    Whereas none of the routers in the list do..

    TIA

    Ton
    ton de w, Aug 31, 2006

  2. ton de w

    Merv Guest

    > I am looking at a list of CISCO routers and switches generated by a an
    > inventory script.
    > One of the categories is NonRoutingSwitches, which includes cat 35xx's.
    > I am not sure about this "NonRoutingSwitches".
    > Does this mean these are switches and therefor dont do routing, or that
    > these are`switches that just dont happen to do routing? - meaning I
    > suppose that there could be Cisco switches that do do routing.

    Some Cisco switches are strictly layer 2 switches and thus are not
    capable of routing.

    There may be layer 3 capable of routing that are not configured to
    perform routing.

    You would need to find out how the inventory script is decide to
    classify a switch as a
    "NonRoutingSwitches"

    > Just to confuse me even futher a couple of cat 3750s have BGP AS
    > numbers next to them.

    The 3750 is a layer 3 switch - translated it switches and routes ;-()
    Merv, Aug 31, 2006

  3. ton de w

    ton de w Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > > I am looking at a list of CISCO routers and switches generated by a an
    > > inventory script.
    > > One of the categories is NonRoutingSwitches, which includes cat 35xx's.
    > > I am not sure about this "NonRoutingSwitches".
    > > Does this mean these are switches and therefor dont do routing, or that
    > > these are`switches that just dont happen to do routing? - meaning I
    > > suppose that there could be Cisco switches that do do routing.

    > Some Cisco switches are strictly layer 2 switches and thus are not
    > capable of routing.
    >
    > There may be layer 3 capable of routing that are not configured to
    > perform routing.
    >
    > You would need to find out how the inventory script is decide to
    > classify a switch as a
    > "NonRoutingSwitches"

    Done that. The SysOIDs are checked against a list.

    > > Just to confuse me even futher a couple of cat 3750s have BGP AS
    > > numbers next to them.

    > The 3750 is a layer 3 switch - translated it switches and routes ;-()

    Ah I see. Thanx.

    I have also discovered that there are some 65xx's running catos and
    some running ios.
    I thought that catos was for switches and ios for routers, and that
    65xx's were switches.
    Do 65xx's really run ios and act as routers? I think I need to read
    some fine manuals.
    which URLs would be good?

    TIA

    Ton
    ton de w, Aug 31, 2006
  4. ton de w

    Merv Guest

    > I have also discovered that there are some 65xx's running catos and
    > some running ios.
    > I thought that catos was for switches and ios for routers, and that
    > 65xx's were switches.
    > Do 65xx's really run ios and act as routers? I think I need to read
    > some fine manuals.

    6500 can run :

    1. CATOS only

    2. CATOS OS on the Supervisor module and IOS on MSFC
    which is a daughterboard for Supervisor - known as hybrid mode

    3. IOS only - known as native mode

    for info on 6500 start with
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/tsd_products_support_general_information.html
    Merv, Aug 31, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    ton de w <> wrote:
    >I am looking at a list of CISCO routers and switches generated by a an
    >inventory script.
    >One of the categories is NonRoutingSwitches, which includes cat 35xx's.
    >I am not sure about this "NonRoutingSwitches".

    The Cat3550 is capable of routing. All of the Cat35xx and Cat37xx
    are. Note though that the Cat2950 and related models are NOT able to
    route -- and note that the Cat2900XL is a much older switch
    not related to the Cat2950 line. To add to the confusion, there used
    to be a Cisco 3000 unrelated to the Cat35xx/Cat37xx series, and
    there is a still-alive Cisco 36x0 line of routers.

    >Does this mean these are switches and therefor dont do routing, or that
    >these are`switches that just dont happen to do routing?

    In a later branch, you said that the script compared OIDs to
    a list in order to determine routing capabilities. That is not
    really the right way to do it. There is an OID which returns a bitmapped
    number indicating the general capabilities of the device.
    It is in the RFC1213 MIB, and is usually called system.sysServices
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1213#page-13
    If bit corresponding to the binary value for 4 is turned on then the
    device supports layer 3 services (i.e., routing.)
    Walter Roberson, Aug 31, 2006