not
    > close down some of the newer P2P sites because they are not centralized.
    > Only the first generations were. In short they will never stop piracy. No
    > matter how much money they sink into pushing new laws.
    >
    > Like I said before. It just seems to suspicious to me. You get someone to
    > download your trojan. Since most Windows users log in with administrator
    > privs your trojan now has full access to the system. At this point you can
    > pretty much do anything and your telling me that they only decide to

    delete
    > mp3 files? That does not seem strange to you? Usually the people that

    write
    > these things could not care less about the laws....why would they all of a
    > sudden get morals?


    Ok let's calm down and focus a little bit. I hadn't thought this necessary
    to reply to your reply, but I'll try and make this clearer. your terms of
    reference are vague and non-specific. You suggest "the music industry" and
    now quote the IFPI or the RIAA, neither of which produces music at all. They
    are just the organisational vehicles, representing international and
    american record producers, which try to limit piracy of their copyrighted
    material. They are legitimate organisations. They are not the malicious,
    amoral virus/trojan/worm authors you seem to be confusing them with.
    Dvd rippers and dvd to divx "stuff" is fairly popular but it is widely
    available for direct download from a variety of regular download sites.
    There is really not that much activity in this type of app in p2p. And let's
    be specific about p2p, you're using the term as a generic. There are a
    number of different p2p applications, methods and sites. Which are you
    referring to when you say "cannot close down some of the newer P2P sites"? I
    referred to torrent sites and indeed FYI three hugely popular bit torrent
    websites have been closed down within the last 6 months.
    Hit them where it hurts? An indiscriminate virus that targets mp3 and/or
    ..com files, whether they are the legitimate or the pirated property of
    victim, disguised as a dvd copier? Surely a dvd ripper would be more
    concerned with video piracy. Are you now suggesting "The Movie Industry" are
    now also involved?
    Yes, you said it before, you think it's suspicious. "You get someone to
    download your trojan", this remark makes me wonder whether you have your own
    personal axe to grind. Your original post refers to the Nopir-B worm and now
    you're rambling about a trojan. I'm telling you what this worm does because
    I read and absorbed the review your link provided, did you? The name of the
    WORM is the title of your post! I'm not sure exactly who or what you're so
    prejudiced against, is it the "p2p community" as a whole, or the music
    pirates, the video pirates, or the "music industry" and/or the organisations
    set up to secure copyright, or the virus authors themselves. You seem to be
    painting all of them with the same tar brush.
    Many thanks for your original link referral, but please in future read it
    yourself and as frustrating for you as it may seem, leave the general
    venting to your blog site.
    Kind regards,
    DANG
     
    DANG, Apr 25, 2005
    #11
  12. Michael Pelletier

    Tesla Guest

    DANG wrote:

    > Yes, you said it before, you think it's suspicious. "You get someone to
    > download your trojan", this remark makes me wonder whether you have your own
    > personal axe to grind. Your original post refers to the Nopir-B worm and now
    > you're rambling about a trojan. I'm telling you what this worm does because
    > I read and absorbed the review your link provided, did you? The name of the
    > WORM is the title of your post! I'm not sure exactly who or what you're so
    > prejudiced against, is it the "p2p community" as a whole, or the music
    > pirates, the video pirates, or the "music industry"


    This is a trojan as it requires user action to download. It is possibly
    also a worm because it copies itself into the shared areas - however
    it does not travel by itself and requires help (somebody requesting to
    download it).

    Ash.
     
    Tesla, Apr 25, 2005
    #12
  13. Michael Pelletier

    Tesla Guest

    Tesla, Apr 25, 2005
    #13
  14. "Michael Pelletier" <> wrote in message
    news:BO_ae.66433$A31.26706@fed1read03...
    > Technobarbarian wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "DANG" <> wrote in message
    >> news:hOVae.78569$...
    >>>
    >>> "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    >>>> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    >>>
    >>> Which "music industry" are you referring to? It is allegedly thought to
    >>> originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    >>> Have
    >>> you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p platform? I
    >>> think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for
    >>> sharing. Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to
    >>> name or refer to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate
    >>> damage to mp3's and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a
    >>> better vehicle? No, I believe they will continue their actions through
    >>> the courts and close
    >>> down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p sabotage,
    >>> regardless
    >>> of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy theory.
    >>> DANG

    >>
    >> I have to agree. The potential downside for the industry if this blew
    >> up
    >> in their faces is HUGE. The upside is miniscule--petty harassment. If
    >> they
    >> wanted to go out with a big splash they certainly have the resources to
    >> come up with something a lot bigger than this.
    >>
    >> TB

    >
    > Well also remember that about a month ago Canada said that they would not
    > support additions to the Millennium act...also P2P is not centralized so
    > who do you sue? I agree with you on one thing, if there is some kind of
    > "sponsoring" by the Music industry it could blowup in their face...


    In the event something like this blew up in the "Music industry's" face
    the lawsuits would be the least of their problems. The political fallout
    would be the big problem. They're dependent on the perception that they're
    the good guys and people sharing files are the black hats. If they do
    anything to seriously upset this perception much of their support from
    various governments evaporates.

