Non-Standard Use of MPLS

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bob, May 27, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dear MPLS-Experts,

    I am aware that MPLS is intended to be used for switching purposes, but
    I was wondering if anyone knows about implementations or plans that
    make use of MPLS in a non-standard way, like

    - MPLS is still used to make forwarding decisions, but the stack
    contains also non-forwarding relevant information either in Exp bits or
    in separate labels (type of information possibly identified by Exp
    bits)
    Or
    - The MPLS stack is only used as a "vehicle" to encode additional
    non-forwarding relevant information. Forwarding decisions are still
    based on the underlying protocol (e.g. IPv4).

    When talking about non-forwarding relevant data, I am thinking of
    information used for encryption, network statistics, billing, etc ...

    If there is anything out there (or maybe planed by IETF or whoever)
    that makes use of MPLS-like stacks as described above, I would be happy
    to hear about it (URLs, papers, ...).

    Thanks and have a nice weekend!

    Bob

    Bob, May 27, 2005