    And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?

    Thanks guys,
    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    32-bit printer drivers will *not* work on Vista x64. Windows XP x64 drivers
    *might* work.

    I have a Canon MP530, works with x64 drivers from Canon's site.

    HP printer support in x64 seems pretty good. I have a PSC 2110 that worked
    fine, I understand most of the rest of the PSC series works fine. I am not
    familiar with the 4180.

    Acrobat's printing to PDF will not work in 64-bit Windows. They've
    announced Acrobat 8, arriving in November. Hopefully, this will have a
    64-bit PDF print driver.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 24, 2006

  3. You cannot run 32bit drivers in any 64bit version of Windows, including
    Vista. Period. I suggest you check in the
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup for advice on the
    driver situation for your printers. If Canon and HP are not listing Vista
    x64 drivers for your printers then you are not likely to get them working.
    Software issues are too numerous and varied to discuss in a newsgroup reply.
    You need to scan the Vista public newsgroups for what others have found. As
    for Acrobat, the best source is the Adobe website.

    You should not attempt to use Vista as your operating system on a production
    or primary home computer. If you are, you should wait until Vista is
    released and companies like Canon and HP have completed writing their
    drivers for Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 24, 2006
  4. PSC 1410 runs out of the box, both printing and scanning in Vista x64.
    For printing to PDF (I didn't try it), 32-bit freeware pdfcreator
    (sourceforge.net) should work.
    It does in Windows XP x64 so it might work in Vista x64.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 24, 2006
  5. I'm seeing lots of problems with ALL of the print to pdf solutions at this
    point, in both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista. It's a VISTA issue, not a 64-bit
    issue.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2006
  6. Larry Hodges

    Dshai Guest

    The print ot pdf issue also exists in XP Pro x64, just an fyi.

    Dshai, Oct 28, 2006
  7. yes, if you only use the Adobe solution. There are others, however, that are
    working well in x64 XP. I use deskPDF and am quite happy with it. But they
    need a Vista update, I'm afraid. :(

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 28, 2006
  8. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    If you want to use Adobe's PDF creator in Windows x64, you can print to a
    postscript file and then convert that to a PDF with Adobe Acrobat Distiller.
    (To print to a postscript file, install any postscript printer and select
    "FILE" as the output port.)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Sounds like too many steps. And most folks don't have distiller.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2006
  10. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    It is an extra step, but, if you have Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) which is
    what is used to create PDFs, then you have Distiller.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 29, 2006
  11. Oh, yeah, right. I'll give Adobe hundreds of dollars for that, sure I will.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2006
  12. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    :p I know.
    Since we were (kind of) on the subject of using Acrobat in x64, this is more
    a solution for people who already have Acrobat and want to be using it in
    XP/Vista x64. Otherwise, there are certainly cheaper ways to make PDFs.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 30, 2006