noob guidance

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by polar086@gmail.com, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I've been doing a lot of research into all things VoIP lately:
    asterisk, voicexml, the JAIN API, OpenVXI, etc., etc. Having gained a
    basic appreciation of these various technologies, I was hoping someone
    could offer some insight into which option would best suit my goal:

    I need to build a relatively basic server architecture that can accept
    SIP calls from a remote user, pass audio (from the user) to a
    parser/recognizer/etc., and then returns pre-recorded audio and
    language recognition "scores". The usual features such as barge-in and
    silence-detection are preferred, but no sort of routing or PBX features
    are needed.

    The catch is, we are trying to do it with free tools, with a particular
    emphasis on implementing the Sphinx recognizer. The description of what
    I want to do is exactly what voicexml provides, but I have yet to find
    a voicexml solution in which I can incorporate Sphinx (and it seems to
    me that OpenVXI is a mess). I have looked into building a custom server
    using the Galaxy architecture, but I am having trouble finding
    information on how to establish a physical SIP connection. JAIN looks
    great, but unless Im mistaken, more lower-level work must be done to
    establish a connection (SIP stack?).

    I would really appreciate it if someone with some experience would
    offer a helping hand and give their impressions. Is it possible to
    implement voicexml with Sphinx? Would working from the group up with an
    SIP API be better? Could I strip down Asterisk to do the job?

    Thanks a lot.

    , Jul 13, 2006