    In any event the class action lawsuits would be against the people
    originating the worm and their "sponsors".

    TB
     
    Technobarbarian, Apr 25, 2005
    #14
  15. Michael Pelletier

    andy smart Guest

    Michael Pelletier wrote:
    > Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    >
    > Michael


    Well, I don't.

    1) To talk about 'the music industry' is to suggest that there is some
    kind of global entity who could sponsor something like this; rather than
    1000s of individual companies who in business terms don't want THEIR
    music pirated.

    2) Given the enthusiam with which relatively unskilled Internet users
    like to steal illegal copies of music and films it's a great way to
    spread malware

    3) I'd be more inclined to suspect an individual who thinks stealing
    other people's work is wrong and is acting in 'vigilante' mode.
     
    andy smart, Apr 25, 2005
    #15
  16. Michael Pelletier

    Mr. Ben Guest

    On 2005-04-25, andy smart <> wrote:
    > Michael Pelletier wrote:
    >> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    >>
    >> Michael

    >
    > Well, I don't.


    <snip>

    > 3) I'd be more inclined to suspect an individual who thinks stealing
    > other people's work is wrong and is acting in 'vigilante' mode.


    Quite possible. Two wrongs rarely make a right though. Which is worse ?

    a) Downloading (and possibly later distributing) copyrighted material for free.

    b) Creating a piece of malware to 'payback' this 'injustice', which does not
    discriminate between legally and illegally obtained material, and which may
    cause damage to an operating system.

    Mr.Ben.
     
    Mr. Ben, Apr 25, 2005
    #16
  17. Tesla wrote:

    > DANG wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, you said it before, you think it's suspicious. "You get someone to
    >> download your trojan", this remark makes me wonder whether you have your
    >> own personal axe to grind. Your original post refers to the Nopir-B worm
    >> and now you're rambling about a trojan. I'm telling you what this worm
    >> does because I read and absorbed the review your link provided, did you?
    >> The name of the WORM is the title of your post! I'm not sure exactly who
    >> or what you're so prejudiced against, is it the "p2p community" as a
    >> whole, or the music pirates, the video pirates, or the "music industry"

    >
    > This is a trojan as it requires user action to download. It is possibly
    > also a worm because it copies itself into the shared areas - however
    > it does not travel by itself and requires help (somebody requesting to
    > download it).
    >
    > Ash.


    ....hence why I referred to is a trojan....but I guess I did not read the
    article clear enough :) Or maybe I am just venting...or both..

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 26, 2005
    #17
  18. DANG wrote:

    >
    > "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    > news:NJWae.65010$A31.61861@fed1read03...
    >> DANG wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > "Michael Pelletier" <> schreef in bericht
    >> > news:RNTae.64982$A31.39726@fed1read03...
    >> >> Now, who really thinks this was NOT sponsored by the Music Industry?
    >> >>
    >> >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10985?ref=rss
    >> >
    >> > Which "music industry" are you referring to?

    >>
    >> Could be IFPI or RIAA...
    >>
    >> > It is allegedly thought to
    >> > originate from France and poses as a commercial dvd copier application.
    >> > Have you peformed any search of known dvd copier apps on any p2p

    > platform?
    >> > I think you'll find a meagre haul... it just isn't that popular for
    >> > sharing.

    >>
    >> DVD rippers and DVD to Divix stuff? They are very popular...
    >>
    >> > Hypothetically, if "the" or any "music industry" you care to name
    >> > or refer to, wished to sabotage the p2p community by indiscriminate

    > damage
    >> > to mp3's and/or .com applications don't you think they'd use a better
    >> > vehicle?

    >>
    >> That is the best vehicle. You hit them where they do it. You hit them

    > where
    >> it hurts.
    >>
    >> > No, I believe they will continue their actions through the courts
    >> > and close down a variety of torrents websites... as for viral p2p
    >> > sabotage, regardless of how ineffective it is... no, just conspiracy
    >> > theory. DANG

    >>
    >> Sure the Music Industry will continue their court cases. But, you can not
    >> close down some of the newer P2P sites because they are not centralized.
    >> Only the first generations were. In short they will never stop piracy. No
    >> matter how much money they sink into pushing new laws.
    >>
    >> Like I said before. It just seems to suspicious to me. You get someone to
    >> download your trojan. Since most Windows users log in with administrator
    >> privs your trojan now has full access to the system. At this point you
    >> can pretty much do anything and your telling me that they only decide to

    > delete
    >> mp3 files? That does not seem strange to you? Usually the people that

    > write
    >> these things could not care less about the laws....why would they all of
    >> a sudden get morals?

    >
    > Ok let's calm down and focus a little bit.


    Gee, thanks for your advice..

    > I hadn't thought this necessary
    > to reply to your reply, but I'll try and make this clearer. your terms of
    > reference are vague and non-specific.


    I will email the virus writer have him post...

