    similar, but more reliable?

    Thanks you all!

    drgrbek

    Ryan Elkins, Sep 30, 2005

  2. "Ryan Elkins" <> wrote in message
    news:dhk7ns$2cn$...
    > Hi, new guy on the list here. My question is what is a good program to use
    > to "scrub" my hard drive of web site trails, deleted photos and

    documents.
    > I ve seen a few out there for download, but I cant afford most of the

    "good"
    > ones. Can anyone recommend a inexpensive/free one that excels at getting

    rid
    > of the "trails"?

    Depends upon shat you're running. Google is your firend here, but sdelete is
    reliable (one can argue forever what consitutes "adequate")

    > Also, I've been having such problems with Zone Alarm Security Suite

    (SPIT!),
    > that I have finally given up on it. Can anyone recommend a program that is
    > similar, but more reliable?

    Erm.. /anything/?

    Not a big fan of ZA.. my least-used annual subscription, by 50 weeks.

    Again, Google is your friend (can even search this froup, where the question
    comes up a lot). I like hardware routers, myself, but YMMV.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Ryan Elkins

    Giveitup Guest

    If you are tidying up after yourself to prevent embarrassing the wife and
    kids, there are several good, free or nearly free, programs out there. Even
    AD-Aware and Spybot remove some usage tracks. If you're trying to hide from
    LEA's none of the commonly touted products like Evidence Elim. etc. will
    prevent a forensic expert from finding enough to hang you out to dry. No
    newbie, or even most highly proficient users, understand the amount of
    intertwined information left behind on even a wiped harddrive. You will be
    in no position to judge whether the program has done as promised until the
    knock comes at the door.

    Giveitup, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Ryan Elkins

    Ryan Elkins Guest

    "Giveitup" <> wrote in message
    > If you are tidying up after yourself to prevent embarrassing the wife and
    > kids, there are several good, free or nearly free, programs out there.
    > Even
    > AD-Aware and Spybot remove some usage tracks. If you're trying to hide
    > from
    > LEA's none of the commonly touted products like Evidence Elim. etc. will
    > prevent a forensic expert from finding enough to hang you out to dry. No
    > newbie, or even most highly proficient users, understand the amount of
    > intertwined information left behind on even a wiped harddrive. You will be
    > in no position to judge whether the program has done as promised until the
    > knock comes at the door.

    OK, thats what I was looking for. No, I'm not a criminal, nor have I done
    anything that could be construed as such. Im just worried about trojans and
    the like, and the stuff they can put on my computer. So I take it the only
    way to eliminate everything on the HD would be to break into itty bitty
    bits? :)
    Thanks for the info. I do use a routrer between my PC and the net. Do those
    work well blocking garbage like spyware, trojans, etc?

    thanks

    drgrbek

    PS

    What does "LEA" stand for?

    Ryan Elkins, Oct 3, 2005
  5. Ryan Elkins

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:12:53 -0700, "Ryan Elkins"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. I do use a routrer between my PC and the net. Do those
    >work well blocking garbage like spyware, trojans, etc?

    Yes, but the best way of not getting these things is to 'just say no'
    to the rubbis you are presented.

    Whilst doing some researh yesterday I came across the following
    site, which has some good basic adice, well presented.

    http://onguardonline.gov/index.html

    Its nice to see that your tax dollars are being well spent.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Ryan Elkins

    Unruh Guest

    "Ryan Elkins" <> writes:

    >"Giveitup" <> wrote in message
    >> If you are tidying up after yourself to prevent embarrassing the wife and
    >> kids, there are several good, free or nearly free, programs out there.
    >> Even
    >> AD-Aware and Spybot remove some usage tracks. If you're trying to hide
    >> from
    >> LEA's none of the commonly touted products like Evidence Elim. etc. will
    >> prevent a forensic expert from finding enough to hang you out to dry. No
    >> newbie, or even most highly proficient users, understand the amount of
    >> intertwined information left behind on even a wiped harddrive. You will be
    >> in no position to judge whether the program has done as promised until the
    >> knock comes at the door.

    >OK, thats what I was looking for. No, I'm not a criminal, nor have I done
    >anything that could be construed as such. Im just worried about trojans and
    >the like, and the stuff they can put on my computer. So I take it the only
    >way to eliminate everything on the HD would be to break into itty bitty
    >bits? :)

    That is the best way, depending on how valuable you think the stuff is.
    Running a repeat write with a variety of bit patterns over teh whole drive
    will erase everything that someone who is unwilling to spend an hour a
    kbyte or more could find.

    Heat it as well, to red hot.

    >Thanks for the info. I do use a routrer between my PC and the net. Do those
    >work well blocking garbage like spyware, trojans, etc?

    No. Most come in through legitimate ports like http. You log onto bad sites
    and download the spyware/trojans/...
    A firewall router will a) make it hard for an outside machine find yours to
    attack, and b) make it hard to find open ports to attack. But if you invite
    the bad guys into the bedroom, ain't nothing the best locks on the door
    will do for you.

    Unruh, Oct 4, 2005