    this on my own. I am 31, single, and work full time. An additional 30+ hours
    a week is going to be tough on me! Any assistance on the quickest, yet most
    effective route for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=, Mar 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    kpg Guest

    Mikey2274 <> said something like

    > I guess my question is,
    > are these schools that charge $17,000 for a 6-12 month course actually
    > worth the money?

    No.

    > They seem to offer a lot of options and assistance
    > that I could not get if I tried to do this on my own.

    They want to assist you in giving them money.

    > I am 31, single,
    > and work full time. An additional 30+ hours a week is going to be
    > tough on me!

    I know.

    > Any assistance on the quickest, yet most effective route
    > for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

    Take the $17,000. Buy a book. Buy a computer. Build a network.
    Take the remaining $16,000 and put it in an IRA.

    kpg, Mar 8, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of kpg:

    >> Any assistance on the quickest, yet most effective route
    >> for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

    > Take the $17,000. Buy a book. Buy a computer. Build a network.
    > Take the remaining $16,000 and put it in an IRA.

    Exactly.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Mar 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    John Smith Guest

    i went to one of these "cert" schools, and quite honestly i was not
    impressed. your better off saving your money, and setting up your own labs
    and check out the mspress books that ms offers. save yourself a couple of
    grand

    John Smith, Mar 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    Grep Guest

    Excellent advice!!!

    Grep, Mar 8, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    vasco Guest

    And then 6-12 months later after passing your exams buy the next set of
    books and study the newly released version.

    vasco, Mar 10, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    Manny Borges Guest

    No. No, No.

    I am an MCT and I say NO.

    Of course I consider myself to be a real MCT and not some certification mill
    Microsoft Cerdified Reader .

    Go buy the books. Set up a lab, play and explore. If you find that you
    really love it, then after you have a few tests (yes tests)under your belt
    take a few advanced courses from a Training center that caters to
    proffesional development, not getting certified. Make sure they use MCTs,
    and demand your money back the first time you find the trainer reading
    complete paragraphs out of the MOC with the intent of direct instruction and
    not as a disussion point. (of course be realistic, there only so many ways
    to say some things)

    Pick and choose what you need to learn and learn at your own pace.

    And if you don't LOVE it, find something else.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who do understand binary
    and those who don't.

    Manny Borges, Mar 11, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

    kpg Guest

    As Manny Borges once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > No. No, No.
    >
    > I am an MCT and I say NO.
    >
    > Of course I consider myself to be a real MCT and not some
    > certification mill Microsoft Cerdified Reader .
    >
    > Go buy the books. Set up a lab, play and explore. If you find that you
    > really love it, then after you have a few tests (yes tests)under your
    > belt take a few advanced courses from a Training center that caters to
    > proffesional development, not getting certified. Make sure they use
    > MCTs, and demand your money back the first time you find the trainer
    > reading complete paragraphs out of the MOC with the intent of direct
    > instruction and not as a disussion point. (of course be realistic,
    > there only so many ways to say some things)
    >
    > Pick and choose what you need to learn and learn at your own pace.
    >
    > And if you don't LOVE it, find something else.

    Good advice. Especially the LOVE it part.

    kpg, Mar 13, 2006