    A Petro Guest

    Why do I continually get " Non Responding " messages . What can I do about
    it ?
    A Petro, Jun 8, 2011

  2. A Petro

    UCLAN Guest

    A Petro wrote:

    > Why do I continually get " Non Responding " messages . What can I do about
    > it ?

    Start responding. ;)
    UCLAN, Jun 8, 2011

  3. A Petro

    me again Guest

    A Petro wrote:
    > Why do I continually get " Non Responding " messages . What can I do about
    > it ?

    What happens if you send to yourself or your neighbor?
    me again, Jun 8, 2011
  4. A Petro

    Paul Guest

    A Petro wrote:
    > Why do I continually get " Non Responding " messages . What can I do about
    > it ?

    That's when the OS cannot get a response from a program, within a certain
    period of time. It could be, that the program is stuck in a loop, and
    is not responding to some event interface that it is supposed to.

    Sometimes, the program begins to respond later, so you shouldn't "End Task"
    unless it is well and truly stuck.

    If you have anti-virus software, if the program in question is infected,
    sometimes the antivirus and the program get into a fight, and the
    symptoms might be "Not Responding". You should be careful in that
    case, and perhaps do a scan with another tool, to see if the
    machine is clean.

    This is an example of a free scanning CD.

    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

    "Iso image of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (196 MB)"

    That is a bootable CD, which when you boot the computer with it, will
    contact Kaspersky (using DHCP to get an IP address from your router),
    and download the latest virus definitions. You then use the tick
    boxes, to select the partition(s) you want scanned.

    That is an example of an "off-line scan". Windows is not running
    when you use that. The CD is based on Gentoo Linux, with an AV
    application loaded in it, to scan for malware.

    *******

    If your problem is not malware, or caused by your antivirus, you
    can also consider doing a "Repair Install" of Windows XP. To do
    that, you should uninstall IE 8 or IE 7, and return the machine
    to IE 6 (try to match the version of IE used by the original
    Windows install CD). A "Repair Install" doesn't change your
    program settings or user data, but will try to put back the
    operating system files. But if your problem is Malware, a Repair
    Install won't fix it. A Clean Install would, but is more work.

    Note that, when a computer is infected, the System Restore
    restore points are also infected. So you can't escape from
    malware by using System Restore. A Clean Install is the
    closest thing to a solution (short of receiving guided help
    from a web site dealing in malware).

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 8, 2011
  5. PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING and slow to load a program are kissing cousins. They
    are essentially varying indications of the same malady.

    My guess is that you have insufficient/defective RAM.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
  6. A Petro

    Kele Guest

    Lacking RAM (like me), you can help your PC by stopping unnecessary
    background services that are running/using the limited resources - it helps.

    If you open Windows Task Manager (cont+alt+delete), you have how many
    processes running (bottom left)? With XP, I can get mine down to 19.

    Consult http://www.blackviper.com/category/guides/service-configurations/
    for the services page for your OS. He assumes you aren't on a home network,
    so don't abide by Viper's tweaked settings for every category.

    -----

    After a power outage, I sometimes loose ALL of my Services... most are
    disabled. I know this has happened because of mouse error pop-ups. I go to
    Services and start "Plug and Play" to stop the mouse error. I cannot
    connect to the Internet either. Fortunately, I saved the applicable
    BlackViper Services settings page.mht to my hard drive and refer to that as
    I restore necessary services. Is there a way I can save my Services
    settings preferences!?
    Kele, Jun 9, 2011