Non-Tech, But Industry Related Questions

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Joe Boland, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Joe Boland

    Joe Boland Guest

    Hey guys,

    I've posted here a few times, but had no real questions to ask until
    today...mainly because I'm somewhat adept at finding answers to
    technical questions myself...but the question(s) I have stray from the
    mundane "WHER ECAN I FIND BRAINDUMPZ 4 TEH MCSE EXAMS!!!!!!!11" that
    seem to flood this place, so at the risk of being flamed, I'll ask anyway.

    The place I'm working at is great for the most part, but there are a few
    issues that have really been plaguing me, especially when I've had time
    to dwell on them, such as on the commute home today...

    a) I've noticed a few EU's as of late wanting me to just drop everything
    I'm doing to take care of their problem, and are completely
    ignorant/indifferent of the fact that what I may currently be doing
    might be just a bit more important than cleaning the spyware off of
    their computer so they're not getting pop-ups or configuring MSN so
    it'll work on their *WORK*station (it's called that for a reason, folks.)

    b) I've been asked to start installing software on our business
    machines, which I find of questionable origin or legitimacy because the
    head office is too cheap to pay for REAL licensing. I already alluded to
    the doubt as to whether it's legit software or not, and was promptly
    assured by our site manager that it was all legit and had proper
    licenses and everything...though for some reason, she was adamant that I
    use the same key on all the PC's, and not register the product, which is
    what aroused my suspicion...that, and the fact that last I checked,
    Windows wasn't distributed on Maxell CD's with the key written on them
    in permanent marker. :p

    c) The computers we use have to be at least 6 years out of date, yet
    it's expected of us ("us" being ME) to deal with the equipment, and
    subsequent problems due to its sheer age and horrible mistreatment over
    the years.

    d) We have Windows 2000 servers, yet they INSIST on us using our
    computers in a workgroup-type environment because it involves less
    "administrative overhead" (which both you and I know is a crock - then
    again, I suppose MY staying after work on a consistent basis is less
    "overhead", as far as they're concerned), and as a result, another big
    thing I've been facing from EU's is the fact that they get refused
    access to the server a lot. Sorry folks, but thanks to the whole
    peer-to-peer idea, you're not all getting access. First come, first served.

    My big question is...how would you broach this stuff to your boss? I'm
    worried about the fact that I'll get the "you don't like it, there's the
    door", speech...but at the same time, I know people who've actually
    ended up taken to court because they installed pirated software for
    their company and ended up being held liable for it. I really have no
    idea what to do here. :(

    Joe Boland, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Joe Boland

    Briscobar Guest

    "Joe Boland" <> wrote in message

    Firstly...you may want to consider altering your email addy in your news
    reader. Leaving it unmunged opens up a can of worms you may not want to deal
    with (spam, swen, etc)

    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I've posted here a few times, but had no real questions to ask until
    > today...mainly because I'm somewhat adept at finding answers to
    > technical questions myself...but the question(s) I have stray from the
    > mundane "WHER ECAN I FIND BRAINDUMPZ 4 TEH MCSE EXAMS!!!!!!!11" that
    > seem to flood this place, so at the risk of being flamed, I'll ask anyway.

    Considering how much sh!t gets posted in here, merely acknowledging the fact
    that you're not "one of them" almost ensures that you'll get a reasonable
    response.

    > The place I'm working at is great for the most part, but there are a few
    > issues that have really been plaguing me, especially when I've had time
    > to dwell on them, such as on the commute home today...
    >
    > a) I've noticed a few EU's as of late wanting me to just drop everything
    > I'm doing to take care of their problem, and are completely
    > ignorant/indifferent of the fact that what I may currently be doing
    > might be just a bit more important than cleaning the spyware off of
    > their computer so they're not getting pop-ups or configuring MSN so
    > it'll work on their *WORK*station (it's called that for a reason, folks.)

    Happens here too. Mainly with the vice president. She's always calling me in
    to show her how to print pictures of her ugly grandchild. When it happens to
    the run-of-the-mill lusers, I simply make a little comment about how the
    spyware wouldn't be there if they didn't use the internet, but when it
    happens with the VP and other higher-ups, I just shut up and deal with it.
    If it continues to happen with the same luser over and over, I'd just inform
    his/her/its boss.

    > b) I've been asked to start installing software on our business
    > machines, which I find of questionable origin or legitimacy because the
    > head office is too cheap to pay for REAL licensing. I already alluded to
    > the doubt as to whether it's legit software or not, and was promptly
    > assured by our site manager that it was all legit and had proper
    > licenses and everything...though for some reason, she was adamant that I
    > use the same key on all the PC's, and not register the product, which is
    > what aroused my suspicion...that, and the fact that last I checked,
    > Windows wasn't distributed on Maxell CD's with the key written on them
    > in permanent marker. :p

    Someone suggested a while back to have your boss sign off on it as
    his/her/its idea, accepting all responsibility. Write up a little disclaimer
    stating that you, in no way, will be held responsible for any illegal
    software theft. Sign it and have your boss do the same. Refuse to install
    any more software until he/she/it signs it. He/she/it will either sign it
    and accept all responsibility, hoping to never get caught, or he/she/it will
    not sign it, for fear of getting caught - in which case he/she/it will
    rethink the company's software policies. Hard to believe they'd fire you
    over refusing to break the law, so make it clear that you'll accept all
    responsibilities *INSIDE* the company, but as soon as it becomes an outside
    matter, you're not to blame.