    > You suggest "the music industry" and
    > now quote the IFPI or the RIAA, neither of which produces music at all.
    > They are just the organisational vehicles, representing international and
    > american record producers, which try to limit piracy of their copyrighted
    > material. They are legitimate organisations. They are not the malicious,
    > amoral virus/trojan/worm authors you seem to be confusing them with.


    They are a group of recording artists who are looking, desperately, to
    protect their investments.

    > Dvd rippers and dvd to divx "stuff" is fairly popular but it is widely
    > available for direct download from a variety of regular download sites
    > There is really not that much activity in this type of app in p2p. And
    > let's be specific about p2p, you're using the term as a generic. There are
    > a number of different p2p applications, methods and sites. Which are you
    > referring to when you say "cannot close down some of the newer P2P sites"?
    > I referred to torrent sites and indeed FYI three hugely popular bit
    > torrent websites have been closed down within the last 6 months.
    > Hit them where it hurts? An indiscriminate virus that targets mp3 and/or
    > .com files, whether they are the legitimate or the pirated property of
    > victim, disguised as a dvd copier? Surely a dvd ripper would be more
    > concerned with video piracy. Are you now suggesting "The Movie Industry"
    > are now also involved?


    I am saying that it is pretty strange that a virus writer would be so
    concerned with Movie piracy as to write a trojan/worm and pop a message
    about Video Piracy on the screen when it is done deleting things. Still
    sounds a little strange to me...

    > Yes, you said it before, you think it's suspicious. "You get someone to
    > download your trojan", this remark makes me wonder whether you have your
    > own personal axe to grind.


    Personal axe to grind? No. I have never had a problem with piracy. I am
    neither for it nor against it. I am however, very against virus writers.

    > Your original post refers to the Nopir-B worm
    > and now you're rambling about a trojan. I'm telling you what this worm
    > does because I read and absorbed the review your link provided, did you?


    It is both. I guess you might have read the article but, maybe do not
    understand the concepts. It is also a trojan because it, like the original
    Trojan Horse, is pretending to be something that it is not.

    > The name of the WORM is the title of your post!


    Don't have any control over the name of the virus. Contract Symantec and ask
    nicely maybe they will change the name for you. :-0

    > I'm not sure exactly who
    > or what you're so prejudiced against, is it the "p2p community" as a
    > whole, or the music pirates, the video pirates, or the "music industry"
    > and/or the organisations set up to secure copyright, or the virus authors
    > themselves.


    None of the above. I am saying it seems really strange. As, I said before,
    you get someone to download your trojan/WORM and all you do is delete mp3s
    and popup a message about the Anti Piracy? Of all the things you could do,
    you do this? It is strange to me...The limited number of hackers/crackers I
    have met were generally anti-government, anti-rules etc, etc...just does
    not fit.

    > You seem to be painting all of them with the same tar brush.
    > Many thanks for your original link referral, but please in future read it
    > yourself and as frustrating for you as it may seem, leave the general
    > venting to your blog site.


    Well, I am not venting, Perhaps "painting" a little. I did read the post, it
    is you who is getting all hung up with the terms WORM and TROJAN.
    Technically it is both. Second, this is a security newsgroup. A trojan
    (worm if you like) is most definitely related to this newsgroup. If you do
    not like what I wrote...don't read it. I could not care less.

    > Kind regards,
    > DANG



    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 26, 2005
    #18
  19. Michael Pelletier

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:55:27 -0700, Michael Pelletier
    <> wrote:

    >...hence why I referred to is a trojan....but I guess I did not read the
    >article clear enough :) Or maybe I am just venting...or both..


    You are full of nonsense and missinformation.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Apr 26, 2005
    #19
  20. Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:55:27 -0700, Michael Pelletier
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>...hence why I referred to is a trojan....but I guess I did not read the
    >>article clear enough :) Or maybe I am just venting...or both..

    >
    > You are full of nonsense and missinformation.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com


    Ah, Jim, Jim, Jim-the-Gerbil-man yet again you are showing you are nothing
    more than an overly inflated bag of ass gas...

    From:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oi=defmore&q=define:trojan
    Definitions of trojan on the Web:

    1) a native of ancient Troy
    2) a program that appears desirable but actually contains something harmful;
    "the contents of a trojan can be a virus or a worm"; "when he downloaded
    the free game it turned out to be a trojan horse"
    3) of or relating to the ancient city of Troy or its inhabitants; "Trojan
    cities"

    Did you note number #2 or has your kindergarden class left you behind in
    reading again?

    Jim stick to gerbils...this technology thing is just to difficult for you...

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
     
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 26, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. benrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    453
    benrand
    Nov 21, 2003
  2. Lord Shaolin
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,717
    John Tate
    Aug 20, 2003
  3. code_wrong

    worm/spybot.17.t (worm spybot 17t) detected by AVG

    code_wrong, May 15, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    819
    code_wrong
    May 15, 2004
  4. Imhotep
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    747
    Edw. Peach
    Jan 30, 2006
  5. Danny

    Worm\Spybot (P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a)

    Danny, Aug 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    Danny
    Aug 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page