    (different) return address, containing a common phrase in the beginning of the
    subject, and containing seemingly-random character strings in the body.

    , Apr 15, 2006

  2. Beck Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anybody explain what's behind the recent spate of nonsense posts?
    >
    > Coincidentally, a rash of them appeared on another NG - but all from the
    > same
    > (different) return address, containing a common phrase in the beginning of
    > the
    > subject, and containing seemingly-random character strings in the body.

    I tried blocking them as they seem to come from same person, but each
    name/address is slightly different so blocking only removes one. Can't be
    bothered to block them all. Might be a way to filter on the basis of "Alan
    Browne" or "Lionel Lauer".

    What is so odd is that there seems to be no point to them at all. No
    advertising links in them or anything to suggest its spam in that respect.

    Beck, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Per Beck:
    >What is so odd is that there seems to be no point to them at all. No
    >advertising links in them or anything to suggest its spam in that respect.

    That's what got me going on it - thinking that there might be a story behind
    them.

    Seems like a significant amount of work there - constructing nonsense phrases
    with a readable proportion/arrangement of verbs/nouns and so-forth.

    But the ones in the other NG were different in that the bodies had these
    seemingly-nonsense strings viz:
    ---------------------------------------
    5cE5CS9jL3By ODIhj8QzUzBn

    [anti-semitic rant snipped...]

    Christ is the ONLY way.

    IBZFp7F4 bdNzrww6ZF

    XGOZkfzgWQUqB wKHg29Pi8i
    p4mkNwfKU 6UWJNohHsBS
    ---------------------------------------

    OTOH, maybe there's a phrase-construction utility available somewhere and maybe
    two people just happened to come off their meds on the same day...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 15, 2006
  4. Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "(PeteCresswell)"
    <> wrote:

    > Per Beck:
    >>What is so odd is that there seems to be no point to them at all. No
    >>advertising links in them or anything to suggest its spam in that
    >>respect.

    > That's what got me going on it - thinking that there might be a story
    > behind them.

    No story beyond the fact that there are a few nutcases out there who
    like to distrupt newsgroups by posting (and crossposting) this stuff to
    them via open proxies. Some NSPs and ISPs who are on the ball will block
    this stuff after the arrival of the first few posts triggers their
    detection software.

    > Seems like a significant amount of work there - constructing nonsense
    > phrases with a readable proportion/arrangement of verbs/nouns and
    > so-forth.

    Believe it or not, somebody actually wrote an application specifically
    for this purpose, which is available for download from sites catering to
    hackers and vandals.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Apr 15, 2006
  5. SMS Guest

    Beck wrote:

    > I tried blocking them as they seem to come from same person, but each
    > name/address is slightly different so blocking only removes one. Can't be
    > bothered to block them all. Might be a way to filter on the basis of "Alan
    > Browne" or "Lionel Lauer".

    Yes, you can do this pretty easily, but any real posts from these
    individuals will also be blocked. I have extensive filters set up on my
    newsreader, and these posts don't get through.

    SMS, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Beck Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Beck wrote:
    >
    >> I tried blocking them as they seem to come from same person, but each
    >> name/address is slightly different so blocking only removes one. Can't
    >> be bothered to block them all. Might be a way to filter on the basis of
    >> "Alan Browne" or "Lionel Lauer".

    > Yes, you can do this pretty easily, but any real posts from these
    > individuals will also be blocked. I have extensive filters set up on my
    > newsreader, and these posts don't get through.

    What filter terms are you using?

    Beck, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Jem Raid Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can anybody explain what's behind the recent spate of nonsense posts?
    >
    > Coincidentally, a rash of them appeared on another NG - but all from the
    > same
    > (different) return address, containing a common phrase in the beginning of
    > the
    > subject, and containing seemingly-random character strings in the body.

    Set Helen onto 'em Grrr Grrr

    Jem

    Dramatised - Photography Granularised - Photographs
    Black and White - Prints Blue and White - Cyanotypes
    http://jemraid.wikispaces.com/

    Jem Raid, Apr 15, 2006
  8. SMS Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> Beck wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried blocking them as they seem to come from same person, but each
    >>> name/address is slightly different so blocking only removes one. Can't
    >>> be bothered to block them all. Might be a way to filter on the basis of
    >>> "Alan Browne" or "Lionel Lauer".

    >> Yes, you can do this pretty easily, but any real posts from these
    >> individuals will also be blocked. I have extensive filters set up on my
    >> newsreader, and these posts don't get through.

    > What filter terms are you using?

    In Outlook Express use "from line contains" rather than trying to filter
    on specific addresses. Just put in "Lionel_Lauer" etc.

    One good thing about Outlook Express is that it lets you apply your
    filters to headers that are already downloaded, you can't do that in
    Thunderbird. So you can clean up your newsgroups a lot easier in
    Outlook, plus you can immediately see if your filters are working as you
    expect.

    I generally prefer Thunderbird, but whenever a newsgroup is experiencing
    a large number of junk posts, I switch to Outlook until the spammers
    move on.

    SMS, Apr 15, 2006
  9. Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 15 Apr 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Beck wrote:

    > What filter terms are you using?

    At an offhand guess, if it's crossposted to more than two groups, I
    probably don't want to read it.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Apr 15, 2006
  10. Bill Guest

    lid wrote:

    >Can anybody explain what's behind the recent spate of nonsense posts?
    >
    >Coincidentally, a rash of them appeared on another NG - but all from the same
    >(different) return address, containing a common phrase in the beginning of the
    >subject, and containing seemingly-random character strings in the body.

    It's called "Sporge", from the spamming of forged posts.

    http://www.warezfaq.com/dealing_with_sporge.htm

    Bill, Apr 15, 2006
  11. Paul Bartram Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote

    > One good thing about Outlook Express is that it lets you apply your
    > filters to headers that are already downloaded, you can't do that in
    > Thunderbird. So you can clean up your newsgroups a lot easier in
    > Outlook, plus you can immediately see if your filters are working as you
    > expect.

    Are you sure about that? The only function that does is 'Block Sender' which
    will wipe out anything from the same sender as the post you have
    highlighted. But when I created a new rule to delete any post that includes
    [SI] in the title (which was most of that batch we got last week) the
    existing ones stayed there, but no new ones appeared.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Apr 16, 2006