    > c) The computers we use have to be at least 6 years out of date, yet
    > it's expected of us ("us" being ME) to deal with the equipment, and
    > subsequent problems due to its sheer age and horrible mistreatment over
    > the years.

    Ah yes. This is known in the industry as "a day at the office". Underpaid,
    understaffed, and underpowered. It will catch up with them sooner or later.
    Just deal with it, and have some fun when the sh!t finally hits the fan.

    > d) We have Windows 2000 servers, yet they INSIST on us using our
    > computers in a workgroup-type environment because it involves less
    > "administrative overhead" (which both you and I know is a crock - then
    > again, I suppose MY staying after work on a consistent basis is less
    > "overhead", as far as they're concerned), and as a result, another big
    > thing I've been facing from EU's is the fact that they get refused
    > access to the server a lot. Sorry folks, but thanks to the whole
    > peer-to-peer idea, you're not all getting access. First come, first

    served.

    Hey, at least you're not stuck with a bunch of 98 machines and no servers.
    At my last company, I wasn't the IT department, but I did a little IT work
    here and there, and I had to troubleshoot security on an all-windows 98
    workgroup. Printers weren't working, network shares weren't being accessed.
    That was my first exposure to networks, and it was brutal. Good place for
    training, but it was a nightmare. Don't really know what to tell you, here.
    Unless they're aware of the benefits of running a domain, they're just not
    going to change. Because IT-wise, it is a big change. And you know
    manglers - they just don't like change.

    Briscobar, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Joe Boland

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Joe Boland climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    > My big question is...how would you broach this stuff to your boss? I'm
    > worried about the fact that I'll get the "you don't like it, there's the
    > door", speech...but at the same time, I know people who've actually
    > ended up taken to court because they installed pirated software for
    > their company and ended up being held liable for it. I really have no
    > idea what to do here. :(

    Heh. You could almost be working here.<g> The main thing I see is you need
    to CYA. I have heard of techs being dragged into court over pirated warez
    installed under orders from above. No matter how great your job is, it's
    not worth that. Glad to say that of all the crap that our two jobs have in
    similar, at least my mangler keeps up on licenses. If your lusers are
    demanding time from you to do clean ups and installs that are non-work
    related, then report them to their manglers. If their manglers do nothing,
    then go to the top and explain how they are not only causing uneccessary
    work, but are compromising his company data. That oughta get some
    attention.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Joe Boland

    kpg Guest

    "Joe Boland" <> wrote in message
    ># Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\158782.htm (2/9/2005 10:54:28 AM)
    >#
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > My big question is...how would you broach this stuff to your boss? I'm
    > worried about the fact that I'll get the "you don't like it, there's the
    > door", speech...but at the same time, I know people who've actually ended
    > up taken to court because they installed pirated software for their
    > company and ended up being held liable for it. I really have no idea what
    > to do here. :(

    My first instinct would be that you inform your boss about your concerns
    being sure to word it as though you were concerned about the liability the
    company was exposing itself to as opposed to your personal liability. But
    then the Catch-22 kicks in...if you inform your boss then it could be
    demonstrated that you knew you were installing pirated software...

    So I guess the correct answer is to play dumb...I was just following orders
    is still a good defense no matter what anyone says.

    But then that is bad advice.. so here is what you do.

    Inform your boss, in writing, that he is pirating software and you will not
    work for an organization that pirates software, and quit you job on the
    spot.

    Good Luck.

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    Visit MCNGP.com for a chance to win.

    kpg, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Joe Boland

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "kpg" <> say in news:eEshkmsDFHA.3972
    @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > I was just following orders
    > is still a good defense no matter what anyone says.

    worked well for teh nazis

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    - Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.

    Neil, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Joe Boland

    Extech Guest

    Joe,
    I feel your pain. Speaking as an ex-tech, I've been
    through similar situations. It seems to me that a little
    lesson has to be taught. Sometimes a guru's best asset is
    his reputation. My suggestion, start showing them what
    can work and how it can work. You'll have to be a bit of
    a salesman, and you obviously wont get a lot of funding
    from them. But if you focus on the fact that downtime
    cost's exponentially, gain their confidence in your
    ability, and provide them with test machines when you want
    to make a pitch, you could be captain there soon.

    Extech, Feb 14, 2005