    cable line into a wireless router and installing a wireless NIC in my
    desktop? Also, are there any brands that I should be wary of or look at
    favorably? Thanks for any help!

    Ferny, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Ferny wrote:
    > Hello all. I would like to move my computer to our spare bedroom
    > where there is no cable outlet for our internet connection. Would I
    > be good plugging the cable line into a wireless router and installing
    > a wireless NIC in my desktop? Also, are there any brands that I
    > should be wary of or look at favorably? Thanks for any help!

    Get yourself a Netgear wireless router and a netgear PCI wireless NIC.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Ferny

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    May be this can Help.

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Ferny

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Buffalo is by far the best networking gear out there. It is better than
    NetGear, Linksys, and light tears ahead of the lowly Belkin product line. I
    make my living installing network gear, both consumer and industrial, and I
    can wholeheartedly recommend the Buffalo brand above ALL others for home
    use.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Ferny

    Ferny Guest

    "Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > May be this can Help.
    >
    > Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    >
    > Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
    >
    > Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >
    > Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks for the links, Jack. They helped a ton. One thing, it appears that
    the "G" standard is twice as fast as the "B" flavor. What does this mean in
    the real world? In my case, I play games online. Will a transmission speed
    of 54MB/sec be noticeable over 22Mb/sec when playing a hectic fragfest in
    Unreal? While money isn't an issue with this, I want to be sure I'm not
    paying for something I won't use. So what I want to know is: as a gamer, am
    I better with G or B?

    Ferny, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Ferny

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Time to clear up some confusion. The 54Mbps rating has nothing to do
    whatsoever with your Internet download speed. the 54Mbs is the theoretical
    limit of transfers between computers on the local network. Your internet
    speed is determined by your ISP, the line conditions, and the settings for
    the various hardware and software that are used while surfing the net, and
    the number of users inline in your NODE if you are using cable modem.. G is
    faster than G on the LAN, but also offers advantages in security.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Ferny

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Edit to above post;

    Last line should read that G is faster than B on the LAN and offers
    better security.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 20, 2004